Thank You All for advice on scanning b/w negatives

Old April 3rd 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Thank You All for advice on scanning b/w negatives

In my post, I asked for advice on scanning b/w negatives for the
purpose of making contact prints.
I received 39 responses that were all usefull, much more than I
expected.
I did get the Epson 4990 scanner as suggested, and it does a great job
of making "contact prints" for the darkroom.
I also learned that contact prints are not necessary, just look at the
positive image on the monitor, then classify the negatives as yes, no,
maybe. I do not have to save the scan or the contact print.
I can crop and tone on the monitor, but these are secondary features.
The other consideration in getting the 4990 is to use it as a darkroom
densitometer. This is the subject of an article in the Jan/Feb 2006
issue of PHOTO Techniques magazine. I got a calibrated step wedge and
can now fine tune my developer/time to the print paper.
This is all very usefull for me and has eliminated much of the darkroom
drudgery, freeing up more time for print making.
Thank You All Again
Ken Kaiser

Old April 3rd 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Two things you could try:

The Print File pages that hold 6 strips of 6 (if the glass plate of your
scanner will hold these sheets, the size is a mite larger than the 7x5 Print
File pages. You might have to cut and fit a piece of 1/4" plate glass to
hold the negatives completely flat. (Have your glass jobber grind the edges
smooth.)

Saunders makes a "glassless" plate of plastic that would hold strips of
negative. Saunders Super Proofer:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/...SASP35/REG/747

Bonus idea, take the glass top plate from a Paterson 35mm contact printer
and use that, it had a plastic holder for the negatives. See:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/...PAPC35/REG/747

--
darkroommike

"Lew" wrote in message
t...
Is there any provision for holding 6 strips of 6 35mm exposures flat a la
good old fashioned, wet darkroom proof sheets? I'm especially interested

in
those films (eg Efke) that are produced on a curly acetate base.
-LS
oups.com...