RAW File Support

Old January 30th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nigel

Default RAW File Support

Hi,

I'm new to digital photography and am still finding my way. I've got a
Canon 350D and am using Photoshop 7. Is there any way I can get RAW
file support on this version of Photoshop either using Canon's RAW
format or converting to DNG?

Many thanks

Old January 30th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eatmorepies

"nigel" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I'm new to digital photography and am still finding my way. I've got a
Canon 350D and am using Photoshop 7. Is there any way I can get RAW
file support on this version of Photoshop either using Canon's RAW
format or converting to DNG?

I don't think so. The Adobe site will supply an appropriate plug-ib if it's
available. It will also list which version will accept which plug-ins.

John

Old January 30th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

nigel wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to digital photography and am still finding my way. I've got a
Canon 350D and am using Photoshop 7. Is there any way I can get RAW
file support on this version of Photoshop either using Canon's RAW
format or converting to DNG?

You'll probably have to go through DNG. Adobe doesn't update old
versions of the Camera Raw plugin, so if the camera came out after the
version of Photoshop you're out of luck for direct converstion.

Make sure you have the latest ACR for that version of photoshop, and if
that doesn't work, go via DNG.

However, you can always download the *latest* DNG converter, which
supports newer cameras, and convert the raw to DNG, and then the older
ACR will convert the DNG to an image.
Old January 30th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Mitchum

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

nigel wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to digital photography and am still finding my way. I've got a
Canon 350D and am using Photoshop 7. Is there any way I can get RAW
file support on this version of Photoshop either using Canon's RAW
format or converting to DNG?

You'll probably have to go through DNG. Adobe doesn't update old
versions of the Camera Raw plugin, so if the camera came out after the
version of Photoshop you're out of luck for direct converstion.

Make sure you have the latest ACR for that version of photoshop, and if
that doesn't work, go via DNG.

However, you can always download the *latest* DNG converter, which
supports newer cameras, and convert the raw to DNG, and then the older
ACR will convert the DNG to an image.

This is true, but will PS 7 be able to use DNG files?
Old January 31st 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

Paul Mitchum wrote:
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

nigel wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to digital photography and am still finding my way. I've got a
Canon 350D and am using Photoshop 7. Is there any way I can get RAW
file support on this version of Photoshop either using Canon's RAW
format or converting to DNG?

You'll probably have to go through DNG. Adobe doesn't update old
versions of the Camera Raw plugin, so if the camera came out after the
version of Photoshop you're out of luck for direct converstion.

Make sure you have the latest ACR for that version of photoshop, and if
that doesn't work, go via DNG.

However, you can always download the *latest* DNG converter, which
supports newer cameras, and convert the raw to DNG, and then the older
ACR will convert the DNG to an image.

This is true, but will PS 7 be able to use DNG files?

I'm not sure what "7" was; was that the original "CS"?

The question is, does it have Adobe Camera Raw, and does the latest ACR
available for it support DNG? I'm quite confident those things are true
of Photoshop CS.
Old January 31st 07, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Astigmatic Owl

"Paul Mitchum" wrote in message
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

nigel wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to digital photography and am still finding my way. I've got a
Canon 350D and am using Photoshop 7. Is there any way I can get RAW
file support on this version of Photoshop either using Canon's RAW
format or converting to DNG?

You'll probably have to go through DNG. Adobe doesn't update old
versions of the Camera Raw plugin, so if the camera came out after the
version of Photoshop you're out of luck for direct converstion.

Make sure you have the latest ACR for that version of photoshop, and if
that doesn't work, go via DNG.

However, you can always download the *latest* DNG converter, which
supports newer cameras, and convert the raw to DNG, and then the older
ACR will convert the DNG to an image.

This is true, but will PS 7 be able to use DNG files?

While Adobe limits which versions of Photoshop can use the latest versions
the Adobe Camera RAW (ACR) plug-in, they have been much more generous
with Photoshop Elements. The latest version of ACR is 3.6 and it works with
Elements versions 3, 4, and 5. If you buy Elements 5, it will cost you about
US $80, less on a good sale. ACR 3.6 was released in October 2006, so it
handles all cameras available before about September 2006.

ACR 3.6 is available on www.adobe.com which will list supported camera.

Old January 31st 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Barry Pearson

On Jan 30, 8:30 pm, (Paul Mitchum) wrote:
[snip]
This is true, but will PS 7 be able to use DNG files

No. There is now no Adobe raw-handling plugin for 7. (CS = 8).

Bibble have one. It doesn't support DNG, but does support lots of
cameras.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/photography/

Old January 31st 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Mitchum

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Paul Mitchum wrote:
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

nigel wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to digital photography and am still finding my way. I've got a
Canon 350D and am using Photoshop 7. Is there any way I can get RAW
file support on this version of Photoshop either using Canon's RAW
format or converting to DNG?
You'll probably have to go through DNG. Adobe doesn't update old
versions of the Camera Raw plugin, so if the camera came out after the
version of Photoshop you're out of luck for direct converstion.

Make sure you have the latest ACR for that version of photoshop, and if
that doesn't work, go via DNG.

However, you can always download the *latest* DNG converter, which
supports newer cameras, and convert the raw to DNG, and then the older
ACR will convert the DNG to an image.

This is true, but will PS 7 be able to use DNG files?

I'm not sure what "7" was; was that the original "CS"?

CS was 8.

The question is, does it have Adobe Camera Raw, and does the latest ACR
available for it support DNG? I'm quite confident those things are true
of Photoshop CS.

But not 7. That's the point.
Old January 31st 07, 10:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nigel

On 31 Jan, 02:24, (Paul Mitchum) wrote:
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Paul Mitchum wrote:
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

nigel wrote:
[...]

But not 7. That's the point.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all replies & info. Looks like I'll have to stick with
jpegs for now until I get CS2 or 3.

Old January 31st 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul

nigel wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to digital photography and am still finding my way. I've got a
Canon 350D and am using Photoshop 7. Is there any way I can get RAW
file support on this version of Photoshop either using Canon's RAW
format or converting to DNG?

Many thanks

Try these:
http://www.wizards.de/rawdrop/