digital camera battery use

Old November 4th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default digital camera battery use

I am shopping for a new digital camera that would cost under $150.
My question, is the battery usage of all digital camera the same, or
do some cameras need battery replacement less frequently than others?

best, Aaron

Old November 4th 07, 06:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 08:54:13 -0800, "
wrote:

I am shopping for a new digital camera that would cost under $150.
My question, is the battery usage of all digital camera the same, or
do some cameras need battery replacement less frequently than others?

best, Aaron

Generally speaking replacing batteries in a digital camera is not
done.

Digital cameras either use a rechargeable proprietary Lithium ion
battery or use NIMH AA rechargeable. With the introduction of
low self discharge NIMH batteries such as the Sanyo Eneloop or
the Hybrid types I would lean toward these over the Lithium ions..
Lithium ion batteries work great but they are proprietary and start
to slowly degrade from the time of their manufacturing. They'll do
this even if they aren't used. After about five years a Lithium ion
loses much of it's capacity.

As far as non rechargeable go....many Digital cameras now days can
use alkaline AA's, refer to the manual. Some can also use the non
rechargeable Lithium AA's, refer to the manual. Why bother with these
when you have a rechargeable choice.
Old November 5th 07, 12:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Not4wood

LOL, thats why you have more then one. While one is dying you already have
a fully charged battery waiting to go.
If its a real important job, you will have a charger setup in one corner
some where charging the battery that was just pulled and another one or two
still charged in your pocket also waiting to be used.

If its an important job, you dont want to have packs of AA's flying around
that might not last half as long as a fully recharged Lithium.

Not4wood

wrote:

I am shopping for a new digital camera that would cost under $150.
My question, is the battery usage of all digital camera the same, or
do some cameras need battery replacement less frequently than others?

best, Aaron

Generally speaking replacing batteries in a digital camera is not
done.

Just because you use rechargeable batteries doesn't mean you don't have to
replace them. When the set in the camera go dead, you need to put a fresh
set in. Unless you are willing to stop what you are doing and wait for
the only set you have to recharge. I think the OP is looking for long
battery life so he doesn't have to swap out a set of cells or recharge
very often. Also all rechargeable cells can only be recharged a certain
number of times before they need to be replaced. The more shots you can
take before recharging the longer the cells are going to last.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

Ham Radio Repeater Database.
http://hrrdb.com

Old November 6th 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏

Not4wood wrote:
LOL, thats why you have more then one. While one is dying you already have
a fully charged battery waiting to go.
If its a real important job, you will have a charger setup in one corner
some where charging the battery that was just pulled and another one or two
still charged in your pocket also waiting to be used.

If its an important job, you dont want to have packs of AA's flying around
that might not last half as long as a fully recharged Lithium.

No professional or prosumer digital SLRs use AA batteries, so I don't
think any "important job" would have AA's anyway, unless someone is
using AA trays in a vertical grip. In that case, the AA's are already in
a tray and can be quickly swapped. though not easily recharged as you'd
need two chargers or a six cell charger. I think that the only current
production D-SLR that uses AA batteries is the Pentax K100D/K110D, which
is a very entry-level model that no professional would ever use.
Old November 10th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

SMS ??? ? wrote:

edited for brevity

No professional or prosumer digital SLRs use AA batteries, so I don't
think any "important job" would have AA's anyway, unless someone is
using AA trays in a vertical grip.

Hello, Steven:

You're wrong, sorry. The Pentax K100D, for example, can be considered a
"prosumer digital SLR," and it's "burdened" by AA cells.

In that case, the AA's are already in a tray and can be quickly
swapped. though not easily recharged as you'd need two chargers or
a six cell charger. I think that the only current production D-SLR
that uses AA batteries is the Pentax K100D/K110D, which is a very
entry-level model that no professional would ever use.

Oh, c'mon...how are you so certain that, NO pro photographer employs
such a Pentax DSLR?

Cordially,
John Turco
Old November 6th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

************************************************** ************************************************** *************************************
reply to all of the good people who answered my initial question:
thank you thank you for your informative posts.! This morning I
purchased a Sanyo Eneloop charger with 8 rechargeable batteries from
Costco for about $25. On a different thread Eneloop was very highly
recommended because the batteries do not lose their charge as others
when not being used and come fully charged when purchased. Best, Aaron

Old November 6th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

reply to all of the good people who answered my initial question:
thank you thank you for your informative posts.! This morning I
purchased a Sanyo Eneloop charger with 8 rechargeable batteries from
Costco for about $25. On a different thread Eneloop was very highly
recommended because the batteries do not lose their charge as others
when not being used and come fully charged when purchased. Best, Aaron

You won't be disappointed with these batteries. Read this thread :

A further advantage in using the AA's is if you happen to not have
your rechargeable at hand or ready you can always purchase a non
rechargeable set of AA's in either alkaline or the non rechargeable
version of a Lithium AA. Always consult your manual first before using
AA alkaline's or AA Lithium's. Some cameras do not recommend their
use. Most do.
Old November 10th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
JosephKK

Not4wood posted to rec.photo.digital:

wrote:

[...]

There are different situations. If reliable power and recharging
equipment is handy it is very difficult to beat three (sets) of
Li-Poly batteries. If you are are out in the woods two boxes of AA
could be best. Proper preparation prevents poor performance. (The P5
rule).