Problem with AF on 50mm f1.8 and 300D?

Old June 30th 04, 02:23 PM
Rowan Crowe

Default Problem with AF on 50mm f1.8 and 300D?

My new lens seems to have a problem with focussing when it's attached
to my 300D (AKA Digital Rebel). No such problems when it's attached to
my 33V (a film body).

On the 300D it's hit and miss whether it focuses... most of the time
it clunks from end to end (passing right through the exact point of
sharp focus) and the "no focus" indicator blinks. If I release and
half press the shutter it will hunt again. Sometimes it finds the
correct focus point, but most of the time it just clunks and whirs for
a couple of seconds.

Is this a known prob with the 50mm 1.8? I think it's a grey import
(purchased from centre.net.au with a USA/Canada warranty - I'm in
Australia) so I don't know if there is some sort of incompatibility
between the AU 300D and the US/CA lens.

The 300D has no problems with the 18-55mm kit lens and a Sigma
12-24mm, focus is fast and accurate on both of those.

Thanks for any help!
Old July 23rd 04, 05:18 PM
Vic

Take it back, it's a dud!
I too had a 50mm 1.8 that was stuffed. Although the AF worked perfect
the thing would'nt focus at all, AF or M focus, took it back to the
camera exchange and they did what they do best.....they exchanged it
Now I got me a 50mm 1.8 that behaves like it should.

Vic

Rowan Crowe wrote:

(Rowan Crowe) wrote in message . com...

My new lens seems to have a problem with focussing when it's attached
to my 300D (AKA Digital Rebel). No such problems when it's attached to
my 33V (a film body).

On the 300D it's hit and miss whether it focuses... most of the time
it clunks from end to end (passing right through the exact point of
sharp focus) and the "no focus" indicator blinks. If I release and

SNIP

Old July 24th 04, 03:14 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Rowan
Crowe wrote:

Too late - a few days after I got it I was taking a night shot on a
slope, and a gust of wind toppled the (lightweight) tripod. The camera
fell forward and landed lens first. Luckily it was soft sandy soil.
The lens body has a few scratches on the front but apart from that it
survived just fine. So did the camera, thankfully... not a scratch in
sight.

Sounds like a pretty crappy tripod if the wind can knock it over.

Old July 24th 04, 04:39 AM
kosh

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
In article , Rowan
Crowe wrote:

Too late - a few days after I got it I was taking a night shot on a
slope, and a gust of wind toppled the (lightweight) tripod. The camera
fell forward and landed lens first. Luckily it was soft sandy soil.
The lens body has a few scratches on the front but apart from that it
survived just fine. So did the camera, thankfully... not a scratch in
sight.

Sounds like a pretty crappy tripod if the wind can knock it over.

yeah, but I'm sure it was portable..... the joys of buying a tripod! Sturdy
yet light

kosh