(April,17th) Picture of the Week

Old April 19th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default (April,17th) Picture of the Week

"William Graham" wrote in message

"Chris Loffredo" wrote in message
Annika1980 wrote:

If I had to live in Paris, I would protest.

Isn't Tennessee the State where at one point PI was legally defined as
being equal to 3.0?
And you'd miss out on your banjo music...

No, this is a false urban legend, and it was Alabama....Not
Tennessee......See:
http://www.snopes.com/religion/pi.htm

Ah, but at the bottom of the snopes article it says this:
Sightings: In _Stranger in a Strange Land_ (written in 1961), Robert
Heinlein makes passing mention of Tennessee's enacting a law making pi equal
3.0

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old April 19th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Annika1980 wrote:

If I had to live in Paris, I would protest.

Isn't Tennessee the State where at one point PI was legally defined as
being equal to 3.0?
And you'd miss out on your banjo music...

No, this is a false urban legend, and it was Alabama....Not
Tennessee......See:
http://www.snopes.com/religion/pi.htm

.....As opposed to a true Urban Legend??

Any way, Pi is as Pi does.....too bad about the numerical expressions, tho.

Ah, but at the bottom of the snopes article it says this:
Sightings: In _Stranger in a Strange Land_ (written in 1961), Robert
Heinlein makes passing mention of Tennessee's enacting a law making pi equal
3.0

Both states are candidates for odd legislation, but not in an exclusive
club or anything.

--
John McWilliams
Old April 19th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

That's good to see (the English stuff).
Kids are told today that the English system has no relationship
between the dimensions as does the metric system.

1 Pint (16 oz) of H2O weighs 1 lb
so ... 16 fluid ounces of water weighs 16 ounces.
1 cu ft = 8 gal
8 pints per gallon
1 cu ft water weighs 64 lbs. A nice binary progression, rather than
decimal.

Collin
KC8TKA

Old April 19th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Annika1980 wrote:

If I had to live in Paris, I would protest.

Isn't Tennessee the State where at one point PI was legally defined as
being equal to 3.0?
And you'd miss out on your banjo music...

No, this is a false urban legend, and it was Alabama....Not
Tennessee......See:
http://www.snopes.com/religion/pi.htm

Ah, but at the bottom of the snopes article it says this:
Sightings: In _Stranger in a Strange Land_ (written in 1961), Robert
Heinlein makes passing mention of Tennessee's enacting a law making pi
equal
3.0

Yes. Heinlein wrote fiction (fortunately) and not history......
My favorite Pi approximation is 355/113, which beats the hell out of
22/7.....

Old April 20th 06, 10:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

MarkČ wrote:
http://www.monochromatique.com/photosemaine/

Your most interesting shot to date.
A fascinating captured moment.

Thanks MarkČ !

--
Daniel Rocha | Photographie
http://www.monochromatique.com

Old April 20th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Cheesehead wrote:

That's good to see (the English stuff).
Kids are told today that the English system has no relationship
between the dimensions as does the metric system.

1 Pint (16 oz) of H2O weighs 1 lb
so ... 16 fluid ounces of water weighs 16 ounces.
1 cu ft = 8 gal
8 pints per gallon
1 cu ft water weighs 64 lbs. A nice binary progression, rather than
decimal.

Two hands = naturally binary?
Old April 21st 06, 11:06 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Draco wrote:
(...)
Again, it must be my system here
that keeps darking your images. I look
at the image and see what you
were after. Either a comical situation
or one the was going to be very intense
very quickly.

It's probably right for both situations.

Good job in either situation. The seperation
between the blacks and grays are dang
near perfect. The white of his coat isn't
blown out. Detail is maintained.

Thanks Draco !

Keep at it. You are documenting the
history of your city. It is worthy.

It's too much, but thanks

Old April 21st 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"William Graham" wrote in message
. ..

Annika1980 wrote:

If I had to live in Paris, I would protest.

Isn't Tennessee the State where at one point PI was legally defined

as
being equal to 3.0?
And you'd miss out on your banjo music...

No, this is a false urban legend, and it was Alabama....Not
Tennessee......See:
http://www.snopes.com/religion/pi.htm

Ah, but at the bottom of the snopes article it says this:
Sightings: In _Stranger in a Strange Land_ (written in 1961), Robert
Heinlein makes passing mention of Tennessee's enacting a law making pi
equal
3.0

Yes. Heinlein wrote fiction (fortunately) and not history......
My favorite Pi approximation is 355/113, which beats the hell out of
22/7.....

I'm just pointing out that he wasn't anymore factually incorrect saying
Tennessee than he was saying Alabama. Both were fictionally posited as
religious pi in the sky nuts, and in fact the Tennessee reference came
first... ;-)

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old April 21st 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

No, this is a false urban legend, and it was Alabama....Not
Tennessee.

Yeah, they've got some real dimbulbs in Alabama.
One guy got elected and on his first day in office presented a bill
which would move the month of February back on the calendar to fall in
between July and August. He reasoned that February is a short month
anyway and is usually cold and rainy. Therefore, it would be better to
have it fall between those two hot, dry Summer months.