Main OEMs - Worst lenses compilations - lenses to run away from

Old December 10th 04, 12:51 AM
Alan Browne

Default Main OEMs - Worst lenses compilations - lenses to run away from

I'd like to compile an "avoid this lens" list. I'll post it as a FAQ under the
user resource groups. Lenses for this list should have 1 or more serious
issues. Merely being mediocre is not good (er, bad) enough.

Please keep the format below.

Manufacturer Lens Reason
============ ========================== ==============================
Minolta 28-80 f/4-5.6 xi poor optics, flare prone,
electric focus and electric
zoom waste batteries. Edges

soft.

Old December 10th 04, 06:12 AM
m II

Alan Browne wrote:
I'd like to compile an "avoid this lens" list. I'll post it as a FAQ
under the user resource groups. Lenses for this list should have 1 or
more serious issues. Merely being mediocre is not good (er, bad) enough.

Please keep the format below.

Manufacturer Lens Reason
Minolta 28-80 f/4-5.6 xi poor optics, flare
Canon 20D Any Used by Annika1980

mike
Old December 10th 04, 03:35 PM
Alan Browne

m II wrote:

Manufacturer Lens Reason
Minolta 28-80 f/4-5.6 xi poor optics, flare
Canon 20D Any Used by Annika1980

mike

Very nice Mike, buy you'll have to list them one by one...

Old December 10th 04, 05:36 PM
Doug Payne

Alan Browne wrote:

I'd like to compile an "avoid this lens" list.

Minolta 28-80 f/4-5.6 xi

You could probably add just about any manufacturer's zoom in this combination of
approx focal lengths and apertures. The several Nikon equivalents over the years
have been less than impressive and I suspect the same is true of almost all of
them. It's why they throw them in as kit lenses on package "deals". They really
aren't much of a deal unless you can immediately turn them around and auction
them off.

Old December 10th 04, 06:19 PM
Alan Browne

Doug Payne wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

I'd like to compile an "avoid this lens" list.

Minolta 28-80 f/4-5.6 xi

You could probably add just about any manufacturer's zoom in this
combination of approx focal lengths and apertures. The several Nikon
equivalents over the years have been less than impressive and I suspect
the same is true of almost all of them. It's why they throw them in as
kit lenses on package "deals". They really aren't much of a deal unless
you can immediately turn them around and auction them off.

I don't agree. Some recent 'kit lenses' have actually, for the money, pretty
decent measurements and scores. The most recent 28-80 f/var from Minolta has
gotten 'good' ratings from several people, and the equivalent Canon is very
good, considering.

The intent of the post is to flesh out the real, true, dogs. I could for
example ad the Minotla 75-300/var. It is actually very good up to about 200mm,
after which it is soft. So it's not a bad 75-200...

Cheers,
Alan.

Old December 12th 04, 12:55 AM
Robert Brace

============ ==========================
==============================
Minolta 28-80 f/4-5.6 xi poor optics, flare
prone,
electric focus and
electric
zoom waste batteries.
Edges
soft.

Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 XR Terrible build quality, no
international warranty coverage
must return
to original country of purchase for repairs
even though
moved residence.

Old December 12th 04, 01:36 AM
Michael A. Covington

As you probably know, many Sigma lenses for Canon EOS will not work with the
latest models. Initially, Sigma reverse-engineered the EOS lens mount and
didn't get it quite right. There's an e-mail address -- I think it's
-- for checking whether a particular lens will work.
The 90/2.8 macro will not. Some lenses work or not depending on their
serial number.