Need help selecting a camera

Old August 14th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jack[_8_]

Default Need help selecting a camera

Four years ago, several people on this newsgroup recommended to me to
buy a refurbished camera from CompGeeks. A couple of people suggested
the Fuji FinePix 2600. I followed all that advice and bought a
refurbished FinePix 2600 from CompGeeks. We have been very satisfied
so I really appreciated that advice.

My wife took our camera on a trail ride over the weekend and it now
appears to be broken. I am making this post to request advice about
what to do. Do you still recommend I buy refurbished cameras from
CompGeeks? If so, can you recommend a specific camera? We really
liked the FinePix 2600 and would like to stick with the same software
that came with it where we store all our photos. Also, we like the
convenience of using AA rechargeable batteries. Regarding what we
need in a camera, I will say that we have never used any of the
features of this camera except the auto setting and we do not shoot
pictures at the highest resolution. Therefore, we would be content
with something similar to this and hope not to spend much more that
$100.

One last thought, is it possible that we can have this camera fixed or
would it be better for us to just buy another? Any advice will be
greatly appreciated. Thanks, sooo much.
Old August 14th 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RPS

:
[...]

Technology has moved on in four years; I would urge buying new.

Go to a camera store or some place like Best Buy and try out a few
models from Fuji, Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Sony, etc. See what feels
good in your hands.

Fujifilm FinePix A610 is one obvious recommendation in your price
range: $110 at Best Buy right now. Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ3 is another.
But others companies will also have comparable models.

Good luck.
Old August 14th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington

"Jack" wrote in message
[ . . . ]
that came with it where we store all our photos. Also, we like the
convenience of using AA rechargeable batteries. Regarding what we
need in a camera, I will say that we have never used any of the
features of this camera except the auto setting and we do not shoot
pictures at the highest resolution. Therefore, we would be content
with something similar to this and hope not to spend much more that
$100.

A couple of days ago when I was in Wal-Mart they had the Nikon Coolpix L10
at just under $100. That uses AA batteries and should suit you just fine. It
comes with Nikon's Picture Project software which is easy to use and will do
everything you're likely to want to do.

One last thought, is it possible that we can have this camera fixed or
would it be better for us to just buy another?

Frankly, the way you generally fix any old broken low-end digital camera is
by throwing it away and buying a new one. Your FinePix 2600 is a
six-year-old design, only two megapixels, and the SmartMedia cards it uses
have been abandoned by every manufacturer years ago. A lot has changed in
those six years. The Coolpix L10 is five megapixels, smaller and lighter,
technologically more advanced, easy to use, and uses SD cards which are
essentially the standard for that type of camera today. Even if you feel you
don't need the higher resolution -- and maybe you don't -- I don't think any
major manufacturer makes a two-megapixel camera anymore. Five is probably
about the minimum.

Neil