ABES OF Maine

Old July 11th 04, 02:15 PM
Gary Eickmeier

Default ABES OF Maine

J?rg Preddimann wrote:
Michael Neville wrote in message news:TYZGc.9898$eO.3615@edtnps89...

My wife is thinking of ordering a lens on-line from Abes of Maine. Any
stories about ABes that I should be aware of before we ink the deal?

Thanks
Michael

Abe's is one of the best online merchants you can find. I have found
them to be exceptional in both service and price. And as an
international customer, I was not let down. They even offer a special
service for European customers which pre-clears your order though
customs before it leaves the USA. You are probably in the USA, so this
may not affect you. My American friends and photography associates
have all given me similar reports of the quality of this merchant.
Stay away from B&H Photo, Adorama, Beach Camera, and New Egg. They are
known to add false charges to people's credit cards.

Regarding the lense you want to buy, is it a Sigma?

--

Jörg Preddimann

DANGER - DANGER WIL ROBINSON -

Gary Eickmeier

Old July 11th 04, 02:42 PM
Rich

"J?rg Preddimann" wrote in message
om...
[...]

As far as Abe's of Maine, check out their rating at:

Adorama

B&H Photo:

I've been dealing with B&H Photo for 30 years.

Rich

Old July 11th 04, 06:33 PM
long hauler

J?rg Preddimann wrote:
[...]

Yo Jorg!
I have bought *thousands of US dollars* in merchandise from
B&H in the last year alone. Never a problem, never any
"false charges".

Old July 11th 04, 07:23 PM
Jeremy

Michael Neville wrote in message
My wife is thinking of ordering a lens on-line from Abes of Maine. Any
stories about ABes that I should be aware of before we ink the deal?

Numerous individuals have complained about them. Note that they did name
their business "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

Old July 11th 04, 07:33 PM
Gary Eickmeier

Jeremy wrote:

Numerous individuals have complained about them. Note that they did name
their business "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

They did? I thought it was just Abe's of Maine. When did they change it?

Gary Eickmeier

Old July 12th 04, 02:06 AM
Gary Eickmeier

nikki wrote:
I was responding to the OP's request for info on Abes. His name is
Michael, not GP. You might want to read a message before you respond
to it, Gary.
nikki

Gary Eickmeier wrote in message ...

nikki wrote:

Michael Neville wrote in message news:TYZGc.9898$eO.3615@edtnps89...

My wife is thinking of ordering a lens on-line from Abes of Maine. Any
stories about ABes that I should be aware of before we ink the deal?

Thanks
Michael

From the reviews I have seen on the internet, Abes has a reputation as
switch artists. Lots of people have written about bad experiences with
Abes. I've never used them and probably never will. Look at B&H Photo.
I have used them(100% satisfied). They are about the cheapest and have
the highest rating And the most sales on the internet.
nikki

On my server the OP for this thread is J?rg Preddiman. Are you saying
your response was re-pasted into this thread from the original?

Gary Eickmeier

Old July 12th 04, 02:18 AM
Stan

Jeremy wrote:

"Gary Eickmeier" wrote in message
. ..

Jeremy wrote:

Numerous individuals have complained about them. Note that they did

name
their business "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

They did? I thought it was just Abe's of Maine. When did they change it?

Gary Eickmeier

Sorry, I should have proofread that before I sent it. I meant to say that
they did NOT call themselves "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

Mea Culpa!

I don't know for sure, but it seems to me that they were "Honest Abe's"
a long time back (about 25 years ago). Maybe it was another outfit, or
maybe Abe's just sounds good with "honest" in front of it. Honest.

--
* * * To reply, remove numbers from address.

Stan http://www.neworleansphotographs.com

http://www.atneworleans.com
http://www.sbeckart.com/sbeck
Old July 12th 04, 08:47 PM
George

k.net...

Jeremy wrote:

Numerous individuals have complained about them. Note that they did

name
their business "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

They did? I thought it was just Abe's of Maine. When did they change it?

Gary Eickmeier

Sorry, I should have proofread that before I sent it. I meant to say that
they did NOT call themselves "HONEST Abe's of Maine."

Mea Culpa!

Actually, I think Focus Cameras used to have a fineprint tagline that called
itself
"Honest Abe's Focus Cameras"...I believe they have dropped it some time
back,
probably to avoid confusion with Abe's of Maine (amazingly located in the
general
NYC area). I have ordered filters and stuff ($100) without any problems
from
Focus Cameras.

What you've really gotta watch for is most of the shady NYC camera stores
with
bad reputations are advertising using new, high-tech digital sounding names.

Old July 12th 04, 11:50 PM
Gene E. Bloch

(nikki) wrote in
m:

nikki wrote:

Michael Neville wrote in message

My wife is thinking of ordering a lens on-line from Abes of
Maine. Any stories about ABes that I should be aware of
before we ink the deal?

Thanks
Michael

From the reviews I have seen on the internet, Abes has a
reputation as switch artists. Lots of people have written
about bad experiences with Abes. I've never used them and
probably never will. Look at B&H Photo. I have used them(100%
satisfied). They are about the cheapest and have the highest
rating And the most sales on the internet. nikki

On my server the OP for this thread is J?rg Preddiman. Are you
saying your response was re-pasted into this thread from the
original?

Gary Eickmeier

Michael Neville is the original poster(7 July). GP didn't post
until 11 July.
My first message that you responded to had no mention of GP in
it(go back and look). That's why I said you posted without
reading. Maybe your NG is getting different postings. Either way,
it's No big deal. nikki

FWIW, the thread starts with George Preddy (in a slightly
Scandinavian sock puppet) in my reader too.

Perhaps in his reply GP added some newsgroups to the original list
(I'm reading it in rec.video.desktop).

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com