Resolving Camera Issues

Old April 8th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Resolving Camera Issues

Sometimes reading expert reviews might help resolve some issues one
can encounter in an item. I have been doing a bit of research about
cameras lately and I found a site that lists expert reviews for
different brands. Some reviews have been based on exhaustive tests
conducted on certain products and that might be a good source of
information to anyone who wants to know more about the technical
aspects of the product.

http://www.smartratings.com/photography/digital_cameras

Old April 8th 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
=\(8\)

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sometimes reading expert reviews might help resolve some issues one
can encounter in an item. I have been doing a bit of research about
cameras lately and I found a site that lists expert reviews for
different brands. Some reviews have been based on exhaustive tests
conducted on certain products and that might be a good source of
information to anyone who wants to know more about the technical
aspects of the product.

http://www.smartratings.com/photography/digital_cameras

And sometimes reading "expert" reviews of a product and learning about flaws
can make you getting picky about a problem that the chances are you would
have never noticed in the first place, but now because you know of it you
can't stop thinking about it.

As for the "expert" part, give me a break. Most of the reviews for cameras
are just plain stupid. Their either throw up all of these big numbers and
graphs trying to justify the fact that they didn't take the camera out of
the building to test. Who gives a flying flip about lab test numbers. We
don't photograph in labs using charts and graphs and crap.

People need to stop worrying that their camera isn't perfect and go shoot
some pictures. If they can't do that then they should go shoot themselves.
Or go hunting with Cheney!

=(8)

Old April 8th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

: ups.com...
:
[...]

You've made your point, I guess. But to say you should shop for a camera
without reading the reviews is sort of like saying you should go hunting with
Cheney without a face shield and a flak jacket.

Bob
Old April 8th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On 7 Apr 2007 20:39:14 -0700, wrote:

Sometimes reading expert reviews might help resolve some issues one
can encounter in an item. I have been doing a bit of research about
cameras lately and I found a site that lists expert reviews for
different brands. Some reviews have been based on exhaustive tests
conducted on certain products and that might be a good source of
information to anyone who wants to know more about the technical
aspects of the product.

http://www.smartrat . . .

That's just a service that provides a list of URLs that point to
both good and bad reviews, and the main purpose is to first give you
links to product resellers before you have a chance to see the
actual reviews. Knowing something about Nikon's D50 I checked one
review and the first thing I was shown was what appeared to be an ad
for a D50 from TriState ("GET IT HERE") for only $329.47. That's a
pretty good price if it's new or refurbished by Nikon. But it
didn't say "GET A D50 HERE" for $329.47. When I checked it out, it
was an offer to sell a Canon S2 IS for that price.

Most of the better reviews are buried at the bottom of the list
following links to "experts" such as PC Magazine, PC PRO Magazine
UK, MacWorld Magazine and PC World. As I noted, some good review
websites are included, but it's best to go there directly, avoiding
the sales pitches along the way, which is the real reason for
SmartRating's existence.

Old April 9th 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
=\(8\)

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 10:58:19 -0700, "=\(8\)" wrote:
: wrote in message
: ups.com...
[...]

No. No. No. That isn't what I said or meant to say. What I was getting at is
that you can't base your choice on any one review no matter the source. You
need to read professional reviews in magazines, expert reviews from people
that have used the camera and user reviews like on Amazon.com's site. You
have to or should do a good deal of research before you buy any high tech
electronic thing camera or otherwise.

Lets face it there are only so many ways to get information on a product
(the makers web site generally isn't a good one) so you need lots of
information from lots of sources with lots of skill levels with lots of
different needs, wants and desires. Then you have to decide what is and
isn't important.

=(8)