Commercial full frame sensor available.

Old July 6th 12, 02:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Commercial full frame sensor available.

On 2012-07-05 19:09 , Mike wrote:
On 30/06/2012 10:34 AM, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

There is still a 1/4 Whithworth screw in the bottom of most cameras.
This
matches all existing tripods. This thread has not been used for just
about
anything else for half a century.

I was under the impression that cameras used the 1/4"-20 (threads per
inch) UNC thread, not a Whithworth thread. Besides there are lots of
1/4-20's used. I think the lamp shade on most household lights is 1/4-20

Larger cameras (esp. medium format and large format) use 3/8"-20 (or
3/8" - 16 perhaps).

You can buy inserts and many head systems have a spring loaded screw
such that the 3/8" part retracts for 1/4" female.

--
"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old July 6th 12, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"Alan Browne" wrote:

I was under the impression that cameras used the 1/4"-20 (threads per
inch) UNC thread, not a Whithworth thread. Besides there are lots of
1/4-20's used. I think the lamp shade on most household lights is 1/4-20

Larger cameras (esp. medium format and large format) use 3/8"-20 (or
3/8" - 16 perhaps).

You can buy inserts and many head systems have a spring loaded screw
such that the 3/8" part retracts for 1/4" female.

I have a 1930s Zeiss 6x9 folder that has a 3/8" tripod mount into which a
modern adapter fits just fine. It has a bit of fungus in the lens, and I
wasn't able to get sharp images from it. Sigh. I should try again on a
tripod at f/22.

But all three post-war MF cameras at hand (two Rolleiflexes and a Mamiya 7)
have 1/4" tripod mounts. The tripod here has a 3/8" screw, and most cheap
heads won't mount, though.

-- David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old July 6th 12, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012-07-05 22:36 , David J. Littleboy wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote:

I was under the impression that cameras used the 1/4"-20 (threads per
inch) UNC thread, not a Whithworth thread. Besides there are lots of
1/4-20's used. I think the lamp shade on most household lights is 1/4-20

Larger cameras (esp. medium format and large format) use 3/8"-20 (or
3/8" - 16 perhaps).

You can buy inserts and many head systems have a spring loaded screw
such that the 3/8" part retracts for 1/4" female.

I have a 1930s Zeiss 6x9 folder that has a 3/8" tripod mount into which
a modern adapter fits just fine. It has a bit of fungus in the lens, and
I wasn't able to get sharp images from it. Sigh. I should try again on a
tripod at f/22.

But all three post-war MF cameras at hand (two Rolleiflexes and a Mamiya
7) have 1/4" tripod mounts. The tripod here has a 3/8" screw, and most
cheap heads won't mount, though.

The Hassy I have is 3/8" and 1/4" (two separate holes in the plate).
One I rented only had 3/8.

I had a Mamiya RZ67 in hand (for a few days) and it was 3/8". (Best
camera I never bought... sigh).

Old July 7th 12, 08:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
R. Mark Clayton

On 2012-07-05 22:36 , David J. Littleboy wrote:

"Alan Browne" wrote:

[...]

AIUI 35mm and almost all digital cameras have 1/4 inch Whitworth threaded
holes in them (the 1/4" is the diameter of the shank here). This is a bolt
with a coarse thread (so not many turns to engage). From memory UNC* is the
same except the peak of the thread is flattened or rounded off - this means
the hole does not need to be so fully machined and penetrating oil can get
down the gap.

This thread has revealed that larger format cameras appear to have had an
even larger bolt-hole in them for extra strength.

* so a UNC bolt will go in a Whitworth hole, and usually, but not
necessarily vice-versa.

Other areas where the Brit's won out over the Frogs : -

French taps have BSF threads.
French rails are 4' 8.5" apart.
French trains (but not metro) drive on the left.

and where they went it alone: -

French colour TV ran a system called SECAM. This was only used in
Francophone countries and places like East Germany (so they could NOT watch
western TV). Technically is was good, but different from [crap] NTSC and
PAL.

Yellow head lights.

Priorite a droit

Clavier Universel - or "AZERTY" keyboard. One can get used to the key
transpositions fairly easily, but shifting to get numbers - aargh!

In a way they are a bit like crapple, but on a national level...

Old July 7th 12, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , R. Mark Clayton
wrote:

French colour TV ran a system called SECAM. This was only used in
Francophone countries and places like East Germany (so they could NOT watch
western TV). Technically is was good, but different from [crap] NTSC and
PAL.

Yellow head lights.

Priorite a droit

Clavier Universel - or "AZERTY" keyboard. One can get used to the key
transpositions fairly easily, but shifting to get numbers - aargh!

In a way they are a bit like crapple, but on a national level...

is that supposed to be a dig against apple? if so, think again since
apple is one of the most standards compliant companies.

maybe you mean microsoft, who creates their own proprietary standards
(c#, .net, wmv, wma, etc.) and modifies existing ones (html) to lock in
users.
Old July 9th 12, 11:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
R. Mark Clayton

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , R. Mark Clayton
wrote:

French colour TV ran a system called SECAM. This was only used in
Francophone countries and places like East Germany (so they could NOT
watch
western TV). Technically is was good, but different from [crap] NTSC and
PAL.

Yellow head lights.

Priorite a droit

Clavier Universel - or "AZERTY" keyboard. One can get used to the key
transpositions fairly easily, but shifting to get numbers - aargh!

In a way they are a bit like crapple, but on a national level...

is that supposed to be a dig against apple? if so, think again since
apple is one of the most standards compliant companies.

ROTFLMAO

maybe you mean microsoft, who creates their own proprietary standards
(c#, .net, wmv, wma, etc.) and modifies existing ones (html) to lock in
users.

Well Microsoft are not perfect, but they are not bandits like crapple.

Old July 9th 12, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2012-07-09 03:54:09 -0700, "R. Mark Clayton"
said:

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , R. Mark Clayton
wrote:

[...]

M$ could be best described as pirates. There is not an original thought
within 50 miles of Redmond.

Savageduck

Old July 9th 12, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
"nospam" wrote in message

maybe you mean microsoft, who creates their own proprietary standards
(c#, .net, wmv, wma, etc.) and modifies existing ones (html) to lock in
users.

Well Microsoft are not perfect, but they are not bandits like crapple.

Microsoft has ignored the law several times in big ways (proven
by courts), harming both individuals and the general population.
That's a good definition for "bandit".

Microsoft has been proven to "pirate" software, for example ...

-Wolfgang
Old July 9th 12, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , R. Mark Clayton
wrote:

In a way they are a bit like crapple, but on a national level...

is that supposed to be a dig against apple? if so, think again since
apple is one of the most standards compliant companies.

ROTFLMAO

don't laugh too hard because the joke is on you.

maybe you mean microsoft, who creates their own proprietary standards
(c#, .net, wmv, wma, etc.) and modifies existing ones (html) to lock in
users.

Well Microsoft are not perfect, but they are not bandits like crapple.

other than being found guilty for abuse of monopoly and unlawful
business practices for which they were fined, you mean?
Old July 10th 12, 07:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Savageduck" wrote in message
M$ could be best described as pirates.

Damn right, they are nearly as bad as Apple!

Trevor.