tripod head - bogen 3130 advice (vs 3030) needed

Old April 17th 05, 10:59 AM
larrylook

Default tripod head - bogen 3130 advice (vs 3030) needed

I bought the bogen 3001N with 3030 head online used, but they sent it to me
the 3130 head, which appears to be $14 dollars more when purchases new. I
may keep the 3130 but I'm having a problem with it that maybe the 3030 would
solve. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions as I'm totally new to
tripods.

When I'm shooting horizontally (landscape), with the 3130, if the ground is
uneven and the L (or R) side of the camera is lower or higher, there appears
to be now way to solve the problem! Is this normal! The only way I can get
the L (or R) side higher (or lower) is by shortening or raising the tripod
legs, which is totally annoying. The same goes for vertical shooting too.
There are not enough axis of rotation, and you must shoot on completely
level land for the camera to be level!

If I return the head and ask for the head I ordered (3030) will it solve
this problem? Online photos show the 3030 has 2 handles, not one, so maybe
there are more axis of turning which may be what I need. I occasionally
shoot at a lake and the ground is uneven and I'd like the horizon level
which apparently can't be done with the 3130, unless I'm missing something.
I can't believe the 3130 can't be used on unleveled ground at all. Any
advice would be appreciated.

See photos he
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ku=5263&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ku=5385&is=REG

Old April 17th 05, 03:27 PM
Al Denelsbeck

"larrylook" wrote in
:

[...]

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...list&A=details
&Q=&sku=5263&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...list&A=details
&Q=&sku=5385&is=REG

Get the 3030. The 3130 is a fluid head intended for video cameras,
which are usually used in a "level" environment. In order to pan
effectively (and not produce a roller-coaster movie), the tripod has to be
level in the first place, so adding the ability to tilt the camera platform
is usually unnecessary. The 3130 thus does not have the ability, as you've
noticed, The 3030 does.

Or, for a totally different option, look at a ballhead, where one
release lever allows you movement in all axes. If you ever find yourself in
situations where re-aiming the camera quickly is useful, you'll thank
yourself many times over.

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old April 18th 05, 03:09 AM
larrylook

Thanks very much. I will send it back. I guess I should consider a ball
head if they give me a choice vs. just sending me a new 3030. Can you
recommend a good ball head in the $50-80 range if there is one.

Old April 18th 05, 05:47 AM
William Graham

"larrylook" wrote in message
Thanks very much. I will send it back. I guess I should consider a ball
head if they give me a choice vs. just sending me a new 3030. Can you
recommend a good ball head in the $50-80 range if there is one.

I like the model 3265 grip action ball head.....See:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...=2707&pid=2908 At $86
it's only a tiny bit above your price range......

Old April 18th 05, 10:45 AM
Roxy d'Urban

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:47:34 -0700, William Graham wrote:

"larrylook" wrote in message
Thanks very much. I will send it back. I guess I should consider a ball
head if they give me a choice vs. just sending me a new 3030. Can you
recommend a good ball head in the $50-80 range if there is one.

I like the model 3265 grip action ball head.....See:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...=2707&pid=2908 At $86
it's only a tiny bit above your price range......

I have one of these (Manfrotto 222). It's okay for sports photography, but
then again it can cause fatigue of the hand.

For landscape and macro photography it simply doesn't offer enough
stability for shake-free imagery. I now use the cheaper 3-way 141 head.

--
The good old days start now.

Old April 18th 05, 06:33 PM

"larrylook" writes:

When I'm shooting horizontally (landscape), with the 3130, if the ground is
uneven and the L (or R) side of the camera is lower or higher, there appears
to be now way to solve the problem! Is this normal! The only way I can get
the L (or R) side higher (or lower) is by shortening or raising the tripod
legs, which is totally annoying. The same goes for vertical shooting too.

That is what you should be doing for fast easy set-up. Hold the tripod at the
top so it hangs straight down, then release the legs and move it so the top
is level. Then lock the legs. Do a fine adjust if needed.

A MF 58 is ideal for this as all the locks are at the top. Bigger
units with the lock WAAAY away need practice to reach them with out
screwing up the leveling.

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.