HELP: K-Minolta Dynax 5d OR Canon EOS 350D

Old January 22nd 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default HELP: K-Minolta Dynax 5d OR Canon EOS 350D

ok,

After reading lots of reviews and doing lots of research I am still
undecided as to whether to go for the minolta or canon. There really sems to
be very little difference between the two and yet some reviewers put the
Canon in a amateur - semi pro category whilst the Minolta is described as a
high spec budget for beginner DSLR users. I want something that I can grow
into and for that reason I'm considering the Canon, BUT, I feel a lot of
loyalty to Minolta and have found them to be very good in the past.

I can see pros and cons to both

Minolta: better build and bigger, anti shake, comes with 18-70mm lens.
Reviews rave over colour. Fast. Larger sensor compared to the Canon
(reducing grain)
NEGATIVES: loud shutter, Minolta being taken over by Sony (this is my first
digital SLR, my previous camera being a Minolta 404si Dynax film camera,
can't stand Sony in general), only 6.3 mp compared to the canon.

Canon: 8 mp sensor, in the future I can change camera body and keep the
lenses, how much will Sony put into the Dynax range?
NEGATIVES: build not as good as minolta, small body, price, only comes with
a 18-55mm lens, No anti-shake

Can anyone give me their experience or opinion on these two cameras. I
really am split 50 / 50 and it's nice to hear other opinions

Chris

Old January 22nd 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Chris Long" writes:
After reading lots of reviews and doing lots of research I am still
undecided as to whether to go for the minolta or canon.

You can stop worrying--Minolta has decided for you. See all the
recent threads about Minolta quitting the camera business.
Old January 22nd 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Paul Rubin" wrote in message
"Chris Long" writes:
After reading lots of reviews and doing lots of research I am still
undecided as to whether to go for the minolta or canon.

You can stop worrying--Minolta has decided for you. See all the
recent threads about Minolta quitting the camera business.

He claims taken over by Sony, but that's not necessarily a positive.
Personally if I were in the market for that type of camera, Canon or Nikon.
Dave Cohen

Old January 22nd 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Thanks for th reply Dave, I'm beginning to come round to the Canon, although
I hadn;t really considered the Nikon. Bit worried about the plastic build
and size of the Canon.

Chris

"Dave Cohen" wrote in message

Old January 22nd 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On 2006-01-22, Chris Long wrote:
Thanks for th reply Dave, I'm beginning to come round to the Canon, although
I hadn;t really considered the Nikon. Bit worried about the plastic build
and size of the Canon.

feel/build and the built-in anti-shake system is a killer feature!

As a long time Canon user (30+ years), I bought a KM 5D three weeks ago.
Very happy with it.

cheers,
eric

--
E S Fraga, ballfresno -at- tiscali dot co dot uk
..ooo.ooo.ooo..o...o...o....oo..ooo.oo...o.....o.o ....ooo.ooo.o...
Old January 23rd 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default K-Minolta Dynax 5d OR Canon EOS 350D

"Chris Long" wrote in message
[...]

Hi.

If you really want the Minolta, there could be some very good prices on
offer any day now.

However you should give considerable thought to either the 350D or Nikon D70
or D50. Do not be put off by the alleged Plasticy Bodies, none of them feel
anything but very solid.

They each have much better Kit Lens options than the 18-55s.

The Nikons feel quite a bit bigger in the hand than the Canon.

There are plusses and minuses on both, and you just have to decide for
yourself, but they are all very good and very capable Cameras for the money.

No matter which way you go, decide not to have any regrets, just learn to
make full use of the abilities of the one you chose, and enjoy using it.

Roy G

Old January 23rd 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Chris Long" wrote in message
Thanks for th reply Dave, I'm beginning to come round to the Canon,
although I hadn;t really considered the Nikon. Bit worried about the
plastic build and size of the Canon.

Chris

All the cameras you cited are plastic...

Old January 23rd 06, 10:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Tesco News wrote:
"Chris Long" wrote in message

[...]

That last sentence was great advice, Roy!
Old January 23rd 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Tesco News bedacht in :

No matter which way you go, decide not to have any regrets, just learn
to make full use of the abilities of the one you chose, and enjoy
using it.

The best advice one can get.