DSLR or Not - Or Where I've Come From

Old October 17th 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

Default DSLR or Not - Or Where I've Come From

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
Pete D wrote:
"No spam please" wrote in message

Snipped bits out

n-DSLR. First of all, I've had a long-time interest in
photography, over the years having owned a number of DSL cameras as
well as
having my own darkroom. Pressure of work (or rather commuting into
London)
in the latter period of my working life meant that my absorbing
interest in
photography was put on the back burner. My last DSL camera was a Pentax
LX,

Hello.

What is a "DSL" camera, please?

One hooked up via POTS.....

I have heard of DSLR and SLR (and even TLR) but not DSL.

I was thinking the same thing.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was clearly a typo, and I am sure you got it in
context.

Well no, what is it? I would not be so bold as to presume!!

--
john mcwilliams

Old October 17th 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

Pete D wrote:
[...]

SLR (film camera)

www.edgehill.net
www.baynatives.com

Old October 17th 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether[_3_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message ...

Dang formatting... try this:

[...]

[With apologies to the OP...]

Dang, Paul, you forgot to add the chapter titles! ;-)
--DR

Old October 17th 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
John McWilliams wrote:
tony cooper wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 10:09:23 -0400, "David Ruether"
wrote:

"N" wrote in message . au...
wrote in message ...
[.....]
I can't help but remember (and compare) the problems
that film cameras used to have with the film-speed/noise issues. Then, I
learned to shoot in 64ASA Kodachrome with a tripod to get those sharp
noise/grain-free images of yesteryear.
How do feel about writing legible prose?
What an odd comment to make about an intelligently written
detailed description of the author's camera selection process...
--DR

"Legible" was the wrong word because that indicates visual aspect of
the letters. However, the writing could certainly benefit from the
use of the "enter" key to delineate paragraphs.

Well, it's an arcane usage of the word, and not wrong; it's from the
same guy who insists on spelling the singular of "lens" as "lense".

Wrong.

Hmmm. Wrong in that you don't spell lens in an odd way, or wrong that
using "illegible" is not an arcane usage, or some other wrong?

--
john mcwilliams
Old October 17th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ray Fischer

Pete D wrote:
"No spam please" wrote in message

n-DSLR. First of all, I've had a long-time interest in
photography, over the years having owned a number of DSL cameras as
well as
having my own darkroom. Pressure of work (or rather commuting into
London)
in the latter period of my working life meant that my absorbing
interest in
photography was put on the back burner. My last DSL camera was a Pentax
LX,

Hello.

What is a "DSL" camera, please?

One hooked up via POTS.....

I have heard of DSLR and SLR (and even TLR) but not DSL.

I was thinking the same thing.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was clearly a typo, and I am sure you got it in
context.

Well no, what is it? I would not be so bold as to presume!!

You're an idiot.

FYI

--
Ray Fischer

Old October 18th 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 07:30:10 -0800, (Floyd L. Davidson)
wrote:
: "David Ruether" wrote:
: "Floyd L. Davidson" wrote in message ...
: "David Ruether" wrote:
: "N" wrote in message . au...
: wrote in message ...
:
: [.....]
: I can't help but remember (and compare) the problems
: that film cameras used to have with the film-speed/noise issues. Then, I
: learned to shoot in 64ASA Kodachrome with a tripod to get those sharp
: noise/grain-free images of yesteryear.
:
: How do feel about writing legible prose?
:
: What an odd comment to make about an intelligently written
: detailed description of the author's camera selection process...
:
: You should put a smiley on your jokes. Somebody will think
: you're serious.
: --
: Floyd L. Davidson
:
: But, I *was* serious... Note that commenting on the style of
: writing in posts is more than a little OT, and that in this particular
: case, the OP is from the UK and writing in a style that may be
: unfamiliar to "Ah-mare-ih-kunz" (which is to say, he is writing
: in "real English", unlike what most of us do here - hence the
: unfamiliarity with his style...;-). He was quite capable of writing
: well and expressing what he wished to, and he did so IMHO...
: --DR
:
: His writing was not legible. No paragraphs, no continuity.

If the OP's prose is the worst you have to read, you're pretty lucky.

Bob
Old October 18th 09, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Furman

David Ruether wrote:
Paul Furman wrote

Dang formatting... try this:

[...]

[With apologies to the OP...]

Dang, Paul, you forgot to add the chapter titles! ;-)

I considered doing an index with numbered lines :-|
Old October 18th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 07:40:26 +1100, "Pete D" wrote:
:
: "John McWilliams" wrote in message
: ...
: Pete D wrote:
[...]

It's a digital camera with only one lens. OK?

Bob
Old October 18th 09, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Quote from Para 3.1.1 of RFC1855....

"Don't send mail or post messages solely to point out other peoples errors
in typing, spelling or grammar. These, more than any other behavior, mark
you as an immature beginner".
Old October 18th 09, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Indeed. But I'd (again) point the previouos poster to RFC1855.

"Don't send mail or post messages simply to point out other people's errors
in typing or spelling....

These, more than any other behavior, mark you as an immature beginner"

Oh... Gosh... I've split this into paragraphs....