[SI] Pairs, triplets, series, patterns, echoes, reflections.

Old July 18th 12, 05:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default [SI] Pairs, triplets, series, patterns, echoes, reflections.

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 21:41:51 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2012-07-17 21:27 , Robert Coe wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 20:57:10 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:
: On 2012-07-16 22:31 , Robert Coe wrote:
: On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:13:08 -0400, SI Committee
: wrote:
: :
: : http://www.pbase.com/shootin/pairs_triplets_
:
: Again our captions didn't make it onto the pix (Alan, do you prefer a
: different way of sending them than Bowser did?), so ...
:
: The fact is that most people don't caption and the data management sub
: committee are (I have to admit) a rather motley crew of misfits and
: miscreants. I'll endeavour to correct your captions at the earliest
: opportunity.
:
: OTOH, maybe a Rul change is in order where captions are neither
: required, desired or accepted. If the photo doesn't tell the story, let
: the mystery remain except for explanations on usenet.

I think that would be a step backwards.

Sez the only one sending captions.

I had descriptions for each of my images when I sent them in.

: Pairs Bob_Coe 1
: Cookie-Cutter Condos. For more than 20 years of passing near these buildings
: on the Cambridge side of the Charles River, I had thought them to be
: identical. Not until I began to edit this picture did I realize that I was
: wrong.
:
: Pairs Bob_Coe 2
: School's Out. These vehicles, relegated for now to summer day camp duty, await
: Monday morning in a lot behind our Town Hall.
:
: Pairs Bob_Coe 3
: Illusion. A single exposure, modified only by cropping and slight rotation.
: Can you tell what's real and what's reflection?
:
:
: Pairs Martha_Coe 1
: The Silas W. Robbins House. In this Old Wethersfield, Connecticut house, now a
: bed & breakfast, virtually every detail is replicated, even the front door.
:
: Pairs Martha_Coe 2
: Victorian brickwork. The writer Samuel L. Clemens built this mansion in
: Hartford, Connecticut, though it's named for his alter ego, Mark Twain. The
: repetitive detail of its decorative brickwork is reminiscent of Native
: American beadwork, an art form which Clemens would undoubtedly have
: encountered while growing up in Missouri.
:
: Pairs Martha_Coe 3
: Sam's Steamboat: An amusing aspect of Clemens's house, largely unremarked even
: in its official tours, is its (obviously intentional) resemblance to a
: steamboat. This picture of the house's upper stories shows a porch that mimics
: a pilot house and chimneys resembling the gaudy smokestacks of the most
: opulent Mississippi River steamers.

It's possible to put the caption in the Windows "comments" field of the file.
(I tested it today with a much longer piece of text than any caption I've seen
in the SI.) I wonder if it would then be displayed automatically. Probably a
bit far-fetched. But if you like, I could send you a picture set up that way,
and you could test it.

Sure.

Eric Stevens
Old July 18th 12, 10:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-07-17 19:40:13 -0700, Alan Browne

Basic fact is that when the data management folks open the e-mail they
simply hit "download attachments" and move on. They usually have the
images up on pbase within minutes of receiving them (in a hidden
gallery).

Aah!
That explains why the blue "view map" Pbase location link doesn't show
up in recent posts as in this prior submission.

I certainly implied my approval and was surprised to find the blue Pbase
"view map" link usually found below the File label, missing from those
entries for the current SI.

Nope. They're there.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old July 18th 12, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-07-18 00:01 , Eric Stevens wrote:

I had descriptions for each of my images when I sent them in.

Fixed.

Old July 18th 12, 11:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-07-18 14:10:39 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2012-07-17 19:40:13 -0700, Alan Browne

Basic fact is that when the data management folks open the e-mail they
simply hit "download attachments" and move on. They usually have the
images up on pbase within minutes of receiving them (in a hidden
gallery).

Aah!
That explains why the blue "view map" Pbase location link doesn't show
up in recent posts as in this prior submission.

I certainly implied my approval and was surprised to find the blue Pbase
"view map" link usually found below the File label, missing from those
entries for the current SI.

Nope. They're there.

Not that I can see in Pbase for any of the entries for the current SI.
Certainly the Panoramio placement is obvious, just curious as to the
missing blue Pbase "view map" link typically found directly below the
file label.

It must be my fading eyesight. perhaps you could tell me where I could
find said link.
BTW: I notice that there seems to be quite a few submissions where the
EXIF data has been stripped for no apparent reason, this one for
example, no EXIF, & not "view map" link.
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/144609644/large

Savageduck

Old July 18th 12, 11:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-07-18 14:10:39 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2012-07-17 22:54 , Savageduck wrote:
On 2012-07-17 19:40:13 -0700, Alan Browne

[...]

I say again: "They're there."
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x8gm34nxmk...8.16.40%20.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/144609644/large

That is curious.

Old July 18th 12, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-07-18 14:10:39 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2012-07-17 22:54 , Savageduck wrote:
On 2012-07-17 19:40:13 -0700, Alan Browne

[...]

