Canon SD880

Old December 20th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

Default Canon SD880

Ken Rockwell (a Nikon aficionado) has used and tested the Canon
SD880. He likes the LCD and controls and claims that this is the best P&S
Canon offers in the small compact class and can produce as good an image
quality and any other Canon P&S.

For some reason he does not seem to make a big deal over the lack of an
optical viewfinder.

This I do not understand since most agree that even with IS one can brace
the camera better at eye level.

The one shortcoming is lack of a long enough lens but it does go to 28mm
eqv.

Now he claims that you can get a great 11x14 from this but I have doubts.
I would say that a 5x7 would be the max if you are fussy.

Comments welcome.
Old December 20th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 19:49:28 GMT, measekite wrote
in :

Ken Rockwell (a Nikon aficionado) has used and tested the Canon
SD880. He likes the LCD and controls and claims that this is the best P&S
Canon offers in the small compact class and can produce as good an image
quality and any other Canon P&S.

For some reason he does not seem to make a big deal over the lack of an
optical viewfinder.

This I do not understand since most agree that even with IS one can brace
the camera better at eye level.

The one shortcoming is lack of a long enough lens but it does go to 28mm
eqv.

Now he claims that you can get a great 11x14 from this but I have doubts.
I would say that a 5x7 would be the max if you are fussy.

Comments welcome.

I don't like the lack of a viewfinder, but I would agree that it can
produce great 11x14 prints.

From my prior posts to r.p.d

--
Best regards,
John
Old December 20th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dave Cohen

measekite wrote:
Ken Rockwell (a Nikon aficionado) has used and tested the Canon
SD880. He likes the LCD and controls and claims that this is the best P&S
Canon offers in the small compact class and can produce as good an image
quality and any other Canon P&S.

For some reason he does not seem to make a big deal over the lack of an
optical viewfinder.

This I do not understand since most agree that even with IS one can brace
the camera better at eye level.

The one shortcoming is lack of a long enough lens but it does go to 28mm
eqv.

Now he claims that you can get a great 11x14 from this but I have doubts.
I would say that a 5x7 would be the max if you are fussy.

Comments welcome.

I don't know why you would feel 5x7 is max. acceptable print size. Half
the posts in this group claim 6mp is adequate and indeed the entry level
Pentax and Nikon dslr's were just that, those people then go on to state
(and I suspect correctly) that this push for more pixels on a small
sensor is a marketing ploy. Of course, much larger sensors in a dslr are
another matter.
While I'm very happy with my now dated A95, the best picture of my
grandkids were taken with my earlier 2mp A40. I've no idea what the
actual dpi is on the 8x10, it just looks good.
Dave Cohen