ABES OF Maine

Old July 11th 04, 07:23 PM
Jeremy

Default ABES OF Maine

Michael Neville wrote in message
news:TYZGc.9898$eO.3615@edtnps89...
My wife is thinking of ordering a lens on-line from Abes of Maine. Any
stories about ABes that I should be aware of before we ink the deal?

Numerous individuals have complained about them. Note that they did name
their business "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

Old July 11th 04, 07:33 PM
Gary Eickmeier

Jeremy wrote:

Numerous individuals have complained about them. Note that they did name
their business "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

They did? I thought it was just Abe's of Maine. When did they change it?

Gary Eickmeier

Old July 12th 04, 02:18 AM
Stan

Jeremy wrote:

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
. ..

Jeremy wrote:

Numerous individuals have complained about them. Note that they did

name
their business "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

They did? I thought it was just Abe's of Maine. When did they change it?

Gary Eickmeier

Sorry, I should have proofread that before I sent it. I meant to say that
they did NOT call themselves "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

Mea Culpa!

I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that they were "Honest Abe's"
a long time back (about 25 years ago). Maybe it was another outfit, or
maybe Abe's just sounds good with "honest" in front of it. Honest.

--
* * * To reply, remove numbers from address.

Stan http://www.neworleansphotographs.com

http://www.atneworleans.com
http://www.sbeckart.com/sbeck
Old July 13th 04, 02:09 AM
William Graham

"Jeremy" wrote in message
k.net...

"George" wrote in message

k.net...

Jeremy wrote:

Numerous individuals have complained about them. Note that they

did
name
their business "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

They did? I thought it was just Abe's of Maine. When did they change

it?

Gary Eickmeier

Sorry, I should have proofread that before I sent it. I meant to say

that
they did NOT call themselves "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

Mea Culpa!

Actually, I think Focus Cameras used to have a fineprint tagline that

called
itself
"Honest Abe's Focus Cameras"...I believe they have dropped it some time
back,
probably to avoid confusion with Abe's of Maine (amazingly located in

the
general
NYC area). I have ordered filters and stuff ($100) without any

problems
from
Focus Cameras.

What you've really gotta watch for is most of the shady NYC camera

stores
with
bad reputations are advertising using new, high-tech digital sounding

names.

Now that you mention that, I do vaguely remember that "Honest Abe's" bit.

I read that the New York City Bureau of Consumer Protection listed camera
dealers as THE type of business that they received the most complaints
about. It comes as no surprise.

I still remember an incident I had with now-defunct Wall Street Camera,
around 1974. I wanted to add a Honeywell Pentax ES body to my Spotmatic

IIa
and Spotmatic F collection. The ES-II had been released by that time, and
the ES models were going for $229 as WSC. It seemed like a pretty good
deal, so one Sunday morning, I drove to Lower Manhattan from my home in

New
Jersey and bought an ES.

I was physically in the store, not a mail order purchaser.

The salesman brought out an ES body, with no box or accessories, and began
to wrap it. "Where's the box," I asked.

"Oh! You want a BOX?" he replied. And he brought out the box.

"Where's the warranty card?" I asked.

"Oh! You want a warranty card?" he replied. And he went into the back

room
and came out with the warranty card.

"Where's the instruction manual?" I asked.

"Oh! You need the manual?" he replied. And he went into the back room and
brought out a manual.

"Where's the leather strap?" I asked.

"Oh! You want the strap?" he replied. And he produced the strap.

I should have just walked out, but I remember being excited about getting
the camera, so I played this silly game until the salesman brought out
everything that I should have received in the first place. The camera has
performed flawlessly, and I still use it today--3 decades later.

But, for $25.00 more, I could have bought that same body from a legitimate
dealer, right in my own home town, with all the accessories and the
Honeywell warranty card. I could have avoided driving to New York, paying
tolls for the NJ Turnpike and the Holland Tunnel, and I probably would

have
come out about the same, after allowing for transportation costs.

Thinking back on the experience, it is amazing how foolish we become about
shaving a couple of bucks off the purchase price. And those crooked

camera
dealers know how to exploit our weakness (or stupidity) to the max.

By the way, although Wall Street Camera is no longer operating, that
hometown camera dealer, Fishkin Brothers, is still going strong, at the

same
location in New Jersey, even though their prices are a tad higher than the
New York camera stores' prices.

There is more to value than just low price.

Another common trick is to sell the unitiated a slower lens at the faster
lens' price.....An f/1.8 at the f/1.4 price, for example....If those guys
even smell that you don't know the difference, then watch out!