how do you resize photos

Old August 2nd 06, 09:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

Default how do you resize photos

Cassie wrote:
Hi' all.
Could someone please tell me how to resize photographs. My friend was
sent a few photos via email and they are all large raging from 576KB
& some a bit smaller but not much, and she asked me how to resize
them. I'm not very familiar with photos and I have only enlarged them
in the past I think, it's been a while since I did it. Also I am not
very computer savvy just know a little bit more than my friend. She
didn't have any software so I downloaded "Irfanview" on her computer
and she wanted 6x4 inches but no matter what I did I couldn't get
6x4inches it kept jumping back to a different number, I managed to
get 7x5 but not sure how I did it now. My friend has the starter
program of Adobe photo shop and found 6x4 but it would not print on
her Hewlett Packard. I had a practise on my computer with Grandview
as I have a photo in my pictures that is 576KB but I don't understand
the pixel measurements which is 1188x1848 for that size. I either
ended up with a tiny photo or a large one. I have Canon software as
well but again the pixels and cm have me confused, not sure what the
equivalent is and even if I did it jumps back to what it wants. I
would appreciate any advice and sorry to sound so dumb.
Regards,
Cassie

Just Google for jpg resizer.exe aand let this little program do it for you.

Old August 2nd 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roy G

"ASAAR" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 00:29:24 GMT, Roy G wrote:

I took the question to be more about how to get the pictures
properly printed on 4" x 6" paper than to actually do image
resizing. And so . . .

When you select File - Print from IrfanView's menu, you get a
Print Preview window that allows you to specify the print size
without making any changes to the image file. Set the "Units" to cm
or inches, then select the Custom radio button. Make sure that the
Aspect Ratio box is checked, and then play with values for Width and
Height or the image might undergo some bizarre stretching. Beneath
the preview window IrfanView shows the "Resulting image size on
paper" in both cm and inches. Unless the image size already has a
4x6 aspect ratio you'll either have uneven white margins or no
margins, but with some truncation of the image. It's probably
easier to work with copies of the images, where you'd be free to
crop, rotate, spindle and mutilate.

Hi.

I have never really used Irfanview for anything other than Batch renaming,
and have not done that for ages, so I was not aware just how comprehensive
its printing Dialogue was.

I was, and still am a little concerned that the image will have been
compressed and saved several times and could be on the verge of showing Jpeg
Artifacts, hence my attempt at getting the poster to change physical
dimensions via PPI, rather than Interpolate.

But I think you have certainly solved her problem, with your very precise
instructions.

Roy G

Old August 2nd 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Cassie wrote:
[...]

This is indeed one of the more complicated issues in digital
photography. The problem is that there are three common definitions of
'size' in digital photography. The first is file size- the number of
bits required to store the image. I don't think this is that important
to you in your present problem.

Second, the size in pixels is important. All popular image formats use
a rectangular grid of pixels, so many columns wide by so many rows
high. Thus a 640 x 480 image has 640 columns by 480 rows of pixels.

Third there is the 'physical size' when an image is PRINTED. Relating
these second and third definitions is the parameter of pixels per inch.
If we had a 600 pixel by 400 pixel image and printed it as a 6 x 4
inch print, that would be 100 pixels per inch. Note that the physical
size AND the ppi only have meaning when we are printing the image.

Most good photo editors allow you to change physical size (in
preparation for printing), the ppi, and the total number of pixels.
Which type of 'resize' you want to do when is indeed something you have
to learn to do. If you have the manual for whatever editing software
you are using, read/study carefully all information on resizing.
Cassie

Old August 2nd 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
silverthreads

Since the operative word is photos, plural. Consider batch processing.
Whether you are using Arc Soft, or as I have used in the past Thumbs
Plus, or as I am using now Roxio Easy Media Creator, batch processing
will take a stack of files and convert them simutaneously. My wife uses
Arc Soft which came with her Canon camera. She has her camera set to
the highest resolution for archival purposes, but when she wanted to
e-mail me a stack of files of our grandson at the aquarium, the file
sizes were too large for my mailbox. Now she can batch process the
entire folder of files and reduce the entire folder of files to 640
pixels by 480 pixels store them in a seperate file and retain her high
resolution originals, send a whole mess of pictures of our
grandchildren and everybody's happy.
Converting a 4:3 aspect ratio image to a 2:3 aspect ratio 4" X 6" print
requires cropping the top and/or the bottom. Unclicking your maintain
proportions button (not recommended) results in disproportionate
subjects. Circles becomes elongated elipses, squares become rectangles
and your mother-in-laws tush becomes as wide as house, which you may or
may not be able to use to your advantage.
Another quick way to print, if you are using Windows XP, is to right
click on the file and click print.

Old August 3rd 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cassie

Hi' Everyone,
Goodness me you have all given me so much information, thank you very very
much. I have to print some of it out to sink in as I am new to all this
technical stuff with photos (computers too for that matter). I will download
that little jpeg resize.exe program and also thank you for telling me that I
can put Arc Soft on my friends computer because I found a photo on my
computer that is the same size as one of my friends grandchildren and just
clicked print without resizing and it printed 6 x 4. However, things that
work on my computer don't always work on hers for some reason. We are both
fairly new to computers but I'm the one that has to ask the questions.
I really appreciate all you time.
Regards,
Cassie.
oups.com...

Old August 4th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
GregS

In article , "Cassie" wrote:
[...]

There may be a Canon resizer. I have used Magic Image Resizer. It works
resizing multiple files. There are programs specifically for email resizing, but may be too small for
printing.

greg
Old August 4th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
@whidbey island.net

Cassie,
Irfanview is the easiest to use. At the top toolbar choose Image/scroll
down to resize. 2nd box on left choose button switch to "set new size".
Choose inches in the button switch, choose 5x7...Also VERT IMPORTANT
use this screen to resize photos into smaller files when emailing. If
emailing to a website in order to have them printed, email only the
original or the largest file you have. Remember that if you save the
pix as a jpg and open and close it alot after editing it, you will lose
some sharpness.
Keep trying. There are no dumb questions
GG