Canon EOS XTI's + Tamron 18-200 DI-II IF len

Old March 7th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
jetq88

Default Canon EOS XTI's + Tamron 18-200 DI-II IF len

I'm planning to buy my first digital SLR camera,mainly to take my
kid's action and on vacation with the goal to be a amateur
photographer, I noticed that this Tamron's len only works with APS-C
size sensors, are they compatible?

I see people recommend to buy image stablize lens(quite expensive),
are they really a must-have compared to tamron len I choose? if it
really can leverage photo quality to next level, I may consider it.

if anyone can give me several lens to choose, that'll be great

thanks

Old March 7th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 15:41:19 -0800, jetq88 wrote:

I'm planning to buy my first digital SLR camera,mainly to take my
kid's action and on vacation with the goal to be a amateur
photographer, I noticed that this Tamron's len only works with APS-C
size sensors, are they compatible?

I see people recommend to buy image stablize lens(quite expensive),
are they really a must-have compared to tamron len I choose? if it
really can leverage photo quality to next level, I may consider it.

Another option, of course, would be a Sony with the image stabilization
built into the camera.

Old March 7th 07, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
gowanoh

For a beginner the 18-200 lenses from Tamron, Sigma et al are a good match.
Enjoy it.
In fact these lenses are pretty good all round travel lenses for most users
but clearly would not be a match for more specialized lenses.
Image stabilization is very desirable but not necessarily a deal breaker.
Sigma announced an image stabilized version of their 18-200 back in
September but so far it is a no show in camera stores in the U.S. The Nikon
image stabilized 18-200 is on perpetual back order, indicating its
popularity, and it is not much better optically than the Tamron or Sigma.
You may want to consider the Sony Alpha and the Pentax 10 that have image
stabilization built into the camera. In fact you would probably be better
off with either of those than the Canon.

Old March 8th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"jetq88" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm planning to buy my first digital SLR camera,mainly to take my
kid's action and on vacation with the goal to be a amateur
photographer, I noticed that this Tamron's len only works with APS-C
size sensors, are they compatible?

I see people recommend to buy image stablize lens(quite expensive),
are they really a must-have compared to tamron len I choose? if it
really can leverage photo quality to next level, I may consider it.

if anyone can give me several lens to choose, that'll be great

thanks

A zoom lens of this range is a compromise. You won't get the same photo
quality from a lens like this as you would from shorter zooms or prime
lenses. My limited tryout of one of these Tamron's produced decent results.
I would consider it to be an acceptable walk-around lens. An image
stabilized lens would be nice but as you say they are more expensive. I
don't know what your budget is but you may want to consider the new Sigma
18-200mm DC OS image stabilized lens - "OS" (optically stabilized) - as they
refer to it. Right now it will cost around $ 200.00 US more than the
Tamron.

Old March 8th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J. Littleboy

"Peter A. Stavrakoglou" wrote:

A zoom lens of this range is a compromise. You won't get the same photo
quality from a lens like this as you would from shorter zooms or prime
lenses. My limited tryout of one of these Tamron's produced decent
results. I would consider it to be an acceptable walk-around lens. An
image stabilized lens would be nice but as you say they are more
expensive. I don't know what your budget is but you may want to consider
the new Sigma 18-200mm DC OS image stabilized lens - "OS" (optically
stabilized) - as they refer to it. Right now it will cost around $ 200.00
US more than the Tamron.

Do you work for Sigma?

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old March 8th 07, 11:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

"Peter A. Stavrakoglou" wrote:

A zoom lens of this range is a compromise. You won't get the same photo
quality from a lens like this as you would from shorter zooms or prime
lenses. My limited tryout of one of these Tamron's produced decent
results. I would consider it to be an acceptable walk-around lens. An
image stabilized lens would be nice but as you say they are more
expensive. I don't know what your budget is but you may want to consider
the new Sigma 18-200mm DC OS image stabilized lens - "OS" (optically
stabilized) - as they refer to it. Right now it will cost around $
200.00 US more than the Tamron.

Do you work for Sigma?

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Certainly not, just a satisfied customer.

Old March 19th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Ion

jetq88 wrote:

I see people recommend to buy image stablize lens(quite expensive),
are they really a must-have compared to tamron len I choose? if it
really can leverage photo quality to next level, I may consider it.

Fact is, image stabilization is not the end-all and be-all and doesn't really
affect "image quality".

What it does, is allow you to get away with lower shutter speeds, which in turn
allows you to shoot in lower light with longer focal lengths, by compensating
for "shake" when you're hand-holding the camera. The shorter the lens, the less
effective or necessary it becomes, and when it comes to "action" shots of moving
subjects (like your kids), it can actually become detrimental.

In your case, I'd say it's probably not a big concern for your first lens.