Sandisk SD Vs Sandisk SD Ultra II ?

Old March 28th 05, 06:07 PM
Caveat Lector

Default Sandisk SD Vs Sandisk SD Ultra II ?

Getting ready for my Pentax *IST DS purchase and wonder what is the
difference between these two cards?
Any preference and why ?

Sandisk ULTRA II 512mb Secure Digital (SD) Card ~ $65

SanDisk 512MB Secure Digital Card ~ $50

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old March 28th 05, 06:54 PM
ian lincoln

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message

Getting ready for my Pentax *IST DS purchase and wonder what is the
difference between these two cards?
Any preference and why ?

Sandisk ULTRA II 512mb Secure Digital (SD) Card ~ $65

SanDisk 512MB Secure Digital Card ~ $50

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

It comes down to write speeds. With something like the nikon d70 you can
shoot a frame every second for 23 seconds or more because the camera can
write to the card that fast. As for the eos 20D and 350D i don't know.
With a 300D the camera has no performance increase from using a faster card.
So basically how big is the frame buffer on a pentax ist ds. That is how
shots can you take before you have to wait for the camera to write the
images to the card.

Old March 28th 05, 07:22 PM
Caveat Lector

"ian lincoln" wrote in message
k...

"Caveat Lector" wrote in message

Getting ready for my Pentax *IST DS purchase and wonder what is the
difference between these two cards?
Any preference and why ?

Sandisk ULTRA II 512mb Secure Digital (SD) Card ~ $65

SanDisk 512MB Secure Digital Card ~ $50

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

It comes down to write speeds. With something like the nikon d70 you can
shoot a frame every second for 23 seconds or more because the camera can
write to the card that fast. As for the eos 20D and 350D i don't know.
With a 300D the camera has no performance increase from using a faster
card. So basically how big is the frame buffer on a pentax ist ds. That
is how shots can you take before you have to wait for the camera to write
the images to the card.

Ah very good -- exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you kindly
I will opt for the slower card as my photography shots won't require a fast
write speed.
--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old March 28th 05, 09:24 PM
Paul Bielec

ian lincoln wrote:
"Caveat Lector" wrote in message

Getting ready for my Pentax *IST DS purchase and wonder what is the
difference between these two cards?
Any preference and why ?

Sandisk ULTRA II 512mb Secure Digital (SD) Card ~ $65

SanDisk 512MB Secure Digital Card ~ $50

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

It comes down to write speeds. With something like the nikon d70 you can
shoot a frame every second for 23 seconds or more because the camera can
write to the card that fast. As for the eos 20D and 350D i don't know.
With a 300D the camera has no performance increase from using a faster card.
So basically how big is the frame buffer on a pentax ist ds. That is how
shots can you take before you have to wait for the camera to write the
images to the card.

I remember seeing a table of different card types used on a 300D. There
was a difference between using a fast or a slow card.
Now, I'm actually curious and I'd try to run a test tonight.
I have a standard Sandisk, an Ultra II and an Extreme.

Old March 29th 05, 03:52 AM
bmoag

If cameras have very slow write speeds then the speed of the card makes
little difference: the Sony 828 writes very slowly to any kind of card. Poor
internal camera buffer.
The D70 writes very rapidly to any kind of card: so unless you need to
repeadtedly reel off multiple exposure bursts it hardly matters what speed
card you use. Great internal camera buffer.