And, providing the URL from Pbase to "Jeffery's EXIF Viewer" (a nifty tool):

http://regex.info/exif.cgi?imgurl=ht...geduck 01.jpg

BUT: there is a problem.

IF I'm logged into Pbase as admin, the "view map" (blue text) appears.
If I log out, it disappears.

The link above was from when I was logged out.

Curious. I'll look around the FAQ's at Pbase and contact them if I
can't figure it out...

Old July 19th 12, 12:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default [SI] Pairs, etc - Cooper's Comments on in-house shots

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 19:01:44 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:
: This post will be just about the Cooper in-house shots.
:
: Recently, I rented a lake-side cabin in the Ocala National Forest for
: a long weekend so the family could get together...Daughter and
: son-in-law, Son and wife and kids, and my wife and I. Sitting out on
: the dock one day, I mentioned that I was taking photos for this
: mandate.
:
: My daughter is an avid photographer. She immediately said "I can do
: that." Less than 15 minutes later she was back with the shot of the
: romantically linked dragonflies. Yes, ClearyC is my daughter.

Oho! Isn't she the teenager with the peeved expression standing in front of a
cigar store somewhere in the UK?

: She shot the sunflower in her backyard choosing to shoot it from the
: back instead of the conventional front view. She and I met a week or
: so later in St Augustine where she shot the birds from our table when
: we were having lunch at a waterfront cafe.
:
: Not to be outdone, her husband - Dave - came up with his drops of
: water on a flower in their backyard. Most of his photography is
: photographs of surfers (They live a few blocks from the ocean), so he
: found a pattern in the waves. This photo was excessively sharpened to
: accent the water pattern to the right. Blame me if you don't like it,
: because I taught them Photoshop processing techniques.
:
: I've been taking my daughter out on what we call a "Photo Safari"
: since she was wee. The one thing I've emphasized most is seeing the
: photograph. One exercise we used to do was going somewhere, stopping
: at random, and finding something to photograph from that spot. She's
: turned out to have a good eye.

Congratulations on getting the two of them involved in the SI. I lured my wife
in, and she's become an enthusiast. I'll have to work harder on my daughter.
In her field of specialization (candid photography of her children) she's
probably our family's best photographer.

Bob
Old July 19th 12, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-07-18 15:27:48 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2012-07-18 14:10:39 -0700, Alan Browne

On 2012-07-17 22:54 , Savageduck wrote:
On 2012-07-17 19:40:13 -0700, Alan Browne

[...]

There is certainly an anomaly, and what you are seeing is certainly not
what I am seeing.

Savageduck

Old July 19th 12, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-07-18 16:01:44 -0700, tony cooper said:

[...]

Congratulations on a successful parenting mission.

On my shots...

The Lorikeets really are a very bright bird color-wise. (Check out
web images) However, I used a flash because they were in the back of
the enclosure, and no bouncing surface was available. Consequently,
I've got almost-blowout from flash effect on the feathers. f/4
1/125th. Saturation was not kicked in post.

All I can say is, regardless of cause, the final effect is one of both
birds appearing over saturated to the point of being unpleasant.
Perhaps there might have been a fix available in post. I am sure it is
possible to reach a better solution.

The marmosets are about the size of a hamster. They have very, very
fine hair, so the flash washed out the fur a bit. f/5.3 1/125th.
Again, nothing to bounce off.

The marmosets are a tough shot to capture under those circumstances.

Both shots taken at the Melbourne Zoo on a camera club field trip.
Two other photographers in the group snapped the marmosets and had the
same flash effect in their shots. A third person shot without flash,
but ended up with a blurred shot.

My memories of Melbourne date back to February 1974 when I got the
worst Sunburn of my life at India Atlantic Beach.

The railroad track shot is a color shot reduced to black and white
just using Threshold. It wasn't converted to black and white first.
Just playing around with processing.

As I noted:

Tony Cooper:
Pairs-02:
Interesting harsh contrast B&W treatment of a pair of tracks. Now this
borders on being a B&W abstract.

Be kind to my kid.

I think if you check my comments, I did just that;

ClearyC:
Pairs-01:
A nice capture of a pair of chicks being fed by a parent. Great capture.
Pairs-02:
Great capture of the pair of Dragonflies. The detail in the Dragonflies
and their lacy wings is good and balanced by the background and OOF
areas. Good work.
Pairs-03:
Nice flower macro producing a very organic pattern. Greens and yellows
nicely offset by the grey background.

DaveC:
Pairs-01:
Very nice pair of drops with reflections, all enhanced by the soft
green background.
Pairs-02:
Great ripple pattern on the surface, and the pair of breakers separated
by the soon to be closed out peak.

Savageduck

Old July 19th 12, 01:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-07-18 19:48 , Savageduck wrote:

There is certainly an anomaly, and what you are seeing is certainly not
what I am seeing.

Sent them an e-mail.

Noted also that my 2nd image (last photo) has the "view map" whether or
not I'm logged in. But not my first image.

If I don't hear back from them by tomorrow I'll try re-uploading all
images with geotags.