Panasonic FZ50 beats the DSLRs (again!)

Old November 14th 07, 11:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_4_]

Default Panasonic FZ50 beats the DSLRs (again!)

Douglas wrote:
The DSLR devotees and worshipers of EOS will not be pleased about
this.

Faced with the need for silence but having instructions to capture the
ceremony ruled out using a DSLR with their quaint clatter as a spring
loaded mirror comes to a shuddering halt against hard rubber stops and
the equally noisy "clack" of their shutters. Instead I used one of my
Panasonic FZ50 "santa's little helper" cameras in stealth mode.

No mirror to slap, no vibrations to blur the shot. No need for high
shutter speed = high ISO. None of that stuff but perfect pictures none
the less!

http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-perfect.htm

Douglas

From the above site:

_____________________
"Using the Panasonic FZ50's unique "stealth mode" which DSLRs can never
achieve, the shooter was able to work silently inside this small, historic
church without interfering with the ceremony.
"The built in image stabilizer and sweet Leica, Vario-elmarit lens with a
35mm equivalent range of 35 - 420 allowed a shutter speed of just 1/15th
of a second to capture this shot as the shooter moved around the church."
_____________________

"Unique" stealth mode? What's so special about it that wouldn't apply to
similar cameras? If the shooter is moving around the church, he is most
certainly interfering with ceremony, at least in my view.

David

Old November 14th 07, 03:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sosumi

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message .uk...
Douglas wrote:
The DSLR devotees and worshipers of EOS will not be pleased about
this.

Faced with the need for silence but having instructions to capture the
ceremony ruled out using a DSLR with their quaint clatter as a spring
loaded mirror comes to a shuddering halt against hard rubber stops and
the equally noisy "clack" of their shutters. Instead I used one of my
Panasonic FZ50 "santa's little helper" cameras in stealth mode.

No mirror to slap, no vibrations to blur the shot. No need for high
shutter speed = high ISO. None of that stuff but perfect pictures none
the less!

http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-perfect.htm

Douglas

From the above site:

_____________________
"Using the Panasonic FZ50's unique "stealth mode" which DSLRs can never
achieve, the shooter was able to work silently inside this small, historic
church without interfering with the ceremony.
"The built in image stabilizer and sweet Leica, Vario-elmarit lens with a
35mm equivalent range of 35 - 420 allowed a shutter speed of just 1/15th
of a second to capture this shot as the shooter moved around the church."
_____________________

"Unique" stealth mode? What's so special about it that wouldn't apply to
similar cameras? If the shooter is moving around the church, he is most
certainly interfering with ceremony, at least in my view.

Never mind that. I think he uses Tide to wash his camera; never seen wither
whites or blacker blacks. The camera seems to be a people "uglifier"; look
at the DOG at the third picture between the kids. Poor kids!

--
"I don΄t need a camera,
I have a photographic memory..."

Old November 14th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS ζ–―θ’‚ζ–‡β€’ 倏

Sosumi wrote:

Never mind that. I think he uses Tide to wash his camera; never seen wither
whites or blacker blacks. The camera seems to be a people "uglifier"; look
at the DOG at the third picture between the kids. Poor kids!

I think this is post-processing, not from the camera, and it may not
even be from the Panasonic camera.

The first time I tried to go to his site, it wasn't found, indicating
that it's just been put up very, very, recently, and not yet indexed.

The second time, I got a message that said "Most likely you just tried
to download one of my copyright images by using the "view background
image" feature of your browser. This is not permitted. Please don't do it."

The third time, I actually got to the page where he promotes the
Panasonic cameras.

He also seems to indicate that his D-SLRs are the 10D and 20D, which as
good as they were, were not professional digital SLRs.
Old November 15th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 07:57:11 -0800, SMS ???• ?
wrote in
:

Sosumi wrote:

Never mind that. I think he uses Tide to wash his camera; never seen wither
whites or blacker blacks. The camera seems to be a people "uglifier"; look
at the DOG at the third picture between the kids. Poor kids!

I think this is post-processing, not from the camera, and it may not
even be from the Panasonic camera.

The first time I tried to go to his site, it wasn't found, indicating
that it's just been put up very, very, recently, and not yet indexed.

The second time, I got a message that said "Most likely you just tried
to download one of my copyright images by using the "view background
image" feature of your browser. This is not permitted. Please don't do it."

The third time, I actually got to the page where he promotes the
Panasonic cameras.

All of which is utterly irrelevant.

He also seems to indicate that his D-SLRs are the 10D and 20D, which as
good as they were, were not professional digital SLRs.

The 10D and 20D were actually used by many working pros.

--
Best regards,
John Navas
Old November 15th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Douglas[_4_]

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 07:57:11 -0800, SMS ζ–―θ’‚ζ–‡β€’ 倏 wrote:

Sosumi wrote:

[...]

Don't you just love gossip?
Ever though to ask to OP?

Nah... Much better to create folklore with rumor and gossip. More fun
doing that, isn't it?

Douglas

--
If you don't defend your rights... You end up without any!
Old November 15th 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
stuseven

well, that wedding shot is a very nice interior picture, no two ways
about it...

So far as this P&s /vs/ DSLR thing... well... its all been said
already.
Sure, P&S does a terrific job, in a compact camera... but... if I had
ten-thousand bucks, Id get a DSLR - these things take amazing
pictures... so... it's good pictures versus good pictures... there
never
will be a winner in this "debate".

On Nov 14, 6:02 am, "David J Taylor" -this-
bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk wrote:
Douglas wrote:
The DSLR devotees and worshipers of EOS will not be pleased about
this.

Faced with the need for silence but having instructions to capture the
ceremony ruled out using a DSLR with their quaint clatter as a spring
loaded mirror comes to a shuddering halt against hard rubber stops and
the equally noisy "clack" of their shutters. Instead I used one of my
Panasonic FZ50 "santa's little helper" cameras in stealth mode.

No mirror to slap, no vibrations to blur the shot. No need for high
shutter speed = high ISO. None of that stuff but perfect pictures none
the less!

http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-perfect.htm

Douglas

From the above site:

_____________________
"Using the Panasonic FZ50's unique "stealth mode" which DSLRs can never
achieve, the shooter was able to work silently inside this small, historic
church without interfering with the ceremony.
"The built in image stabilizer and sweet Leica, Vario-elmarit lens with a
35mm equivalent range of 35 - 420 allowed a shutter speed of just 1/15th
of a second to capture this shot as the shooter moved around the church."
_____________________

"Unique" stealth mode? What's so special about it that wouldn't apply to
similar cameras? If the shooter is moving around the church, he is most
certainly interfering with ceremony, at least in my view.

David- Hide quoted text -

Old November 16th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:27:52 -0800 (PST), stuseven
wrote in
:

well, that wedding shot is a very nice interior picture, no two ways
about it...

So far as this P&s /vs/ DSLR thing... well... its all been said
already.
Sure, P&S does a terrific job, in a compact camera... but... if I had
ten-thousand bucks, Id get a DSLR - these things take amazing
pictures...

Sure they do, but then so do compact bridge cameras like the FZ50.

If a DSLR would really work better for me, then I'd be using a DSLR.

I use a compact bridge camera instead when I'm out and about because the
fast handling helps me get better pictures than with a full SLR kit.

"The best camera is the one you actually have with you."

so... it's good pictures versus good pictures... there
never
will be a winner in this "debate".

True.