What should I buy D50 or Canon 350D

Old July 20th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Default What should I buy D50 or Canon 350D

AaronW wrote:
abbasam wrote:
I have been thinking of buying DSLR for some time now. I have narrowed down
my search to two SLR that I like.
The Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D.

I wish 350D had D50's 1/500s flash sync.

Indeed, I will take the D50, D70(s) anyday over the Canon for the flash sync
alone ... daylight fill flash baby!

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old July 20th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Bill wrote:
AaronW wrote:

The Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D.

I wish 350D had D50's 1/500s flash sync.

I wish the D50 had a fully mechanical shutter, but then the flash sync
would probably be slower.

Why do you want a fully mechanical shutter?

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old July 20th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Fred Anonymous

"AaronW" wrote in message
oups.com...
abbasam wrote:
I have been thinking of buying DSLR for some time now. I have narrowed

down
my search to two SLR that I like.
The Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D.

I wish 350D had D50's 1/500s flash sync.

It can sync up to 1/4000s if you use a Canon Ex flashgun.
Of course, the guide number is reduced.

Regards, Ian.

Old July 20th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Fred Anonymous

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
AaronW wrote:

The Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D.

I wish 350D had D50's 1/500s flash sync.

I wish the D50 had a fully mechanical shutter, but then the flash sync
would probably be slower.

Why do you want a fully mechanical shutter?

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Perhaps so the camera can still be used if the battery fails?

Errr .....

Regards, Ian.

Old July 20th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Fred Anonymous wrote:

"AaronW" wrote in message
oups.com...
abbasam wrote:
I have been thinking of buying DSLR for some time now. I have narrowed

down
my search to two SLR that I like.
The Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D.

I wish 350D had D50's 1/500s flash sync.

It can sync up to 1/4000s if you use a Canon Ex flashgun.
Of course, the guide number is reduced.

You can actually get the D50 to sync faster too by using the right flash and
tricking the camera by blocking a pin in the flash shoe mount. Probably a bit
of a pain though. 1/500 will do for me.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Old July 21st 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
AaronW

AaronW wrote:
abbasam wrote:
I have been thinking of buying DSLR for some time now. I have narrowed down
my search to two SLR that I like.
The Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D.

If you go Canon, you might start with:

Canon 350D
Canon 50/1.8
Canon 20-35/3.5-4.5
Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS
Sigma EF 500 DG

I might upgrade to:

Canon 50/1.8
Canon 85/1.8
Canon 135/2
Canon 300/2.8 IS
Canon 1.4x
Canon 2x
Canon 17-55/2.8 IS
Canon 70-200/2.8 IS
Canon TS-E 24/3.5
Canon MP-E 65/2.8 1-5x Macro

And I want a 45-135/2.8 IS if they make one.

Canon and Nikon have IS or VR in lenses. But not every lens has IS or
VR.

Minolta and Pentax have AS in camera.

So beside the camera, you might also want to consider the cost of
lenses, flash, and accessories.

http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

Old July 22nd 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
abbasam via PhotoKB.com

Rebecca Ore wrote:
I have been thinking of buying DSLR for some time now. I have narrowed down
my search to two SLR that I like.

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
These were the 2 i was considering, but they both had very basic kit lenses,
so I paid a bit extra and got a d70s which had a much better kit lens.

D50 body with the 18-70 lens.

Are you using the said combination

Old July 22nd 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rebecca Ore

"abbasam via PhotoKB.com" u24240@uwe writes:

Rebecca Ore wrote:
I have been thinking of buying DSLR for some time now. I have narrowed down
my search to two SLR that I like.

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
These were the 2 i was considering, but they both had very basic
kit lenses, so I paid a bit extra and got a d70s which had a much
better kit lens.

D50 body with the 18-70 lens.

Are you using the said combination

Yes. I bought the body from Ritz because B&H didn't have it then, and
the import version of the 18-70 lens (around $260, I think) from
B&H. Total cost was roughly $817 plus shipping, about $100 less than
the B&H price for the D70s with the kit lens). My other lenses are the
VR 105mm macro and a 50mm f/1.8 (both US lenses with the 5 year
warranty). I've played with a neighbor's 18-200 -- it's a nice lens,
too, but extends out a long way. I got the f/1.8 lens for the price
difference between the two cameras.

If the $100 difference isn't significant to you, then I'd go with the
D70s for the possibility of wired shutter release, depth of field
preview, and a bit more ease in setting shutter and aperture with two
different control wheels.

This is a crop from a shot with the 18-70 at 70 mm:

and another:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?p...400718&size=lg

The f/1.8 and the VR macro *are* sharper:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=4592832 for the macro (cropped).

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=4408558 for the f/1.8 (cropped).

If you really want to go cheap and good, the D50 with the 50mm f1.8 is
quite nice, too.

--
Rebecca Ore
Old July 24th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
abbasam via PhotoKB.com

Rebecca Ore wrote:
I have been thinking of buying DSLR for some time now. I have narrowed down
my search to two SLR that I like.

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]

[...]

Thanks Rebecca, you have been a great help, plus I enjoyed looking at your
work, great potential.

Old July 25th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
k-man

I personally shoot with a Nikon. But some might argue that Canon's the
better value.

Both are fine cameras and both Nikon and Canon have excellent systems
(system includes cameras, lenses, flashes, etc.).

Either one will provide good quality. What might sway you are the
ergonomics. Go to a store and actually hold a D50 and hold a Rebel XT
(350D). Which do you prefer? Which is easier for you to adjust the
settings?

Kevin

abbasam wrote:
I have been thinking of buying DSLR for some time now. I have narrowed down
my search to two SLR that I like.
The Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D.
Which do you think I should go for and why?
What do you like or dislike about the camera, if you are a user?