Please can someone recommend a good sub-£250 ($470) digital camera?

Old March 23rd 05, 10:10 AM
Alex

Default Please can someone recommend a good sub-£250 ($470) digital camera?

Hi all,

I seem to have been looking for ages but I get so bogged down in
technical specs. that I don't really understand. I would buy either
new or used.

Here are my requirements, in order of importance.

- good image quality and resolution (nice lens/processor & 5mp +)
- optical zoom (3x +)
- good macro ability
- portability (prefer compact, but would consider SLR)
- manual exposure controls
- video capture (must do more than 30 seconds)
- good battery life
- easy user interface
- 'rapid fire' mode

the following would be desirable but not necessary

- 'advanced' manual settings
- timer
- ability to attach lenses

So if anyone can tell me of a camera that does all that, in my price
range, I'd be really grateful. As I said, I'd be happy to buy a used
camera, also if there is a camera that's a little more expensive but
much better value then I'd consider that too (but I'd prefer to stick
to my price range if possible).

Thanks in advance!
Old March 23rd 05, 10:48 AM
BigBird

"Alex" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The movie mode spec may exclude an awful lot of close fits. What fps and
resolution do you need.
The Canon A95 for instance
may not been high enough spec for the movie mode.

By rapid fire do you mean continuous shooting mode or are you referring to
some thing else.

Old March 23rd 05, 01:06 PM
Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

I strongly recommend you go for shopping to the mall or whatever, I don't
know what you get in Britain for 250 quid.IMHO you shouldn't buy something
used, it's disgusting to use something someone else has used before, the
grit of his fingers etc.Better get a cheaper new camera.Last but not
least:if someone is selling an used camera, there is some reason (maybe a
tiny glitch?)because otherwise he would be keeping it until it died.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

Old March 23rd 05, 02:21 PM
Melba's Jammin'

In article , "Dimitrios Tzortzakakis"
wrote:

Last but not least:if someone is selling an used camera, there is
some reason (maybe a tiny glitch?)because otherwise he would be
keeping it until it died.

I disagree. Some people just have to have the newest whatever that
wasn't available on the used camera. And there are other reasons. My
first digicam is/was a Kodak DC4800 -- a very fine camera and it still
works just swell. I don't use it anymore--I have a Canon A80 that
shoots 3-minute video clips with sound if I want it to, and the lens
retracts into the camera for easier pants-pocket storage. And it has a
flip screen that makes it easy for taking pictures from odd angles. I'm
trying to decide what to do with the DC4800.
--
-Barb, www.jamlady.eboard.com Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.