Reducing Negative Contrast

Old July 17th 04, 04:35 PM
ATIPPETT

Default Reducing Negative Contrast

I develop TRI-X in D76. I rate the film at about 280. I would like to reduce
the contrast but maintain detail in the negative. I have attempted to
accomplish this by deluting the developer and extending the devilopement time.
Is apporach sound and I should just contiune further delutions or am I barking
up the wrong tree?

Alan Tippett
Old July 17th 04, 04:54 PM
Tom

1. Exposure determines shadow density of the negative (transparent areas).

2. Development time determines highlight density of the negative (dark areas).

2. The difference between the two determines contrast.

4. Since the modern practice is to use minimum shadow density, the only way to
adjust contrast is to change the highlight density.

5. Reducing development time reduces highlight density and will therefore reduce
contrast. Increasing development time will increase contrast.

6. If you chose to ignore item 4 above increasing exposure without changing
developing time will also reduce contrast, but will result in a denser grainier
negative.

BTW, diluting the developer and extending the time results in the same level of
development, but you do tend to get higher edge definition. You can dilute the
developer, or reduce the time, to reduce the contrast of the negative.

Old July 17th 04, 05:02 PM
Mark A

"ATIPPETT" wrote in message
I develop TRI-X in D76. I rate the film at about 280. I would like to

reduce
the contrast but maintain detail in the negative. I have attempted to
accomplish this by deluting the developer and extending the devilopement

time.
Is apporach sound and I should just contiune further delutions or am I

barking
up the wrong tree?

Alan Tippett

Negative contrast is a function of development time. To reduce contrast, cut
your development time. Diluting the developer usually has the same effect of
cutting development time (assuming the development time remains the same).

Old July 17th 04, 08:33 PM
Donald Qualls

ATIPPETT wrote:

I develop TRI-X in D76. I rate the film at about 280. I would like to reduce
the contrast but maintain detail in the negative. I have attempted to
accomplish this by deluting the developer and extending the devilopement time.
Is apporach sound and I should just contiune further delutions or am I barking
up the wrong tree?

Alan Tippett

With the dilution you're using now, try reducing agitation (say, every
three minutes instead of every minute); this may require extending
development somewhat, but should allow you pretty fine control of
contrast by small alterations in time combined with alterations in
agitation. Generally, less agitation gives lower overall contrast,
without (much, if any) loss of shadow detail.

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Old July 17th 04, 10:23 PM
Richard Knoppow

"ATIPPETT" wrote in message
I develop TRI-X in D76. I rate the film at about 280. I

would like to reduce
the contrast but maintain detail in the negative. I have

attempted to
accomplish this by deluting the developer and extending

the devilopement time.
Is apporach sound and I should just contiune further

delutions or am I barking
up the wrong tree?

Alan Tippett

Contrast is a function of development time, overall
density a function of exposure. However, lowering
development time may also require an increase in exposure to
keep the minimum density from falling off the toe.

Diluting developer allows lengthening the development
time so can be useful for reducing contrast where the time
gets too short. For other than machine processing a time of
around 8 or 10 minutes is desirable to insure uniform and
controlable development.
For most films a change of one paper grade will be gotten
by adjusting the time + or - about 30%, for shaped crystal
films like T-Max the same change in contrst may take only a
20% change in time. The change in effective EI from "normal"
contrast will be about 3/4 stop.

What sort of subject are you shooting and how do you
print?

Old July 22nd 04, 10:13 PM
Lloyd Erlick

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 11:54:57 -0400, Tom tom@localhost

6. If you chose to ignore item 4 above increasing exposure without changing
developing time will also reduce contrast, but will result in a denser grainier
negative.

jul2204 from Lloyd Erlick,

This is actually a very interesting option. I have had
occasion to print negatives from my past, which I caused to
be quite exceptionally dense. The prints were very
beautiful; tonality was very, very attractive. They were
fairly easy to print, too, once the correct exposure range
was found. I had no complaints with the grain, either. I'm
sure it was measurably larger, but I don't think anyone
would choose not to make a print on that account. The film
was Tri-X.

There used to be a writer named Pery C. Yob who advocated
negatives like this. I tried his advice and liked the
prints. I'd call it a legitimate, specialized technique for
use when one wants the particular tonality, and reduced
contrast. It's nice for portraits, sometimes. I've only
printed these negs on warm tone, FB materials.

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
voice: 416-686-0326