If video replaces still cameras

Old October 15th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default If video replaces still cameras

The OP and at least some of the respondents appear to be folk who spend a
lot of money on a DSLR, but fail to use any of the controls which contribute
to great photographs. To so many people, hanging a DSLR about their neck is
nothing more than "bling". Most of their snapshots could well be achieved to
the same standard with a cheap point-and-shoot digital camera (or these
days, a mobile phone (cell in transatlantic-speak)). Reading through this
newsgroup makes me wonder how many posters and responents here ever move
their digital camera off the "Auto" position. How many people will buy a
DSLR rather than a bridge camera that offers the same controls and
facillites, but never, ever buy another lens for their DSLR? At the other
end of the spectrum, how many DSLR owvers shoot in RAW and bracket their
exposures to get an HDR image? How many employ aperture-priority so as to
better their photographs through selective focus? In my local camera club
we go out on outings, and though all are "enthusiasts", I'd say that about
70% never move their DSLR's dial off the Auto position. There are a couple
of people there who MUST have the latest all-singing/all dancing DSLR but
never ever use other that Auto. Anyone who asks the question "will the video
camera replace the DSLR" appear to be in the "point and shoot" brigade, and
should perhaps bettter be asking themselves "what the hell was I doing in
spending lotsa money on a DSLR camera?"
Old October 18th 09, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 19:25:16 -0400, John A. wrote:
: On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:34:40 -0700, John McWilliams
: wrote:
:
: wrote:
: The OP and at least some of the respondents appear to be folk who spend a
: lot of money on a DSLR, but fail to use any of the controls which contribute
: to great photographs.
:
: So, you're omniscient, too?
:
: He said "appear to be", not "are". Though mere mortals, members of a
: social tool-using species are generally capable of forming an
: impression of how others use tools.

I've been reading these newsgroups a lot longer than "Xendor" has, and I
haven't formed the same impression at all. We know from another thread that
Xendor recently chose to buy a P&S after an apparently long and complex
decision process. My take is that he's now trying to justify that decision
(which may very well have been the correct one for him) by projecting
attitudes and behavior for which he has little or no evidence onto those in
the group who use DSLRs. He's free to do that, and we're free to ignore him
when he does. I suggest that we exercise that right, starting now.

Bob