Change the filename template on Canon SD700?

Old July 28th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Change the filename template on Canon SD700?

Hi,

Just bough a Canon SD700 as a second camera, I already have a 300D.

I'd like to know if and how to change the filename template so that the
two cameras filenames don't clash?

I'd like to configure it so IMG_0001.jpg is SD700_IMG_0001.jpg or if
there is a restriction on the filename size, I'd go with CSD_0001.jpg.

Thanks,

Mike.

Old August 4th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Fred McKenzie

In article .com,
wrote:

Just bough a Canon SD700 as a second camera, I already have a 300D.

I'd like to know if and how to change the filename template so that the
two cameras filenames don't clash?

I'd like to configure it so IMG_0001.jpg is SD700_IMG_0001.jpg or if
there is a restriction on the filename size, I'd go with CSD_0001.jpg.

Mike-

I don't think it is possible to do what you want without modifying the
firmware of one of the cameras. Since there are a couple of "hacked"
versions of the 300D firmware on the web, you might be able to modify one
to do what you want.

I have the SD400 as well as the 300D, but get around the problem of
duplicate filenames by saving them in separate folders with names that
show date and subject. In the event I were to use both for the same
subject, I would probably include the camera model in the folder title.

Another alternative is to use the same SD memory card in both cameras.
There is a Compact flash adapter available that holds an SD card. (I have
one from Minolta, but they are no longer available.) The camera should
"adopt" the highest number on its card and increment from there. When
changing back to the other camera, it should continue where the first left
off. I haven't tried this myself, but have used the technique to restore
file numbers that were forgotten when the battery was left out of a camera
for too long.

If you don't want to fuss with changing cards, you might rename the
highest image number on one of the cards to "IMG_5000.jpg" and see if it
will pick up numbering from there. That approach should last until you
make 5000 exposures on either camera.

Fred