Need help on carbon fiber tripods

Old April 24th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Need help on carbon fiber tripods

Hi,

I currently have Gitzo 1228 and 1348 carbon fiber tripods.
The 1228 is about 21 inches folded length and weighs 3.4 pounds.
I also have very small travel tripods that are 8 inches
and less in folded length, but are too small extended
and not very sturdy.

I would like a smaller carbon fiber tripod, like 12 to 15 inches
in length, with 4 sections extending to something like 40
inches or more. Gitzo has a whole new lineup of tripods and
the GT1540T ($560) or GT1550T ($640) seem close to what
I would like in size and weight. These cost more than
I paid for my Gitzo 1228, a much more capable tripod.
Is there a lower cost alternative? Carbon fiber tripods
were already very expensive but Gitzo's new lineup is
pushing new levels of greed. Does anyone have experience
with these tripods and what justifies the huge increase in
cost? Is there some similar carbon fiber tripod from
another manufacturer that is lower in cost but still good
carbon fiber performance? (What are the largest leg diameters?)

Second question: any recommendations for a ball head:
I have arca-swiss B1G and B1 ball heads (B1 on the Gitzo 1228).
I would like something a little smaller than a B1 but still
have good control (separate azimuth tension and lock from
the ball tension and lock). The head should have a 3/8-inch
post with no clamp (I'll add a Wimberly clamp).

The tripod and head will hold typically a Canon 30D with
wide to normal lenses up to 70-200 f/4 L IS plus 1.4x TC.

Roger
Old April 24th 07, 07:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Toby

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in
message ...
[...]

I have a Gitzo 3 section aluminum tripod (forget the number but it's similar
to the 1227), and both Velbon and Slik carbon fiber legs of similar
diameter. I've done some tests and actually can't find much difference
between them in terms of flexing, weight capacity, etc. A Japanese camera
mag ran some carbon fiber tests as well, and the most significant
determinant of tripod stability was leg diameter. Tripods are not rocket
science--rigidity depends mostly on wall thickness and leg diameter. The
Gitzos, I read, have slightly thicker walls and are thus slightly more rigid
than their competitors, but the difference is really quite small. I have
been quite happy with the build quality of both the Velbon and the Slik.
They are not quite as "haute couture" as my Gitzos but they are well
designed and completely functional--good leg locks, etc. I haven't checked
out their model line lately, but they may have something similar to what you
are looking for.

Toby

Old April 24th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Repacholi

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" writes:

I would like a smaller carbon fiber tripod, like 12 to 15 inches
in length, with 4 sections extending to something like 40
inches or more. Gitzo has a whole new lineup of tripods and

Slik do some nice CF pods, and a 99% of an Arca BH for a fraction
of the price. The pods are also a fraction of gutso's price as well...

Can get the models for you if need be, drop me mail.
Old April 25th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Oliver Costich

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 01:44:05 +0800, Paul Repacholi
wrote:

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" writes:

I would like a smaller carbon fiber tripod, like 12 to 15 inches
in length, with 4 sections extending to something like 40
inches or more. Gitzo has a whole new lineup of tripods and

Slik do some nice CF pods, and a 99% of an Arca BH for a fraction
of the price. The pods are also a fraction of gutso's price as well...

Can get the models for you if need be, drop me mail.

The Slik ballheads are OK but don't have the great Arca Swiss type
clamp system.

I'd go Benro for ballheads and tripods for the biggest bang for the
buck. The Benro CF tripods are pretty close to a Gitzo in every way,
right down to having the same type of logo in the same placement. I
have a C228 which is less than half the price of the nearly identical
Gitzo.

For ballheads, there's nothing that's really a bargain and really
good. There's nothing quite as nice to use as a real Arca Swiss,
Really Right Stuff, Kirk or Markins ( and a few others). All use the
AS clamp system. The Benros are a good compromise for the money, being
similar in design to the Arca or Kirk heads.