DPREVIEW samples v reviews

Old April 27th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jackson Bryan

Default DPREVIEW samples v reviews

Can you really get an accurate idea of what a camera can do from the samples
section on dpreview.
Sometimes it seems that a camera that is highly recommended in dpreview and
indeed elsewhere has
awful dodgy looking samples....or is it the latop monitors are'nt up to
displaying any photo without that grainy oversharpened look?
The Nikon D40 samples and review are an example.
The samples put me right off it.

JB

Old April 27th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
frederick

Jackson Bryan wrote:
Can you really get an accurate idea of what a camera can do from the samples
section on dpreview.
Sometimes it seems that a camera that is highly recommended in dpreview and
indeed elsewhere has
awful dodgy looking samples....or is it the latop monitors are'nt up to
displaying any photo without that grainy oversharpened look?
The Nikon D40 samples and review are an example.
The samples put me right off it.

JB

I'm looking at a few - including high iso shots and originals as well as
cropped versions, and they look pretty darned good to me on a calibrated
diamondtron crt. The jpegs at high iso look much better than my old
d70, but are noticeably quite a lot softer than d70 raw.
Laptop screens generally suck.
You can probably get quite a good idea of what a camera can do from
those samples - so long as you note the lens used, settings, and whether
they were raw or ex-camera jpg.
Old April 27th 07, 06:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Jackson Bryan wrote:
Can you really get an accurate idea of what a camera can do from the
samples section on dpreview.
Sometimes it seems that a camera that is highly recommended in
dpreview and indeed elsewhere has
awful dodgy looking samples....or is it the latop monitors are'nt up
to displaying any photo without that grainy oversharpened look?
The Nikon D40 samples and review are an example.
The samples put me right off it.

Relying on a laptop isn't the best way to judge any photo... Their test
shots are far more revealing than their "sample" shots of ferris wheels,
etc. Check out their lab tests and I think you'll find them quite
revealing.
www.pbase.com/markuson