Canon S3 IS owners

Old May 9th 07, 10:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jackson Bryan

Default Canon S3 IS owners

Just how bad is the purple fringeing & CA issue.
Is it something you see a lot or just when pixel-gazing.

Any other issues that , had you known, would have put you off buying it.

JB

Old May 9th 07, 12:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Ortt

I have had mine since christmas and I love it.

As with all things it is a compromise but I think it's a bloody good one!
Don't get me wrong, It is no SLR but then I wouldn't like to carry a 450mm
lens around with me all day
For info I also have a Ixus 50 (for when I don't want a bulky camera) and a
300D for 'proper' photography.

Old May 9th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Garry Knight

Jackson Bryan wrote:

Just how bad is the purple fringeing & CA issue.

The CA has only been evident for me at full optical zoom in very bright
sunlight at F2.7 (don't know if the aperture makes a lot of difference)
along white or near-white edges, and then only when viewed at 1:1 or
thereabouts. I don't know if any post-processing makes the problem worse,
though.

Any other issues that , had you known, would have put you off buying it.

No, but a couple of points to note:

1) The manual focus is fiddly; it would be nice to have one-button access to
focus at infinity.

2) The LCD is hard to see in direct sunlight, and the EVF is low resolution,
so you can get shots where the S3 has focused on something other than the
subject.

Other than that it's a great camera: fast with a great spec.

--
Garry Knight

Old May 10th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan

"Jackson Bryan" wrote in message
Just how bad is the purple fringeing & CA issue.
Is it something you see a lot or just when pixel-gazing.

Any other issues that , had you known, would have put you off buying it.

JB

Had mine about 10 months and have been very disappointed with it. Main
things I am not happy with is the noise and washed out skies that seem a
feature of the pictures I take whilst out walking. Tried all different
setting and basically get better results with my 4 mega pixel panasonice DMC
L70. I know it's never going to compete with a DSLR but my picture taking
has taken a step backwards since I aquired the Canon I reckon. Now seriously
considering getting a DSLR and something pocket size for my walking snaps.

Old May 10th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nick c

Jackson Bryan wrote:
Just how bad is the purple fringeing & CA issue.
Is it something you see a lot or just when pixel-gazing.

Any other issues that , had you known, would have put you off buying it.

JB

I've had mine for just a couple of weeks and I sure do like using it.
It's a lot easier to toss that into my truck rather than taking my big
heavy bag with me every time I leave home. I bought a LensMate adapter
to use with 52mm filters 'cause I have a bunch of 52mm filters that I
used when I had Nikon equipment. I darn sure use them when I need to
use them. I should mention that I also use Cokin graduated filters
with the S3. I guess I should upload some shots for you to make a
judgment call for yourself. I'll have to get around to doing that ....
someday.

If I were to complain about something it darn sure would be the noise
in low light at ISO 800. However, since I know it's bad, I don't use
ISO 800. The view finder is a little on the dark side on a bright and
sunny day and the brightness adjustment (which has to be made
separately through the viewfinder) doesn't seem to help much. However,
using a ND 2x (or ND 4x, depending upon the intensity of daylight)
brightens the viewfinder. Anyway, it works for me. Using the LCD in
daylight is a lost cause, but LCD's are not all that good in bright
daylight anyway. Naturally, when I'm in a more serious picture taking
mood, I use my other dSLR's. As for what you're asking, no I don't see
that a lot

If I knew what I now know about the S3 when I was buying it, I would
still buy it. Then again, I didn't pay a lot for the camera. I like
the camera; it does what I expect it to do. The IS system works well,
shutter lag time is reasonably short (better than my old Olympus
5050), and though the focusing is not fast it's still faster than my
old P&S camera. If asked, I would recommend the S3. I've heard the S3
is a better camera than the new S5, but I can't verify that. As I
mentioned before, the S3 is not my only camera.

Old May 10th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nick c

Here is a photo I took of my truck using the S3 camera, as I left the
local camera store. Note the reflection of the street in the bumper.

http://www.pbase.com/nchen711/image/78561576