Screwed by Canon Rebate

Old December 29th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Bill

Default Screwed by Canon Rebate

T Shadow wrote:

I used to agree but think it has changed. Recently bought a Ultra HDD
enclosure at CC. Didn't look closely enough at the rebate PDF until readying
the paperwork. The rebate has to go through an operation called
OnRebate.com. An obvious data mining operation. I refuse to do business with
an outfit like this and will relinquish the $20 to keep from it. I'll never
buy a product again with a rebate that goes through something like this.

Onrebate.com is just a different rebate processing company (with
really picky rules about their rebate submissions and a
requirement that you submit it online and then print and mail
the form). Please tell us how you figured out that they are a
data mining operations any more than Parago (rebateshq.com) and
the other rebate processors??? Parago also lets you submit your
forms online.

Interestingly, Ultra seems to have switched to another company
as of December.

Bill
Old December 29th 06, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Steve

Andrew White wrote:
If you're not Scott, let me tell you something: rebate are a scam only
if you're a stupid and lazy slob. I get every single rebate I file.

Andrew, you are, of course, our hero. Only you could state with
absolute certainty that no rebate in history has ever remained unpaid
unless the submitter was a lazy slob.

--

Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.

....G.K. Chesterton
Old December 29th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Glen

"Steve" wrote in message
Andrew White wrote:
If you're not Scott, let me tell you something: rebate are a scam only
if you're a stupid and lazy slob. I get every single rebate I file.

Andrew, you are, of course, our hero. Only you could state with
absolute certainty that no rebate in history has ever remained unpaid
unless the submitter was a lazy slob.

It's Andrew's MO. This guy is a hoot! When you get bored, read some of his
postings, he's proof, the Indian used to screw the buffalo.

Old December 29th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair

In article ,
HeyBub wrote:

I got a rebate check sometime back. It came in a nondescript envelope via
"Bulk Mail" (now known as "Standard Mail").

At least it was in an envelope. The last check I got was printed on a
postcard.

--
http://yosemitenews.info/
Old December 29th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
anon

go to fatwallet.com and check the 'rebates' forum. You
may be able to get contact info there for someone at
Canon, the retailer, or the rebate house.

it may be a cliche, but it's true that the squeaky wheel
gets the grease. If you're not going away like many do,
you should get someone to take care of you.

good luck.

Old December 29th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
T Shadow

"Bill" wrote in message
T Shadow wrote:

[...]

Ever read Websites Privacy Policies?
Know what a web beacon is?
I've used other online operations. This is going way too far IMHO.

Old December 29th 06, 11:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
The Etobian

On 29 Dec 2006 09:56:01 -0800, "-hh"
wrote:

It would appear that their excuse was because they were able to "lose"
your UPC since you didn't physically attach it.

I bought a Canon from a big-box store several years ago. Canon tried
to B.S. their way out of the rebate even though I stapled the UPC to
the form, and scanned what I did. After a year of complaining, I
finally got my $50 rebate. In rersponse to my complaints, they kept
asking for "new" things, like the front page of the printer manual,
"photocopy" of the printer driver CD, etc.

I also had cc.'d the big-box store. The week before I got my check
from Canon, the store offered to pay me $50 in cash, which I got when
I went to the store.

Did I cash the check? Hell, ya. I consider it payment for the time
Canon made me jump through hoops by falsely denying my rebate.
Old December 30th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
clifto

-hh wrote:
John wrote:
There's no other way of phrasing it: CANON RIPPED ME OFF EVEN THOUGH I
FOLLOWED ALL THE RULES.

Actually, it is the Redemption company who is Canon's representative
who is doing the "ripping offing".

It would appear that their excuse was because they were able to "lose"
your UPC since you didn't physically attach it.

I don't have to go back to the OP's article to know that he expressly
said he *always* attaches the UPC to the rebate form with tape.

--
Nazi: a person who is winning an argument with a liberal.
Old December 30th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,comp.periphs.scanners,misc.consumers,rec.photo.marketplace,alt.home.repair
Barry Watzman

Sales taxes are collected on mail-in rebates, they are NOT collected on
"instant rebates".

The rest of your post is conjecture that may be true in some cases and
not true in others. From the customer's perspective, it doesn't matter:
An instant rebate is just a sale price (and sales taxes are NOT paid
on the rebate amount; only the "net" rings on the register and is
charged tax).

M Berger wrote:
You have missed a big part of the picture.

With mail in rebates, the store sales figures aren't
decreased as they would be with the instant reduction.
Localities like it because they get the full sales tax
amount.

In most cases the store doesn't pay the rebate, the parent
company or manufacturer does.

Barry Watzman wrote:
An "instant rebate" isn't a rebate at all, it's just a sale price.
And no doubt that it's better than a mail-in rebate of the same
amount, but you will NEVER find "instant rebates" that are the
equivalent of the larger mail-in rebates. The rebate "system" depends
on the fact that only a minority of buyers will ever apply for the
rebate.