Black Dots

Old December 19th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
measekite

Default Black Dots

Canon 5D/2

It has been reported that when shooting at night with a visible light
source (like lighted windows in a building) the right part shows black
dots.

It has also been reported that there is visible noise banding when
shooting in RAW1 mode but not RAW2, RAW or jpg. Do not know the
difference between the modes.

Anyway Canon promised a firmware patch if they can but did not commit to
when.

Do the readers thing this is a big deal or a small temporary pain? Some
say Canon knew about this and shipped anyway? What do you think?

In the old film days I never heard of these things happening but in the
computer age it seems par for the course.

It seems when you spend $3700 for a camera and L lens you should not have
to deal with these problems.
Old December 20th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:41:39 -0800 (PST), PixelPix
wrote in
:

Pixel peeping is very much part of the digital era now and I wonder
what people would think of film drum scans when viewed at 100%+. I
know I compared my old high end A3 drum scans from 6x6 trannie back in
my 6mp digi-days and they looked like total crap in comparison to the
digital originals..... yet oddly, the scans where always plenty good
enough for 4 colour repro in mags and brochures??? Go figure??

People now do it because they can, not because it means anything.
It's just mindless mine-is-better/longer/wider nonsense.
--
Best regards,
John
Old December 20th 08, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jack K[_2_]

"measekite" wrote in message
Canon 5D/2

It has been reported that when shooting at night with a visible light
source (like lighted windows in a building) the right part shows black
dots.

It has also been reported that there is visible noise banding when
shooting in RAW1 mode but not RAW2, RAW or jpg. Do not know the
difference between the modes.

Anyway Canon promised a firmware patch if they can but did not commit to
when.

Do the readers thing this is a big deal or a small temporary pain? Some
say Canon knew about this and shipped anyway? What do you think?

In the old film days I never heard of these things happening but in the
computer age it seems par for the course.

It seems when you spend $3700 for a camera and L lens you should not have
to deal with these problems.

It was reported on 19 December 2008 that Canon has made this statement about
the problems with the Canon EOS 5D Mark II:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk..._274 316.html

The statement mentions that:

"We are currently investigating and analysing the causes, and examining
measures to reduce or eliminate these phenomena by providing correction
firmware. An announcement will be made on www.canon-europe.com as soon as
measures have been determined."

I think it would be wise to defer purchasing the Canon EOS 5D Mark II until
such time as Canon has sorted out the problems. Even then, I think I would
wait until Canon's "fix" has been independently tested by experts and given
the OK. It's a great camera, but it's also a lot of money, so unless you
want a Sony A900, ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra900/ ) I think
it might be best to patiently wait a while for the Canon. I like the idea of
Canon's hi res movies, otherwise I would buy the Sony Alpha 900 as this
doesn't seem to have similar "black dot" problems!

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --
Old December 20th 08, 11:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Lorenzo Sandini

John Navas wrote:
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:41:39 -0800 (PST), PixelPix
wrote in
:

SNIP

People now do it because they can, ...

Ever wondered why cats keep licking their genitals ?

Lorenzo
Old December 20th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Jack K wrote:

"measekite" wrote in message
[...]

Oh, heavens, that was posted by someone who wanted to try to clear the
wait list for the camera so he could get one earlier.

--
john mcwilliams
Old December 20th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jack K[_2_]

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
Jack K wrote:

"measekite" wrote in message
[...]

Just for the record, the Canon 5D Mark II I ordered has already arrived and
been offered to me, but I will wait until the current problems have been
sorted out before I actually purchase one.

-- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to --