What should I buy D50 or Canon 350D

Old July 18th 06, 01:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
tomm42

Default What should I buy D50 or Canon 350D

abbasam wrote:
I have been thinking of buying DSLR for some time now. I have narrowed down
my search to two SLR that I like.
The Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D.
Which do you think I should go for and why?
What do you like or dislike about the camera, if you are a user?

If you have big hands buy the Nikon, the Canon is awful for people with
big hands. Either camera will take good pictures, the D50 has very good
high ISO capabilities. With the Nikon you might want to buy the 18-70
lens, instead of the 18-55. Both are better than the Canon kit lens.
You may also want to look at Pentax and Sony/Minolta. Pentax especially
has a better viewfinder and a good kit lens. Go to a store, pick them
up and see which feels best to you.

Tom

Old July 18th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to abbasam u24240@uwe:
I have been thinking of buying DSLR for some time now. I have narrowed down
my search to two SLR that I like.
The Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D.
Which do you think I should go for and why?
What do you like or dislike about the camera, if you are a user?

Well ... I would prefer the D70s over the D50 (and I have a
D70), but (getting way out of the price range) I would like to have a
D200 -- someday.

However -- the first question is whether you happen to have a
*film* SLR of either of those two lines. If so, then you have lenses
already, and it would make more sense to get a DSLR which would allow
you to continue to use those lenses.

Lacking that determining factor, I would suggest that you go to
your local camera store and *try* both cameras in the store. See which
one fits *your* hands better, and which one has more of the frequently
used controls where you would be able to reach them easily. I started
with Nikon lenses, so I did not have to make that choice, but others
have tried similar tests, and some have chosen one, and some the other,
so it is an individual thing.

If you go with the D50, I would suggest that you spend a bit
more and get the 18-70mm lens which is the "kit" lens for the D70 and
D200. It is an excellent lens for the money, and I have heard reports
that the standard kit lenses for the D50 are not as satisfactory.

If you intend to take photos in low light conditions (perhaps
from a seat in a theater (without flash) where the only light is on the
stage, or perhaps elsewhere -- with or without flash -- the D70 has a
button to illuminate the LCD display on the top which allows you to
check the settings. With the D50, you will have to use a small
flashlight (perhaps as simple as a coin cell and a red LED) to
illuminate it under those conditions.

There are other differences between the D50 and the D70 which
speak in favor of the latter for *me* -- such as having two control
dials, one for the aperture and one for the shutter speed when you are
in various modes other than full auto. I don't know how much you will
want to control what your camera does, so this may not matter to you.

You'll need to accept guidance from someone else for the Canon
line, since I have no experience with them.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old July 19th 06, 09:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Pete D schreef:

The body's not so important. The lens is important and especially,
your talent to see great shots! :-)
-Kris

Thats makes no sense, especially considering the high cost of todays
D-SLR's, surely a sensible person would look at all of the available cameras
in their price range and try them to see if there was one that felt just
right, you will take far more photos with your digital than you ever did
with your film camera why wouldn't ergonomics be high on the wanted features
list. Considering you have to get out a pretty large magnifying glass to see
the difference in the end result they are all pretty equal. All the
manufacturers have a huge range of very good lenses so that is less of a
consideration unless you already have some lenses in a particular brand.

Sure it's a high cost for a decent D-SLR, but the OP has the budget, he
just can't decide between D50 and 350D. You agree that the end-result
is pretty equal between them. That's correct, because i know of amazing
photoblogs/portfolios made with either a D50/D70 or a 350D and that's
what i meant: it doesn't matter that much. Sure ergonomics are
pleasant, but i did without them for years, so in the end, it's not a
big deal, only the picture matters :-)
Also -and i'm not sure about this- aren't the ergonomics pretty equal
between these two cameras? Or does Canon have a totally different view
about it than Nikon?

-Kris

Old July 19th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

wrote in message
oups.com...
Pete D schreef:

[...]

As far as I am concerned the 350D is the single worst handling camera that
Canon has ever made. Feature fore feature I would buy the Pentax because the
ergonomics are so much better, sorry, the D50 is also better.

Old July 19th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Bill wrote:
My camera is the Canon XT/350D and a friend has the D70s. They are
COMPLETELY different in how they feel and handle.

While I like my XT for the smaller size and weight, the Nikon feels a
LOT more natural in my hands than the Canon. This is a personal thing,
but I prefer the Nikon shutter release position over the Canon 20D, and
5D as well - my index finger falls naturally on the Nikon button.

Another annoying thing is the location of the AV +/- button on the back
of the XT - I often bump it by mistake and it's too "soft" so it
responds when I don't want it.

Ah okay, i had no idea because i've never used an XT.
Well... considering the fact that i'm a D70s owner, this makes me very
happy :-)
I heard that a D200 has far superior ergonomics than the D70 has. I
wonder how it must feel to use this one :-)

-Kris

Old July 20th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
AaronW

abbasam wrote:
I have been thinking of buying DSLR for some time now. I have narrowed down
my search to two SLR that I like.
The Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D.

I wish 350D had D50's 1/500s flash sync.

350D can separate AF and shutter release on to 2 different buttons.

If you go Canon, you might start with:

Canon 350D
Canon 50/1.8
Canon 20-35/3.5-4.5
Canon 70-300/4-5.6 IS
Sigma EF 500 DG

http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

Old July 20th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jack Mac

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 04:43:53 -0400, Bill wrote:

AaronW wrote:

The Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D.

I wish 350D had D50's 1/500s flash sync.

I wish the D50 had a fully mechanical shutter, but then the flash sync
would probably be slower.

350D can separate AF and shutter release on to 2 different buttons.

FYI - so can the D50, and most other DSLRs.

This question shows up here every few days.... and usually draws the
same replies, from some of the same individuals.
With all the camera review sites available, it's time such decisions be
made by the individual themselves. Unless they're trolling!
My 2 cents!

Jack Mac