20D or 5D

Old August 23rd 05, 01:09 AM
Rob

Default 20D or 5D

Given the review on
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...canoneos5d.asp

Do you think the $3299 is worth it compared to about $ 1238 for the
20D now (buydig.com) considering its improvements over the 20D?
I wonder if the 5D will make good picture taking for the
non-professional that much easier than the 20D?

Can you justify it's cost for a non-professional? For me, it's seems
to much difference in cost but that's me. I believe the 20D about one
year ago was around $2000 so it fell about $800 over a year.
Old August 23rd 05, 01:35 AM

Rob wrote:

Given the review on
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...canoneos5d.asp

Do you think the $3299 is worth it compared to about $ 1238 for the
20D now (buydig.com) considering its improvements over the 20D?

Is this my money we are spending, or yours?

I wonder if the 5D will make good picture taking for the
non-professional that much easier than the 20D?

If you have to ask a question like that then you may wish to consider
the unpleasant thought that you might not even be 'worthy' of a 20D.

Can you justify it's cost for a non-professional?

Why should I justify it's cost? I am not selling the things.

For me, it's seems to much difference in cost but that's me.

Well, since it's your money, that's all you need, right?

I believe the 20D about one year ago was around $2000 so it fell
about $800 over a year.

Ah, you aren't a photographer, but an investor in the photographic
equipment futures market! Well, here's the deal about that sort of
thing: only an idiot would sell you a put, and only an idiot would buy
a call. Are you an idiot?

Old August 23rd 05, 01:39 AM
MarkČ

Rob wrote in message ...
Given the review on
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...canoneos5d.asp

Do you think the $3299 is worth it compared to about $ 1238 for the
20D now (buydig.com) considering its improvements over the 20D?
I wonder if the 5D will make good picture taking for the
non-professional that much easier than the 20D?

Can you justify it's cost for a non-professional?

I can't justify anything for anyone but myself. You'll have to determine
that.

For me, it's seems
to much difference in cost but that's me. I believe the 20D about one
year ago was around $2000 so it fell about $800 over a year.

20D was about $1500 when released.

If you're not already prepared with a list of reasons why the 5D makes sense
for you, then there is a good chance that it doesn't make sense for you now.
It has many features which a lot of us have been wishing for: Spot meter,
full-frame, nearly 13MP, no pesky built-in flash (did you know it has no
flash?), and other features many general shooters don't ever care about.

What you need to do is really try and define your needs, and how those needs
stack up against the abilities of the two bodies. The 5D isn't universally
ahead of the 20D. For example, the 20D can shoot 5 frames per second in
jpeg mode, while the 5D is limited to 3 frames (any mode).

Check it out and do some serious consideration before you plonk down any
amount for either camera.

Mark

Old August 23rd 05, 01:47 AM
Mike Warren

MarkČ wrote:
What you need to do is really try and define your needs, and how
those needs stack up against the abilities of the two bodies. The 5D
isn't universally ahead of the 20D. For example, the 20D can shoot 5
frames per second in jpeg mode, while the 5D is limited to 3 frames
(any mode).

Has it got a good movie mode? ;-)

-Mike

Old August 23rd 05, 01:48 AM
pixby

MarkČ wrote:
Rob wrote in message ...

[...]

I'm sure all of us Aussies fresh from spending $3k on our flaky 20Ds

can now shell out $5k on the day of release just to have a repeat of the
20D's reliability issues and hastily engineered "upgrades" with even
more bugs than the ones they tried to fix. This time with a full frame
sensor and no internal flash! (thank God they saw the light). Just a
case of one up-manship. It doesn't work when your quality control is
designed by monkeys.

I note with interest that this is not a "Professional" camera either,
just one for "Enthusiasts". Canon's way of squirming out of the loose
auto focus ability and it's really poorly designed ETTL II, flash
integration and operating environment requirements which doesn't suit
anyone living west of Ipswich (Queensland Australia) in the summer. At
least it was with the 20D.

So far there are 14 frequently documented problems 20D owners have
discovered with their "state of the art" (s******s) cameras. It took
just 2 days to discover the first 5. I wonder how long it will be before
the first complaint surfaces about this one?

I missed one important "feature" of this new camera which will stuff up
many people's plans to own one - Well all the humans who live north and
south of Paradise's boarder on the equator anyway. Operating Humidity is
maximum 85%. I guess that cuts out all you rain forest nuts. Orchid
growers and beach dwellers in those wonderful tropical islands!

--
Douglas,
You never really make it on the 'net
Old August 23rd 05, 01:51 AM
MarkČ

"Mike Warren" wrote in
message eenews.net...
MarkČ wrote:
What you need to do is really try and define your needs, and how
those needs stack up against the abilities of the two bodies. The 5D
isn't universally ahead of the 20D. For example, the 20D can shoot 5
frames per second in jpeg mode, while the 5D is limited to 3 frames
(any mode).

Has it got a good movie mode? ;-)

I'm sure the 5D would look quite good in a movie...

Old August 23rd 05, 02:00 AM
MarkČ

"pixby" wrote in message
MarkČ wrote:
Rob wrote in message ...

[...]

My 10D has been from death valley heat...to Alaskan cold...to tropical wet.
Still churning out great images.
Sorry about your 20D problems.
Luckily your understandable bitterness doesn't inflict these things on
future Canon products.
I strongly suspect they learned real lessons from the 20D troubles, and the
outrage that followed from people such as yourself.

Old August 23rd 05, 02:01 AM
wilt

So far there are 14 frequently documented problems 20D owners have
discovered with their "state of the art" (s******s) cameras. It took
just 2 days to discover the first 5.

Care to elaborate what 3-5 of them are? (the BG-2E issue doesn't
count) Curious, not challenging you.

Old August 23rd 05, 02:02 AM
l e o

Rob wrote:
Given the review on
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...canoneos5d.asp

Do you think the $3299 is worth it compared to about $ 1238 for the
20D now (buydig.com) considering its improvements over the 20D?
I wonder if the 5D will make good picture taking for the
non-professional that much easier than the 20D?

Can you justify it's cost for a non-professional? For me, it's seems
to much difference in cost but that's me. I believe the 20D about one
year ago was around $2000 so it fell about $800 over a year.

20D was priced at $1500 from the start. I watched it closely when I was
upgrading from Digital Rebel to 20D. I bought it for $1330.

You have to consider what do you use the camera for. If you don't miss
12MP and full frame, 20D will serve you well. Canon doesn't include a
built-in pop up flash (I use it for fill flash in daytime) is enough to
clue you in that this is not a camera for casual walking around the
city. And for $3200, not including lens, it's enough of a good reason.
You have the wallet, you decide.