My new NiMH batterie

Old August 20th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

Default My new NiMH batterie

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:19:50 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I load the batteries and plug the charger in. The lights briefly flash
green, then go out. I figure that this means the batteries are already
charged.

No. It may mean that something is wrong, either with the
batteries or with the charger. If the batteries are traditional
NiMH AAs, they won't have much of a charge at all. If they're the
newer "pre-charged" batteries, they're still very unlikely to be
fully charged. I can't say how your charger was designed, but with
all of the ones I've used, if I put NiMH batteries back in them
shortly after they were charged, they'll usually charge for at least
a minute or two, not briefly, before the charging stops.

So I load them in the camera. But the camera won't turn on. I load the
batteries in my TV remote control and it works OK.

Just to be sure, carefully check that the batteries were correctly
inserted. If one or both are inserted the wrong way, the camera
won't work, and this is all too easy to do, as many cameras don't
clearly mark the necessary insertion polarities on the camera.

Any ideas? Are the batteries charged up already? The charger manual
says that the charging lights should turn off when charging is
complete. The Fuji manual says NiMH rechargeables are OK.
Thanks from a puzzled newbie.

Many of the TV remotes I've used can last many years without
requiring the batteries to be changed. NiMH batteries that need to
be recharged can probably provide what it takes to operate the low
power remotes while still being unable to provide sufficient power
for cameras that may require hundreds of times more current. If you
have a flashlight/penlight that uses AA cells, see if they're able
to power the light for several minutes. If they're only able to
last for seconds, produce a feeble glow or none at all, they either
need to be charged, or are no good and need to be replaced.

Unfortunately, you don't yet know if your new charger is working
properly or if one or more of the new batteries are defective.
Either could be responsible for what you are seeing. Ideally, you'd
either have, or be able to borrow another known-good charger and a
few good, rechargeable AA cells. Then you'd be able to test the new
batteries with the old charger and the new charger with the old
batteries. If you can't do this, here's one more possibility.

Try to charge just one or two of the batteries, not all four.
Then try to charge the others. If only one or two of the AA cells
are defective, it may prevent the charger from being able to
function, but only with the defective battery(ies). If this is what
you see, you'll know that the charger is good, but one or two of the
batteries were bad.

Old August 26th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your reply.
It turns out the batteries weren't seated correctly in the charger.
Remove and reinstalling them a couple of times fixed this.
For a pair of NiMH AA batteries which didn't complete the charge cycle
(I removed them after 6.5 hrs of charging, rather than the recommended
8hrs) I got 3 days use on holiday. 100 pics, 90% daylight non-flash.
Bruce

They generally get better after a few cycles.