Do YOU want to process images like NASA?!

Old May 8th 05, 08:16 PM
RichA

Default Do YOU want to process images like NASA?!

Well all it's image processing capability can be yours for....
FREE!

http://www-mipl.jpl.nasa.gov/external/vicar.html
Old May 8th 05, 08:36 PM
Alan Browne

RichA wrote:

Well all it's image processing capability can be yours for....
FREE!

http://www-mipl.jpl.nasa.gov/external/vicar.html

Show us your results first... be a leader.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 8th 05, 08:36 PM
RichA

On Sun, 08 May 2005 15:36:05 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

RichA wrote:

Well all it's image processing capability can be yours for....
FREE!

http://www-mipl.jpl.nasa.gov/external/vicar.html

Show us your results first... be a leader.

Hey, I don't even know if it will RUN on my computers!
-Rich
Old May 8th 05, 08:55 PM
Alan Browne

RichA wrote:

Hey, I don't even know if it will RUN on my computers!

I bet it involves *nix first. Then you get to adapt and recompile. And
then you have to write a few shells. Then you have to convert your RAW
to a format it will read. And then ...

And probably, in the whole, totally useless compared to what you already
have in PS.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 9th 05, 01:22 AM
Chrlz

That's a good quick headline, but isn't this stuff specifically for
high-end Solaris/Unix systems? If you are going to post this stuff,
perhaps a little more investigation as to relevance might be in order..

Old May 9th 05, 04:29 AM
DoN. Nichols

In article om,
Chrlz wrote:
That's a good quick headline, but isn't this stuff specifically for
high-end Solaris/Unix systems? If you are going to post this stuff,
perhaps a little more investigation as to relevance might be in order..

The impression that I got from reading the web page was that it
was in source code form for just about any unix (complete with a "porting
guide".

Obviously, faster wider-bus CPUs would benefit it, as would
high-end graphics cards with hardware support for 3D -- but I suspect
that with one of the games-optimized graphics cards on a fast Intel based
unix (OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Linux of one of several forms, etc), you could
get excellent performance.

And, FWIW, you can currently download the latest version of
Sun's Solaris (Solaris 10) for free -- other than the connect time to
download a DVD-ROM's worth of data (five chunks) plus a CD-ROM's worth
of data (the "Software Companion" CD for open source programs
pre-compiled for Solaris). That took me a while, even with a T1 feed. :-)

I am somewhat less certain how useful it would be to most of us,
but someone needs to try it before we will find out.

After all -- the "workflow" envisioned here is from slow RF
links from far distant spacecraft through enhancement and manipulation
for eventual display. (Think of the information from the Mars Rovers as
an example.)

Still -- it would be interesting to see what it can do for the
likes of us.

If I had seen a link for downloading it, I would be in that
process now. However, I am somewhat slowed down by the need to contact
someone at JPL to get a CD-ROM snail-mailed to me. (And they are
unlikely to answer a request on Sunday, anyway. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old May 9th 05, 04:41 AM
james

RichA wrote:
Well all it's image processing capability can be yours for....
FREE!

http://www-mipl.jpl.nasa.gov/external/vicar.html

There's also IRAF, which is developed literally in the building
next door to me at this moment, runs on pretty much anything, and
is doing a fine job for IR astronomy going on here in Tucson.

http://iraf.noao.edu/
Old May 9th 05, 05:27 AM
Stacey

DoN. Nichols wrote:

In article om,
Chrlz wrote:
That's a good quick headline, but isn't this stuff specifically for
high-end Solaris/Unix systems? If you are going to post this stuff,
perhaps a little more investigation as to relevance might be in order..

http://www.aas.org/publications/baas...abs/S2803.html

Dos version?

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/neuronet/projects/Vicar.doc

Looks like it's for extracting frames from an MPEG video stream, yea that's
useful for digital photography..

--

Stacey
Old May 9th 05, 06:14 AM
DoN. Nichols

In article , Stacey wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

In article om,
Chrlz wrote:
That's a good quick headline, but isn't this stuff specifically for
high-end Solaris/Unix systems? If you are going to post this stuff,
perhaps a little more investigation as to relevance might be in order..

http://www.aas.org/publications/baas...abs/S2803.html

Dos version?

And from FORTRAN code -- this is from an earlier version, as the
Unix version was ported to C from the original FORTRAN used in the VMS
version.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/neuronet/projects/Vicar.doc

And a Word ".doc" file, at that. Good thing that I have
StarOffice installed. :-)

Looks like it's for extracting frames from an MPEG video stream, yea that's
useful for digital photography..

I wonder what other features it has, which might be more useful
to us. And I wonder how the C-based version for unix systems differs.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old May 9th 05, 07:36 AM
Stacey

DoN. Nichols wrote:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/neuronet/projects/Vicar.doc

And a Word ".doc" file, at that. Good thing that I have
StarOffice installed. :-)

Me too. :-) BTW I've been using mandrake 10.1 for a while and love it. Been
a Linux user since redhat 5.1 days....

Looks like it's for extracting frames from an MPEG video stream, yea
that's useful for digital photography..

I wonder what other features it has, which might be more useful
to us. And I wonder how the C-based version for unix systems differs.

I'm sure some of the docs at the first link explain what it does. It appears
to be more about dealing with cleaning up MPEG encoded digital video which
can get pretty ugly!

--

Stacey