Nikon D2X & 2GB memory cards

Old November 7th 05, 08:04 PM
Christopher Yeung

Default Nikon D2X & 2GB memory cards

I understand that if a memory card is formatted with FAT16 using the
D2X, at max only 2GB can be used. In order to make use of memory space
above the 2GB limit for higher capacity memory cards, I need to format
it using FAT32.

My question is: the D2X seems to format the card by default using FAT16,
is there an option on the camera to use FAT32 formatting instead? I try
to avoid formatting the card directly using my PC. Anyway I can't do
FAT32 formatting if I don't have my PC with me in the field (and I need
to format the memory card).

Just wonder how do other DSLR handle this situation?
Old November 8th 05, 06:02 AM
JR

The default for the D2X is FAT32 unless a card is formatted with FAT 16
then it will use FAT 16. Bottom line is the D2X will use and format a
card over 2GB in FAT32 without doing anything special. Just format as
usual and shoot.

JR
Old November 10th 05, 10:49 AM
Christopher Yeung

Thanks JR for replying. Just to add to complete the story, below is the
response I got from Nikon support:

"If your CF card is formatted as FAT32 the D2X will also quick format as
FAT32, however if the card is formatted as FAT16 the camera will quick
format as FAT16.
Therefore if you format the card in your computer as FAT32 and then the
problem will be resolved."

So apparently D2X does a quick format and hence doesn't check for the
capacity of the memory card used.