Pentax PEF file format changes each time for a new DSLR model?

Old April 16th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Pentax PEF file format changes each time for a new DSLR model?

Whilst I am really excited to see a new lineup of Pentax DSLR to come,
I am disappointed that to see the RAW file format of this new DSLR has
probably been changed, again, as in the recent two years. The fact is
that the "PEF" RAW file formatS of the *ist D, *ist DS, *ist DL are all
different, i.e., 3 different formats, despite they are just all called
the PEF. Now it seems that the fourth format is coming!

I have just downloaded the "PEF" files of the coming new Pentax DSLR
K-100D (tentative name) from the following Russian links listed:-

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=18033866

I found that this new PEF is somehow DL's one alike but now that the
AWB information cannot be retrieved anymore by the Silkpix!(?). Thus,
it would mean that a fourth format is created by Pentax! It can be
retrieved by *my* Pentax PHoto Browser 2.11 but again it cannot be
opened by *my* Pentax Photo Lab 2.10 for the *ist DS (Do note that the
PPL 2.1 for the DS is DIFFERENT from the PPL 2.1 for the DL, despite
Pentax have never told this. What an amazing software version numbering
afterall!)

But I just wish to ask why this is needed?? Do Pentax really need to
change the "PEF" file format each time for a new DSLR? What is/are the
benefit(s) for doing so?? Well, at least I know this would cause much
inconvenience for the old users and software vendors.. just because of
the *always* changing of file format is causing incompatibility problem
from time to time.

Ironically, I chose Pentax in the 80s because Pentax *was* the best
company who committed in ensuring the best possible backward and
forward company in those days. Thus, this was a very good reason for me
to enter into their system. But now..

Anyway, this reflects the attitude and responsibliness of a company, to
a very high extent.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

Old April 16th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On 16 Apr 2006 04:24:41 -0700, "RiceHigh"
wrote:

[snip anti-Pentax rant]

Anyway, this reflects the attitude and responsibliness of a company, to
a very high extent.

Buy a Canon, they don't do this sort of thing... right?

Oh dear, I see they do. And so do Nikon. Well would you
believe it - RH talks bull**** again. Nothing changes.

--
John Bean

Old April 16th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"John Bean" wrote in message
On 16 Apr 2006 04:24:41 -0700, "RiceHigh"
wrote:

[snip anti-Pentax rant]

He made a valid comment about the file format - only someone like you would
construe that as a 'rant'

Nothing changes

As you are still sneering and bullying RH, I agree, nothing does change.

Have you got long to live?.......

Old April 16th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Each different sensor & internal processor requires slightly different
instruction set so you get every camera has a different RAW file. This
is a problem as some manufaturers are excluding older cameras from
their RAW editors, thus making those cameras totally obsolete but
unuseable too.. There is a movement to get RAW processors using a
universal file typeto process. So far Leica and Hasselblad are
accepting the Adobe standard. Other camera makers continue to redo
their RAW instruction set with each camera.

Tom