Nikon D200 vs. D80

Old September 11th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
W Chan

Default Nikon D200 vs. D80

I suppose they are in different class targeting different customers.
However I look at the specs. and find the D80 is really catching up.

I have just sold my D70 to upgrade my gears.

What do you think?

w.

Old September 11th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jim

"W Chan" wrote in message
I suppose they are in different class targeting different customers.
However I look at the specs. and find the D80 is really catching up.

I have just sold my D70 to upgrade my gears.

What do you think?

w.

I would rather have a D200 because it can use AI and AI-S lenses with
electronic rangefinder and aperature priority metering. This is a definite
advantage over the D70.

The only real advantage of a D80 over the D70 is the increased sensor pixel
count (which can be quite an advantage).

As for me, I am keeping my D70 until the next big evolution.

Jim

Old September 11th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ftran999

"W Chan" wrote in message
I suppose they are in different class targeting different customers.

"supposedly" the D80 is targeted towards amateurs or current D50/70 owners
looking to upgrade, whereas the D200 is geared towards advanced amateurs and
pros.
However I look at the specs. and find the D80 is really catching up.

I have just sold my D70 to upgrade my gears.

What do you think?

I myself am torn between the D200 and the D80. When the D200 first came out
it seemed like the right camera for me. However, I put off purchasing
one and now the D80 has come along. Upon intitial comparison between the
two, it seemed the only difference was a better constructed body on the
D200 and more segments on the metering on the D200. To me this did not
justify the extra $700 for the D200, so the D80 seemed the more logical
choice.
However, the complicate things further, lurking on the Nikonian.org site, I
discovered that the D80 uses a compressed RAW format while the D200 uses a
non compressed format. What I am going to do is wait awhile for various
review sites to do comparisons between the two cameras. I would like to see
them specifically address the compressed vs non compressed RAW issue.

w.

Old September 12th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

It's lossless compression so it should make no difference to the
images, just the files size and thus how many images fit on the
storage card.

--
Joan

"ftran999" wrote in message
. ..
:

Old September 12th 06, 10:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

Bill writes:
What about all the other advantages, such as bigger and brighter
viewfinder, lower noise, better controls, better battery, bigger
display, battery grip, etc.

The viewfinder is a big advantage to me.

The viewfinder does sound like a big advantage (I haven't seen it
yet). I'd expect the noise to be higher, not lower, since the pixels
are smaller. I don't know about the controls. The new battery is
worse, not better (a replacement costs around $50 instead of $15 and
the D80 won't run on the old version). The add-on battery grip
provides a cumbersome and itself-expensive workaround for the rip-off
lithium battery scam, but it would be better if they skipped the scam
in the first place.
Old September 12th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[BnH]

My friend just sent me samples of shots at ISO 800, 1600 and even 3200 and I
think they are excellent.
Nikon is really doing their homework to suppress the noise level.

Its ISO 800 are comparable to D70 ISO 200 imho.

If you don't have ancient collectible and useful AI/s lenses, don't bother
and save yourself $500 and grab the D80.
Its the baby D200 and can do almost all the D200 can do.

Old September 12th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
W Chan

the key attraction of d200 is the faster shutter spead and higher fps, these
are good features for sports /fast action photography.. i think .

i agree with the investment in lenses as they tend to last longer and a key
part in getting quality images. cam body does change every 12-18mths... d200
is a baby d2x, and d80 is a baby d200..

i think nikon is taking advantage of existing expertise, reorganize the
features/functionalities from this/that models and mass produce them... i
think even the retail price of d80 has come down a fair bit but with so many
features from its peers... , the actual profit margin of d80 may be
higher... (less costs on research and development on new/breakthru
applications.)

i will wait i see a sample d80 and try it and compare. stores shud hv the
camera this week...(in canada).

thks 4 many of your inputs..

w.

Old September 13th 06, 11:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[BnH]

3 fps vs 5fps ... vs 8fps

I have cameras with the speeds above and I tell you I now can bag sport
actions shots with just 4fps camera.
[ I set my D2H just @ 5 fps fyi ]
and a friend that focuses on basketball photography last time bagged
A LOT of good shots of his team playing using the D70.

imho .. just invest some AFS [and really fast AFS .. not those slow AFS
18-200 ] or fast glass
for your sport shots.

Old September 13th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
[BnH] wrote:

I have cameras with the speeds above and I tell you I now can bag
sport actions shots with just 4fps camera.
[ I set my D2H just @ 5 fps fyi ]
and a friend that focuses on basketball photography last time bagged
A LOT of good shots of his team playing using the D70.

imho .. just invest some AFS [and really fast AFS .. not those slow
AFS 18-200 ] or fast glass
for your sport shots.

That's why it's totally and utterly foolish to use anything other than a
200mm f/2G ED-IF AF-S VR for basketball photography. Even the high
performer 70-200mm VR struggles under these conditions.

Right, "Rita". When you post cute little jokes like this, some earnest
newbie might even believe you for a few days.

And could you fix your sig., please?

--
John McWilliams

Edmund Blackadder and Baldrick converse:

EB: "First Name?"
B: "I'm not sure."
EB: "Come on, you MUST have a first name."
B: "It might be 'Sod Off'."
EB: "Sod Off??"
B: "Yeah, when I was a young lad playing in the gutter, I used to say to
all the other snipes, "Hello, my name's Baldrick". And they'd say, "Yes
we know, Sod Off, Baldrick"

- Blackadder and Baldrick filling out an application form.
Old September 14th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

You arrogant pig!

--
Joan

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
. ..
: Right, "Rita". When you post cute little jokes like this, some
earnest
: newbie might even believe you for a few days.
:
: And could you fix your sig., please?
:
: --