Difference in Memory Cards??

Old April 6th 05, 11:47 AM
Carol L

Default Difference in Memory Cards??

Would someone please explain the difference in SD Memory and Multimedia
cards? I've ordered a Canon Powershot A510 as an entry level digital camera
and find that it takes either one and I being new to all of this don't know
what each does and the better of the two. Thank you very much in advance
for any info.
Carol

Old April 6th 05, 12:30 PM
David J Taylor

Carol L wrote:
Would someone please explain the difference in SD Memory and
Multimedia cards?

[]

SD is the newer technology and faster than the older MMC.
Buy SD only today.

Cheers,
David

Old April 6th 05, 02:13 PM
Carol L

If SD is the way to go then are some brands better than others and if so
which. Thanks, Carol

Old April 6th 05, 02:28 PM
David J Taylor

Carol L wrote:
If SD is the way to go then are some brands better than others and if
so which. Thanks, Carol

I have bought 1GB Kingmax Platinum SD (and my wife has both 1GB and 512MB
Kingmax Platinum SD) and we have not been disappointed. It is thinner
than some other brands, and does not have a write-protect switch. We
choose that brand because it was cost-effective while offering the higher
reading speed which would benefit our USB 2.0 Hi-Speed card reader.

Doubtless others will have their own favourites - SanDisk and Lexar are
good makes.

Cheers,
David

Old April 6th 05, 02:49 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Carol L
wrote:

If SD is the way to go then are some brands better than others and if so
which. Thanks, Carol

I use Lexar exclusively and have never had a problem.
Old April 6th 05, 02:49 PM
Randall Ainsworth

Old April 6th 05, 02:56 PM
Carol L

I have so much to learn that this is just baffling my mind. So many
things to read and digest on getting the camera and now on what I need extra
for it. I guess then comes learning how to work it. Too much for this 55
year old gal. Thanks again for your time and knowledge.

Old April 6th 05, 04:40 PM
Ron Hunter

Carol L wrote:
Would someone please explain the difference in SD Memory and Multimedia
cards? I've ordered a Canon Powershot A510 as an entry level digital camera
and find that it takes either one and I being new to all of this don't know
what each does and the better of the two. Thank you very much in advance
for any info.
Carol

Bottom line is that the SD cards are cheaper, and more available.
Wouldn't consider the MMC cards unless you already have some on hand.

--
Ron Hunter
Old April 6th 05, 04:42 PM
Ron Hunter

Carol L wrote:
If SD is the way to go then are some brands better than others and if so
which. Thanks, Carol

" SD is the newer technology and faster than the older MMC.

Buy SD only today.

Cheers,
David

Some are faster (and cost more), but you may or may not see any
difference in the camera, only in a card reader (if you have a USB 2.0
or Firewire model). For what it is worth, I get a couple more pictures
on my Lexar card than on the Sandisk ones of the same capacity. Go figure.

--
Ron Hunter

memory cards Don B Digital Photography 5 January 8th 05 05:52 PM
Pentax Optio 33LF Memory Cards Question Mr No Spam Digital Photography 2 November 24th 04 01:11 AM
Are smaller memory cards better? [email protected] Digital Photography 10 October 15th 04 08:28 AM
Alternative to buying lots of memory cards? NoNameAtAll Digital Photography 10 June 28th 04 11:15 PM
Best price on multimedia memory cards? ArtKramr Digital Photo Equipment For Sale 2 April 23rd 04 06:23 PM