Download software

Old January 16th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

Default Download software

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:15:57 -0800, Ockham's Razor wrote:

I am frustrated with the Nikon software for downloading from my camera
to the computer. The SW from Canon for my wife's P&S works great and I
can put the shots anywhere in our picture management files.

I have tried to use the Canon software via a card reader but it is not
recognized.

Graphic Convertor works but is slow as it seems to download all the
pictures first then gives you the option of which to keep and which to
discard.

Using Mac G-5 with OS X.3.9.

TIA

I don't understand why you need proprietary software to download images.
Can't you just mount the camera as a mass storage device and download?
That's what I do in Linux - actually, I usually use a USB card reader, but
the other works too.

Old January 17th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

ray wrote:
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:15:57 -0800, Ockham's Razor wrote:

I am frustrated with the Nikon software for downloading from my camera
to the computer. The SW from Canon for my wife's P&S works great and I
can put the shots anywhere in our picture management files.

I have tried to use the Canon software via a card reader but it is not
recognized.

Graphic Convertor works but is slow as it seems to download all the
pictures first then gives you the option of which to keep and which to
discard.

Using Mac G-5 with OS X.3.9.

TIA

I don't understand why you need proprietary software to download images.
Can't you just mount the camera as a mass storage device and download?
That's what I do in Linux - actually, I usually use a USB card reader, but
the other works too.

He doesn't. But he wants recommendations for best alternatives on the Mac.

--
John McWilliams
Old January 17th 07, 12:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stewy

In article ,
Ockham's Razor wrote:

I am frustrated with the Nikon software for downloading from my camera
to the computer. The SW from Canon for my wife's P&S works great and I
can put the shots anywhere in our picture management files.

I have tried to use the Canon software via a card reader but it is not
recognized.

Graphic Convertor works but is slow as it seems to download all the
pictures first then gives you the option of which to keep and which to
discard.

Using Mac G-5 with OS X.3.9.

I can't quite see the point of using the maker's software at all.
There's always some irritation or just plain limitation - they wouldn't
give it away free if it was _that_ good.

Just plug in the card reader and download to your main drive and then
immediately backup to an external drive or DVD.

Toss the software in a drawer somewhere and forget about it.
Old January 17th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 21:06:02 +0900, Stewy
wrote:

I can't quite see the point of using the maker's software at all.
There's always some irritation or just plain limitation - they wouldn't
give it away free if it was _that_ good.

What gives you the idea they give it away for free?
They sell the software, and include the camera for free.
It's *THAT* good!
:-)

--
Arnold Schwarzenegger was at
the Golden Globes Monday to
Old January 20th 07, 06:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Stewy

wrote:

I can't quite see the point of using the maker's software at all.
There's always some irritation or just plain limitation - they wouldn't
give it away free if it was _that_ good.

What gives you the idea they give it away for free?
They sell the software, and include the camera for free.
It's *THAT* good!
:-)

Bloomin' heck! I never thunk of that!