FUNNY PICS LOVE THE 40D!

Old August 17th 08, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Troy Piggins[_17_]

Default [OT] UIP and filters (Was: FUNNY PICS LOVE THE 40D!)

* m II wrote :
* Troy Piggins wrote:

I think you have misunderstood http://improve-usenet.org then.
The idea is to filter based on the posting agent, GG, not
people's email addresses.

No misunderstanding. Thunderbird won't filter on more than a few
headers. I'm limited to Subject, From or Date. Out of those three,
'From' is the only viable option.

If you're not misunderstanding the UIP, then you are
misrepresenting it. Participating in the UIP means filtering
"googlegroups" in the Message-ID. If you're using TB, the UIP
tells you other ways to achieve this.

http://improve-usenet.org/participating.html

You are not participating in the UIP.

There are ways around the problem, but I've had enough success with
'From' that I won't be needing any extra programs. The '.cn' in the
address filtering alone gets rid of over half my junk mail.

Like I said, that's fine and you can filter on what you like.
Whatever works for you. But you are misrepresenting and
misquoting the UIP.

--
Troy Piggins
I always appreciate critique.
Old August 19th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
m II

Troy Piggins wrote:

Like I said, that's fine and you can filter on what you like.
Whatever works for you. But you are misrepresenting and
misquoting the UIP.

I am not quoting anything, but in order to avoid any future
misunderestimatings, I've edited the .sig file. I hope it meets with
your approval.

Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage,
I block all postings with a Gmail, Google Mail,
Google Groups or HOTMAIL address.
I also filter everything from a .cn server.

For solutions which may work for you, please check:
http://improve-usenet.org/

mike
Old August 19th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Troy Piggins[_17_]

* m II wrote :
Troy Piggins wrote:

Like I said, that's fine and you can filter on what you like.
Whatever works for you. But you are misrepresenting and
misquoting the UIP.

I am not quoting anything, but in order to avoid any future
misunderestimatings, I've edited the .sig file. I hope it meets with
your approval.

Due to the insane amount of spam and garbage,
I block all postings with a Gmail, Google Mail,
Google Groups or HOTMAIL address.
I also filter everything from a .cn server.

For solutions which may work for you, please check:
http://improve-usenet.org/

It's more correct in terms of describing what you're filtering
and directing people towards the UIP without it appearing that
you are actually implementing it.

However you do not have my approval for that sig as it's way too
long to comply with any sort of netiquette guidelines (4 lines)
and it doesn't have the appropriate sig delimiter ("-- ").

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

Always happy to help.

Old August 23rd 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Troy Piggins wrote:

Of course you can choose to filter on whatever you like, it's
your filter. But you are quoting a URL with a particular
philosophy that you are not adopting. You'd be more correct if
you left your philosophy there in your sig and removed the URL,
or actually embrace the philosophy of the UIP and killfile based
on M-IDs. Your sig is misleading.

Thunderbird (the best compromise for my use) cannot filter but on a few
parameters such as subject and from. That is imperfect, but allows
removal of @gmail.com and @googlemail.com for example.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 24th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

Alan Browne wrote:
Troy Piggins wrote:

Of course you can choose to filter on whatever you like, it's
your filter. But you are quoting a URL with a particular
philosophy that you are not adopting. You'd be more correct if
you left your philosophy there in your sig and removed the URL,
or actually embrace the philosophy of the UIP and killfile based
on M-IDs. Your sig is misleading.

Thunderbird (the best compromise for my use) cannot filter but on a few
parameters such as subject and from. That is imperfect, but allows
removal of @gmail.com and @googlemail.com for example.

Most important, you can filter on .cn
Allen
Old August 24th 08, 05:31 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Troy Piggins[_17_]

* Alan Browne wrote :
Troy Piggins wrote:

Of course you can choose to filter on whatever you like, it's
your filter. But you are quoting a URL with a particular
philosophy that you are not adopting. You'd be more correct if
you left your philosophy there in your sig and removed the URL,
or actually embrace the philosophy of the UIP and killfile based
on M-IDs. Your sig is misleading.

Thunderbird (the best compromise for my use) cannot filter but on a few
parameters such as subject and from. That is imperfect, but allows
removal of @gmail.com and @googlemail.com for example.

I understand that. But what I was talking about was that the
person I was following up to was quoting a URL to
http://improve-usenet.org/ in their sig. The UIP is not about
filtering based on email addresses, it's about filtering based on
User-Agent being googlegroups. I was merely pointing out that
UIP was being misrepresented, but believe the sig has since been
amended.

TB's filtering is not really that useful on it's own. But if you
run a local newsproxy like Hamster or NewsProxy, which you can
setup to do some very powerful filtering, it's much better. More
he

http://improve-usenet.org/filters_ex2.html

(Note that I don't believe in the philosophies of UIP myself.
But my newsreader and news proxy both have extensive scoring and
filtering capabilities and rules in place.)

Old August 24th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Allen wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Troy Piggins wrote:

Of course you can choose to filter on whatever you like, it's
your filter. But you are quoting a URL with a particular
philosophy that you are not adopting. You'd be more correct if
you left your philosophy there in your sig and removed the URL,
or actually embrace the philosophy of the UIP and killfile based
on M-IDs. Your sig is misleading.

Thunderbird (the best compromise for my use) cannot filter but on a
few parameters such as subject and from. That is imperfect, but
allows removal of @gmail.com and @googlemail.com for example.

Most important, you can filter on .cn
Allen

It's in as well.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 24th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Troy Piggins wrote:
* Alan Browne wrote :
Troy Piggins wrote:

[...]

Do you mean that that will filter before TB gets the news from the
newsserver?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old August 24th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Alan Browne wrote:
Troy Piggins wrote:
* Alan Browne wrote :
Troy Piggins wrote:

[...]

Yes, I have newsproxy (on a PC) add the string |GG| to the subject if it
comes from User-Agent: googlegroups then Thunderbird filters for |GG|
and marks those as read & flagged. You can delete of course but it's
useful to see what folks are replying to. It's also possible to make a
white-list of friends from gg, just find their email first, do nothing &
the list of filter checks stops after the first match. Or scoring... not
sure how that works.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old August 24th 08, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Paul Furman wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
Troy Piggins wrote:
* Alan Browne wrote :
Troy Piggins wrote:

[...]

Gotcha. I'd need the same sort of thing for Max OS X. I'll look into it.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.