Panasonic FZ50 beats the DSLRs (again!)

Old November 14th 07, 07:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Douglas[_4_]

Default Panasonic FZ50 beats the DSLRs (again!)

The DSLR devotees and worshipers of EOS will not be pleased about this.

Faced with the need for silence but having instructions to capture the
ceremony ruled out using a DSLR with their quaint clatter as a spring
loaded mirror comes to a shuddering halt against hard rubber stops and
the equally noisy “clack” of their shutters… Instead I used one of my
Panasonic FZ50 "santa's little helper" cameras in stealth mode.

No mirror to slap, no vibrations to blur the shot. No need for high
shutter speed = high ISO… None of that stuff but perfect pictures none
the less!

http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-perfect.htm

Douglas

--
If you don't defend your rights... You end up without any!
Old November 14th 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Pete D

"Douglas" wrote in message

The DSLR devotees and worshipers of EOS will not be pleased about this.

Faced with the need for silence but having instructions to capture the
ceremony ruled out using a DSLR with their quaint clatter as a spring
loaded mirror comes to a shuddering halt against hard rubber stops and
the equally noisy "clack" of their shutters. Instead I used one of my
Panasonic FZ50 "santa's little helper" cameras in stealth mode.

No mirror to slap, no vibrations to blur the shot. No need for high
shutter speed = high ISO. None of that stuff but perfect pictures none
the less!

http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-perfect.htm

Douglas

--
If you don't defend your rights... You end up without any!

ROFL! Where can we buy a copy, these are just amazing!!

Old November 14th 07, 09:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Douglas wrote:
The DSLR devotees and worshipers of EOS will not be pleased about this.

Faced with the need for silence but having instructions to capture the
ceremony ruled out using a DSLR with their quaint clatter as a spring
loaded mirror comes to a shuddering halt against hard rubber stops and
the equally noisy “clack” of their shutters… Instead I used one of my
Panasonic FZ50 "santa's little helper" cameras in stealth mode.

No mirror to slap, no vibrations to blur the shot. No need for high
shutter speed = high ISO… None of that stuff but perfect pictures none
the less!

http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-perfect.htm

Douglas

You should change your nick to "Showbags" - things look ok
at first, but ultimately it turns out to be just the same
old ****.
Old November 14th 07, 11:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 07:28:44 +0000 (UTC), Douglas
wrote:

The DSLR devotees and worshipers of EOS will not be pleased about this.

Faced with the need for silence but having instructions to capture the
ceremony ruled out using a DSLR with their quaint clatter as a spring
loaded mirror comes to a shuddering halt against hard rubber stops and
the equally noisy clack of their shutters Instead I used one of my
Panasonic FZ50 "santa's little helper" cameras in stealth mode.

No mirror to slap, no vibrations to blur the shot. No need for high
shutter speed = high ISO None of that stuff but perfect pictures none
the less!

http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-perfect.htm

Douglas

So what are you saying here? That there is no one camera that meets
evry photogaphic need.

Well, Welcome to the world of reality there sunshine! Glad to see your
light bulb finally got screwed in! Now tell me, did you figure this
out all on your own or did you use Google?

Old November 14th 07, 01:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Nov 14, 2:28 am, Douglas wrote:
Instead I used one of my Panasonic FZ50 "santa's little helper" cameras in stealth mode.

Wait a minute. You already said that these pics were taken by Margie.
So are you now Marg, posting as D-Mac?

Old November 14th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
RichA

On Nov 14, 2:28 am, Douglas wrote:
The DSLR devotees and worshipers of EOS will not be pleased about this.

Faced with the need for silence but having instructions to capture the
ceremony ruled out using a DSLR with their quaint clatter as a spring
loaded mirror comes to a shuddering halt against hard rubber stops and
the equally noisy "clack" of their shutters... Instead I used one of my
Panasonic FZ50 "santa's little helper" cameras in stealth mode.

No mirror to slap, no vibrations to blur the shot. No need for high
shutter speed = high ISO... None of that stuff but perfect pictures none
the less!

http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-perfect.htm

Douglas

--
If you don't defend your rights... You end up without any!

Nice enough looking image, for 640 x 420 size. But I agree about the
silent part, I wish Sony had kept the R1 going and incorporated IS
because it was silent and had a good sensor, unlike most P&Ss.

Old November 14th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, aus.photo, rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Wolfgang Weisselberg

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems.]
Douglas wrote:

Faced with the need for silence but having instructions to capture the
ceremony [...] I used one of my Panasonic FZ50

No mirror to slap, no vibrations to blur the shot. No need for high
shutter speed = high ISO? None of that stuff but perfect pictures none
the less!

You are just too cheap to spring for a Leica, or any other real
range finder camera.

But then, any 2003 2MPix P&S can do that ...

-Wolfgang
Old November 19th 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Andrew Haley

Douglas wrote:

The DSLR devotees and worshipers of EOS will not be pleased about this.

Faced with the need for silence but having instructions to capture the
ceremony ruled out using a DSLR with their quaint clatter as a spring
loaded mirror comes to a shuddering halt against hard rubber stops and
the equally noisy “clack” of their shutters… Instead I used one of my
Panasonic FZ50 "santa's little helper" cameras in stealth mode.

No mirror to slap, no vibrations to blur the shot. No need for high
shutter speed = high ISO… None of that stuff but perfect pictures none
the less!

http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-perfect.htm

There's a nasty magenta cast in the midtones.

Andrew.
Old November 19th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Andrew Haley

In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Andrew Haley wrote:
Douglas wrote:

The DSLR devotees and worshipers of EOS will not be pleased about this.

Faced with the need for silence but having instructions to capture the
ceremony ruled out using a DSLR with their quaint clatter as a spring
loaded mirror comes to a shuddering halt against hard rubber stops and
the equally noisy “clack” of their shutters… Instead I used one of my
Panasonic FZ50 "santa's little helper" cameras in stealth mode.

No mirror to slap, no vibrations to blur the shot. No need for high
shutter speed = high ISO… None of that stuff but perfect pictures none
the less!

http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-perfect.htm

There's a nasty magenta cast in the midtones.

Sorry, I meant the highlights. I can't tell whether the midtones have
a magenta cast as well.

Andrew.
Old November 19th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,aus.photo,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Poxy[_2_]

wrote:
Douglas wrote:

The DSLR devotees and worshipers of EOS will not be pleased about
this.

Faced with the need for silence but having instructions to capture
the ceremony ruled out using a DSLR with their quaint clatter as a
spring loaded mirror comes to a shuddering halt against hard rubber
stops and
the equally noisy ?oclack? of their shutters? Instead I used
one of my Panasonic FZ50 "santa's little helper" cameras in stealth
mode.

No mirror to slap, no vibrations to blur the shot. No need for high
shutter speed = high ISO? None of that stuff but perfect pictures
none the less!

http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-perfect.htm

There's a nasty magenta cast in the midtones.

Sorry, I meant the highlights. I can't tell whether the midtones have
a magenta cast as well.

You're right - you can see it in the quarter-tones of the folds of the
dress. And yes, nasty.

It looks like Panasonic, in attempting to distance itself from the
disasterous FZ30 by skipping the FZ40 and releasing the FZ50, failed to
completely fix the colour problems that plagued the FZ30.