Pairs comments - Alan B.

Old August 2nd 12, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank S

Default Pairs comments - Alan B.

On 2012-08-01 06:35:44 -0700, otter said:

[ ... ]

...but maybe I will just wait this time to see what comments appear.

Savageduck

Group dynamics are not the same as a computer program. No one is
going to read my comments and follow them literally, with step by step
consequences. There are several SI contributers that have a long
history of posting pictures but no comments. My take is that they are
not interested so much in critique, but in seeing their pictures
displayed. I think many of those are not all that interested in
"improving", and/or simply disregard comments anyway.

I also think you over-value comments in regards to the success of the
SI, but I'm not going to campaign for eliminating them. If it make
people happy to do it, fine with me.

When I look at the submissions to SI the comments spring to mind,
ready-made; I regard verbalizing them for the Group as a chore. Unlike many
chores, there are no significant consequences if the chore is put off or
ignored. So, sometimes I don't do the comment chore for every image, or for
any image. Sometimes I think it is enough to point out what it is about an
image that rings my bell; sometimes I think such comments are re-stating the
obvious, so I don't offer them.

It is not important enough to me that others either enjoy or benefit from my
perceptions of their works, that I will sacrifice a lot of comfort to
fulfill their needs. Sloth is a great motivator. I overcome it from time to
time and comment on every image as a result of obligation to others who do
make sincere, thoughtful comments about everyone's images, my images, or a
few random images. The Social Contract at work.

I do not feel or infer a great drive to have my images or comments seen by
others, and especially I don't think it is important to share every thought
I have about everything that passes through my field of apprehension. There
is usually only room for one Bloviator-in-Chief in any given group. I have
neither the interest nor the stamina (or maybe the discernment) to try
correcting every error or misstep I see in a group. Not my job, maing.

One of the pass-times we in my family indulge in is to make up stories that
explain noticeable events, e.g.: "Look at that numskull! He must never have
learned what courtesy and consideration are!" "Yeah, or he saw you coming
and, figuring you are alert and attentive and wouldn't run into him, decided
it was OK to pull out in front of you so you had to slam on the brakes to
avoid running into him." "Yeah, that too. Maybe he just didn't see us?"
/etc./ "Why do I have to try explaining everything? I dunno. Maybe I get it
from my Mom: she was always explaining things".

You don't have to look very far in this/these forums to find a whole lot of
explainers, some of whom disguise the impulse under several layers of
dissimulation or misdirection. In the worst cases every one-note song
becomes instantly recognizable. After a while it all stops being useful, if
it ever was, or entertaining, ditto, and becomes so tedious as to result in
avoidance, aka plonk.

I would not stop submitting to, or viewing the submissions to, the SI if all
commenting was gone. My comments will still be there in my mind, which will
not be enough for some; I take comfort in the assumption that others are
similarly afflicted, and won't be completely frustrated if they, too,
reserve them for themselves. A little disappointed, though.

--
Frank ess