Large fiber-base paper?

Old March 16th 06, 07:46 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Large fiber-base paper?

I know I can still get large resin-coated black and white paper
on rolls. However, I'm looking for a tolerable (that is,
preferably not Ilford, no matter who's selling it this week)
fiber-base paper in sizes larger than 20x24.

I know I'll pay through the nose. But does _anyone_ still
sell this?

--
Thor Lancelot Simon

"We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others." - H.L.A. Hart
Old March 16th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
I know I can still get large resin-coated black and white paper
on rolls. However, I'm looking for a tolerable (that is,
preferably not Ilford, no matter who's selling it this week)
fiber-base paper in sizes larger than 20x24.

I know I'll pay through the nose. But does _anyone_ still
sell this?

Freestyle had fibre rolls of Kentmere. Or at least I think they do. When I
priced the stuff it seemed about equal to 8x10 paper if you compared square
inches to square inches. If you know what I mean.

Even on the website-)

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...pid=1000001131

Nick
--
---------------------------------------
"Digital the new ice fishing"
Old March 17th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
Greg \"Blank\" - Lizard King. wrote:
In article ,
(Thor Lancelot Simon) wrote:

I know I can still get large resin-coated black and white paper
on rolls. However, I'm looking for a tolerable (that is,
preferably not Ilford, no matter who's selling it this week)
fiber-base paper in sizes larger than 20x24.

I know I'll pay through the nose. But does _anyone_ still
sell this?

Forte sells rolls 42" x 33 ft Fiber based semi matte and glossy.
We import it and the minimum is 4 rolls cash in advance with
no cancellation if you buy it direct, at one point K&M camera in
NYC would purchase a lot of the paper from us and would keep it on
hand. If your interested I can provide you additional details.

Do you know if K&M still has it, and if so, if they have it fresh?

I can't imagine I will have a need for four rolls any time soon,
particularly if the material is the warm-tone paper and not the
Bromofort. Is it graded, or VC?

I have had mixed experiences with K&M in the past; they're not bad
folks, but when there have been supply issues with various materials
only they stock (or only they stocked at the time), they've sold me
stuff that I thought was perhaps a bit past its prime. Of course,
these were materials I couldn't get _anywhere_ else (e.g. semimatte
Bromofort in c. 1993) so perhaps I should have been a bit more
careful, myself.

Old March 17th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

(Thor Lancelot Simon) wrote:

I know I can still get large resin-coated black and white paper
on rolls. However, I'm looking for a tolerable (that is,
preferably not Ilford, no matter who's selling it this week)
fiber-base paper in sizes larger than 20x24.

I know I'll pay through the nose. But does _anyone_ still
sell this?

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Freestyle
www.freestylephoto.biz sells Kentmere fiber paper in rolls 20" x30' and
40"x30'. Check out their website. I use Kentmere paper and it is excellent.

Frank Rome, NY
Old March 18th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:12:42 -0500, "Greg \"Blank\" - Lizard King."
wrote:

Forte sells rolls 42" x 33 ft Fiber based semi matte and glossy.

Hmmm, I'm thinkin "panaramic" !

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net
Old March 18th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article ,
(Thor Lancelot Simon) wrote:

Do you know if K&M still has it, and if so, if they have it fresh?

Don't know their stick status, you can email me direct if
you wish. But I can check when I return as of monday to see who has
bought it recently, usually K&M would supply it to the bigger printing
places in NYC. The rolls are available for Poly graded Warmtone & Poly
graded Neutral FB & RC. In both surfaces - Glossy and Semi matte.

I can't imagine I will have a need for four rolls any time soon,
particularly if the material is the warm-tone paper and not the
Bromofort. Is it graded, or VC?

The Bromofort would be a special special order as no one orders
it,....I toyed with doing 16x 20 sheets at one point becuase I like it!
but the requirement of 5 fifty sheet boxes dissuaded me.

I have had mixed experiences with K&M in the past; they're not bad
folks, but when there have been supply issues with various materials
only they stock (or only they stocked at the time), they've sold me
stuff that I thought was perhaps a bit past its prime. Of course,
these were materials I couldn't get _anywhere_ else (e.g. semimatte
Bromofort in c. 1993) so perhaps I should have been a bit more
careful, myself.

IIRC;

K&M- FYI was the first importer of Forte, they brought the paper in
from the start, I don't know exactly how it happened but they lost the
initial distribution, It went-K&M, GMI, Satter, Omega-Satter.
--
The things we hate most in life often turn out to be a mirror image
of ourselves. Better not to hate.

Findmedirectly - "infoatgregblankphoto.com"
Old March 18th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

wrote:

Forte sells rolls 42" x 33 ft Fiber based semi matte and glossy.

Hmmm, I'm thinkin "panaramic" !

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net

My short term goal is to set up that 10 x10 enlarger, build a 4x10 back
for my Tachihara 8x10 camera then print them full frame onto large
sheets of paper. I have toyed with the idea of actually making the image
area 4x 9 for color so I can scan the full frame with my dinky 2450
scanner.

Old March 18th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

(Thor Lancelot Simon) wrote:

Do you know if K&M still has it, and if so, if they have it fresh?

Don't know their stick status, you can email me direct if
you wish. But I can check when I return as of monday to see who has
bought it recently, usually K&M would supply it to the bigger printing
places in NYC. The rolls are available for Poly graded Warmtone & Poly
graded Neutral FB & RC. In both surfaces - Glossy and Semi matte.

The Polygrade is the variable-contrast, right? It's been a while, and
I have trouble keeping the product names straight. Let's see if I
can remember: "Elegance" is the warmtone, graded paper, available in
300-weight; "Bromofort" is the cold-tone, graded paper, in single and
double; Polywarmtone and Polyneutral are VC, double-weight, warm and
neutral respectively?

I remember thinking that if I could only get Bromofort in a supergloss
surface, it would be a good match for Elite; I still have a few prints
I have trouble reproducing on any other material now that Elite is no
longer on the market. Bromofort has somewhat higher contrast through
the highlights, but there are ways of dealing with that.