Developer for Acros?

Old March 30th 04, 04:49 PM
Mark in Maine

Default Developer for Acros?

OK - Phase II in my search for a new film to replace the now
discontinued Plus-X. I'm going to try out a variety of new films - I
have some FP4+, I am going to try TMAX-100 Again, and I have ordered a
box of Acros quickloads. Given the cost of Acros quickloads, I am
reluctant to burn a lot of film testing - and am wondering if I can
get the opinions of the group on what developers I should try.

I was always a big fan of HC-110 - and it is one of the staples in my
darkroom, I also use a fair amount of D-76. - Any reasons that I
shouldn't consider those for the Acros - or are there compelling
reasons to try a new developer as well?

Mark

Old March 30th 04, 06:36 PM
Fëdor Pavlovic'

"Mark in Maine" ha scritto nel messaggio ...
OK - Phase II in my search for a new film to replace the now
discontinued Plus-X. I'm going to try out a variety of new films - I
have some FP4+, I am going to try TMAX-100 Again, and I have ordered a
box of Acros quickloads. Given the cost of Acros quickloads, I am
reluctant to burn a lot of film testing - and am wondering if I can
get the opinions of the group on what developers I should try.

I was always a big fan of HC-110 - and it is one of the staples in my
darkroom, I also use a fair amount of D-76. - Any reasons that I
shouldn't consider those for the Acros - or are there compelling
reasons to try a new developer as well?

I use acros and HC110, exposed at 80 iso, HC110 1+47 20 C° for condenser print developed time is 7'.

ciao

Old March 30th 04, 06:41 PM
David Nebenzahl

Default More horse races: HC-110 vs. D-76 this time

On 3/30/2004 9:36 AM Fëdor Pavlovic' spake thus:

"Mark in Maine" ha scritto nel
messaggio ...

OK - Phase II in my search for a new film to replace the now
discontinued Plus-X. I'm going to try out a variety of new films - I
have some FP4+, I am going to try TMAX-100 Again, and I have ordered a
box of Acros quickloads. Given the cost of Acros quickloads, I am
reluctant to burn a lot of film testing - and am wondering if I can get
the opinions of the group on what developers I should try.

I was always a big fan of HC-110 - and it is one of the staples in my
darkroom, I also use a fair amount of D-76. - Any reasons that I
shouldn't consider those for the Acros - or are there compelling reasons
to try a new developer as well?

I use acros and HC110, exposed at 80 iso, HC110 1+47 20 C° for condenser
print developed time is 7'.

OK; how does HC-110 compare, grain-wise, with, say, D-76? (Assume Dilution B
for the HC-110).

--
.... but never have I encountered a guy who could not be bothered
to make his own case on his own show.

- Eric Alterman on his appearance on Dennis Miller's bomb of a show
on CNBC (3/17/04)

Old March 30th 04, 07:54 PM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
Mark in Maine wrote:

OK - Phase II in my search for a new film to replace the now
discontinued Plus-X. I'm going to try out a variety of new films - I
have some FP4+, I am going to try TMAX-100 Again, and I have ordered a
box of Acros quickloads. Given the cost of Acros quickloads, I am
reluctant to burn a lot of film testing - and am wondering if I can
get the opinions of the group on what developers I should try.

I was always a big fan of HC-110 - and it is one of the staples in my
darkroom, I also use a fair amount of D-76. - Any reasons that I
shouldn't consider those for the Acros - or are there compelling
reasons to try a new developer as well?

Mark

I would test ( you can always cut a 4x5 sheet into sections) !!!!
As my first experience with Acros I used D76 according
to the Acros spec sheet, I got a pretty contrasty negative with
more grain than I typically like.

Not a big fan of either of those two developers. HC110B was one of the
tests I ran in View Camera. I would try HC110 "E" for personal
use as opposed to the standard "B". B stands for boyz,..... as in lazy
Boyz that feel compelled to use short development times,....
give me ten minutes in the soup any day !!!!

I opt for D23 instead of D76 as you get better highlight seperation
used 1+1.

That stated; its all about personal tastes.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

Old March 30th 04, 08:01 PM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

OK; how does HC-110 compare, grain-wise, with, say, D-76? (Assume Dilution B
for the HC-110).

Well then it depends on the dilution of the D76, straight D76 I think will give more grain,...
especially if you are using Tri X to compare the two. HC110B will give you more contrast
especially if you are following mfgr's data. 1to1 D76 may be on par or perhaps a little finer.

But HC110 "E" compared against D76 (1to1) is the clear winner.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

Old March 30th 04, 08:05 PM
Sherman

"Mark in Maine" wrote in message
OK - Phase II in my search for a new film to replace the now
discontinued Plus-X. I'm going to try out a variety of new films - I
have some FP4+, I am going to try TMAX-100 Again, and I have ordered a
box of Acros quickloads. Given the cost of Acros quickloads, I am
reluctant to burn a lot of film testing - and am wondering if I can
get the opinions of the group on what developers I should try.

I was always a big fan of HC-110 - and it is one of the staples in my
darkroom, I also use a fair amount of D-76. - Any reasons that I
shouldn't consider those for the Acros - or are there compelling
reasons to try a new developer as well?

Mark

I usually shoot 4x5 but recently shot a couple of rolls of Acros in 120. I
didn't do any testing before hand (no irreplaceable images on those rolls).
I developed one roll in TMax RS diluted 1:9 (sort of my standard developer)
and one in Diafine. The other is in queue in my darkroom now.

The TMax RS 1:9 at 75 degrees F at 9 minutes did a good job but I think it
would have been better at 8 minutes and maybe even a little less.

The Diafine produced really excellent negatives. They have a full range of
contrast and extremely fine grain. The film was exposed in normal to
slightly higher than normal contrast conditions which is where I find
Diafine does the best job, regardless of film.

I don't have any experience with Acros except for these two rolls so take my
results with a truck load of salt but I think you could use your favorite
developer and use your Plus-X times as a starting point and not be too far
off.

Sherman

Old March 30th 04, 08:11 PM
Fëdor Pavlovic'

"David Nebenzahl" ha scritto nel messaggio ...
On 3/30/2004 9:36 AM Fëdor Pavlovic' spake thus:

"Mark in Maine" ha scritto nel
messaggio ...

OK - Phase II in my search for a new film to replace the now
discontinued Plus-X. I'm going to try out a variety of new films - I
have some FP4+, I am going to try TMAX-100 Again, and I have ordered a
box of Acros quickloads. Given the cost of Acros quickloads, I am
reluctant to burn a lot of film testing - and am wondering if I can get
the opinions of the group on what developers I should try.

I was always a big fan of HC-110 - and it is one of the staples in my
darkroom, I also use a fair amount of D-76. - Any reasons that I
shouldn't consider those for the Acros - or are there compelling reasons
to try a new developer as well?

I use acros and HC110, exposed at 80 iso, HC110 1+47 20 C° for condenser
print developed time is 7'.

OK; how does HC-110 compare, grain-wise, with, say, D-76? (Assume Dilution B
for the HC-110).

I don't know, I do not used D-76.

Old March 31st 04, 04:49 AM
John

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 09:41:04 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

OK; how does HC-110 compare, grain-wise, with, say, D-76? (Assume Dilution B
for the HC-110).

Try it and let us know your opinions ?

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old March 31st 04, 04:54 AM
Ming

I don't like Acros. I tried 2 rolls of it and it doesn't stay flat under
the enlarger and change shape DURING it is exposured. I am going to make a
try on Tmax or Delta.

Ming.

¦b Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:49:25 GMT, Mark in Maine
¼g¹D: