A smart choice

Old September 22nd 11, 12:16 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

Default A smart choice

A co-worker's daughter is a high school senior. She's been taking photography
courses and has become seriously interested. Her parents had promised her a
trip to a destination of her choice as a graduation present, but she has now
requested a Canon T3i instead! :^)

Bob
Old September 22nd 11, 01:21 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

On 9/21/2011 7:16 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
A co-worker's daughter is a high school senior. She's been taking photography
courses and has become seriously interested. Her parents had promised her a
trip to a destination of her choice as a graduation present, but she has now
requested a Canon T3i instead! :^)

Bob

Sounds like a smart kid. The only thing she may lose is the picking of a
destination.
Are her parents taking the trip without her?

--
Peter
Old September 22nd 11, 02:17 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 20:21:03 -0400, PeterN
wrote:
: On 9/21/2011 7:16 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
: A co-worker's daughter is a high school senior. She's been taking photography
: courses and has become seriously interested. Her parents had promised her a
: trip to a destination of her choice as a graduation present, but she has now
: requested a Canon T3i instead! :^)
:
: Bob
:
: Sounds like a smart kid. The only thing she may lose is the picking of a
: destination.
: Are her parents taking the trip without her?

Dunno. Didn't think to ask. ;^)

Just for context, take a look at www.nicolasguevara.com. Guevara graduated
from that high school in the spring and is now a freshman photography major at
New York University. Note particularly his "Faces" gallery - pictures he took
of other students a couple of years ago. I haven't seen any of my colleague's
daughter's work, but I think it's fair to say that she has a tough act to
follow.

Bob
Old September 22nd 11, 06:58 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul in Houston TX

wrote:
[...]

Wow! Excellent. "Street People" especially so.
Old September 22nd 11, 01:26 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
PeterN

wrote:
[...]

I see what you mean. He is not afraid to explore high key in areas where
it is not in fashion to do so. But creative young people are like that.

Fine art photography is a tough field. I wish those kids the best.

--
Peter
Old September 23rd 11, 03:20 AM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

:
: wrote:
: : On 9/21/2011 7:16 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
: : A co-worker's daughter is a high school senior. She's been taking photography
: : courses and has become seriously interested. Her parents had promised her a
: : trip to a destination of her choice as a graduation present, but she has now
: : requested a Canon T3i instead! :^)
: :
: : Bob
: :
: : Sounds like a smart kid. The only thing she may lose is the picking of a
: : destination.
: : Are her parents taking the trip without her?
:
: Dunno. Didn't think to ask. ;^)
:
: Just for context, take a look at www.nicolasguevara.com. Guevara
: graduated from that high school in the spring and is now a freshman
: photography major at New York University. Note particularly his
: "Faces" gallery - pictures he took of other students a couple of
: years ago. I haven't seen any of my colleague's daughter's work,
: but I think it's fair to say that she has a tough act to follow.
:
: As much as I like cameras, she might have been better off with an old
: XTI than a new T3i -- and to have begged to have had the vacation, too.
: Then she would have had a ton of time to try out her new camera in a
: place that inspires her.

Interesting thought. As it happens, that's a comparison I know something
about. Five years ago, when Martha and I upgraded from P&Ses, we each got an
XTi. And Martha's current camera is a T2i, the T3i's very similar predecessor.
While we both got some really good pictures with our XTi's, the T2i is a far
better camera: better color, more accurate exposure, less noise at high ISO,
higher dynamic range, more intuitive controls, etc.

But I'm told that the main reason my colleague's daughter asked for a T3i is
that it's the model she's been using in her high school photography classes,
so she's already familiar with it. In these economically troubled times, few
Massachusetts cities or towns can afford to provide such good equipment to
their students. Fortunately, we still can.

The T3i is also the camera the City bought last spring for our Public
Information Officer. I had recommended a T2i, but it was temporarily
unavailable, and the funding would expire at the end of the fiscal year. So
they bought her a T3i instead.

Bob
Old September 23rd 11, 05:39 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
lisa in mass.

Robert Coe wrote in
:

The T3i is also the camera the City bought last spring for
our Public Information Officer. I had recommended a T2i, but
it was temporarily unavailable, and the funding would expire
at the end of the fiscal year. So they bought her a T3i
instead.

Interesting. We gave my son a T2i (instead of the T3i) as a high
school graduation gift last spring. He didn't know that he could
have had a trip to Europe, instead. He's having a blast with that
camera. He had an older P&S Canon that he always used in manual
mode, so was ready.