Are used D7000's holding their value?

Old February 17th 13, 05:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

Default Are used D7000's holding their value?

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 18:24:45 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:
: I remember how long it took for cameras like the D90 and D300 as used
: to drop significantly in price. The 7000 (at least in this case)
: seems to be going down a lot faster.
:
: http://www.henrys.com/66850-USED-NIK...--8-Plus-.aspx

Full disclosu I'm winging this a bit, without looking up release dates,
etc. But my impression is that ...

The principal competitor of the D90 (the Canon T1i) never quite measured up.
(And didn't have Ashton Kutcher stepping in punchbowls to advertise it on TV.)
And the principal competitor of the D300 (the Canon 7D) was a bit late to the
party. But the D7000's formidable competition (the T2/3/4i) was right there in
its face all along, possibly resulting in fiercer competition on the used
market.

Bob
Old February 17th 13, 08:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On 17/02/2013 5:27 p.m., Robert Coe wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 18:24:45 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:
: I remember how long it took for cameras like the D90 and D300 as used
: to drop significantly in price. The 7000 (at least in this case)
: seems to be going down a lot faster.
:
: http://www.henrys.com/66850-USED-NIK...--8-Plus-.aspx

Full disclosu I'm winging this a bit, without looking up release dates,
etc. But my impression is that ...

The principal competitor of the D90 (the Canon T1i) never quite measured up.
(And didn't have Ashton Kutcher stepping in punchbowls to advertise it on TV.)
And the principal competitor of the D300 (the Canon 7D) was a bit late to the
party. But the D7000's formidable competition (the T2/3/4i) was right there in
its face all along, possibly resulting in fiercer competition on the used
market.

The D7000 still has a remarkable sensor with greater dynamic range than
many full-frame cameras at base ISO, the AF system is still current in
Nikon's range, and the ergonomics are pretty good.
I guess that as a "consumer" model with likely replacement very soon,
people may be dumping them.
The D5200 seems to demonstrate that 24mp is possible in Dx format, with
something to gain over 16mp, and nothing lost (except data storage space).

Old February 17th 13, 02:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rob

wrote:
[...]

I have a D90 here and was toying buying another DX as a replacement
which would have been the D7000.

The D90 has been a good camera very reliable takes video Has low mileage.

Do I want another DX format camera after using the D800 - no. I rather
enjoy what FF has to offer.

Nikon has knocked the market about with each successive release being
higher pixels and lower pricing. What chance have you got trying to
trade a used digital camera.

My first digital camera was the D100 6Mp 3 frame buffer, costing about
$3000 AUD in 2003. Roll on 2013 and the D800 is under $3500 AUD

Just to getting a bit side tracked - tried out a friends D5100 that he
bought on special. Small form comfortable in hand, but gee looses a lot
of features which I have become accustomed, even compared with the D100
D200 D300 D90.

Old February 17th 13, 02:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 20:17:16 +1300, Me wrote:
: On 17/02/2013 5:27 p.m., Robert Coe wrote:
: On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 18:24:45 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:
: : I remember how long it took for cameras like the D90 and D300 as used
: : to drop significantly in price. The 7000 (at least in this case)
: : seems to be going down a lot faster.
: :
[...]

Two people in my office have the D7000, and both are very happy with it. I
don't think the extra 8Mp will get either of them to switch.

Bob
Old February 18th 13, 02:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 20:17:16 +1300, Me wrote:
: The D7000 still has a remarkable sensor with greater dynamic range than
: many full-frame cameras at base ISO, the AF system is still current in
: Nikon's range, and the ergonomics are pretty good.
: I guess that as a "consumer" model with likely replacement very soon,
: people may be dumping them.
: The D5200 seems to demonstrate that 24mp is possible in Dx format, with
: something to gain over 16mp, and nothing lost (except data storage
space).

Two people in my office have the D7000, and both are very happy with it. I
don't think the extra 8Mp will get either of them to switch.

Why would they if like many people I know they only print 6"x4" with the
occasional 8"x10" print.
Those who take their photography seriously are far more likely to buy a D800
as the replacement.
The 5200 may be a good camera for those upgrading from older base models or
compacts though.

Trevor.

Old February 18th 13, 05:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 12:34:38 +1100, "Trevor" wrote:
:
: "Robert Coe" wrote in message
: news : On Sun, 17 Feb 2013 20:17:16 +1300, Me wrote:
[...]

What you say is true as far as it goes, but depends on a rather narrow
definition of "take their photography seriously". I take my photography
seriously, but hardly ever make large prints. Most of my photographs are
displayed only on computers. Those that do get printed (for report covers,
brochures, etc.) or find their way into newspapers are usually pretty small in
size. Once in a great while someone will toy with the idea of pasting my
pictures on the side of a truck or something similar, and then it occurs to me
that it might be nice to have a camera with higher resolution. But if one of
those ideas ever came to fruition, we'd probably just go out and rent a
Hasselblad or something.

It's another matter, I guess, if you enter gallery shows, etc. Print sizes in
many such venues have become truly ludicrous in recent years.

Bob
Old February 18th 13, 05:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
: Two people in my office have the D7000, and both are very happy with
it. I
: don't think the extra 8Mp will get either of them to switch.
:
: Why would they if like many people I know they only print 6"x4" with the
: occasional 8"x10" print.
: Those who take their photography seriously are far more likely to buy a
D800
: as the replacement.
: The 5200 may be a good camera for those upgrading from older base models
or
: compacts though.

What you say is true as far as it goes, but depends on a rather narrow
definition of "take their photography seriously". I take my photography
seriously, but hardly ever make large prints.

Well in my definition, someone who never really sees his photo's is not too
serious. Of course you are entitled to your own definition.

Most of my photographs are displayed only on computers.

So you don't require a D800 then. Others might.

Those that do get printed (for report covers,
brochures, etc.) or find their way into newspapers are usually pretty
small in
size.

So a few extra meagapixels is irrelevant to you as I suggested.

Once in a great while someone will toy with the idea of pasting my
pictures on the side of a truck or something similar, and then it occurs
to me
that it might be nice to have a camera with higher resolution. But if one
of
those ideas ever came to fruition, we'd probably just go out and rent a
Hasselblad or something.

That's probably the right thing to do, except what often happens is you take
a photo that could be used for such purposes, and wish you had a better
image because you can't take it again.

It's another matter, I guess, if you enter gallery shows, etc. Print sizes
in
many such venues have become truly ludicrous in recent years.

Perhaps, but if you only ever print 6"x4" the D7000 is probably already
overkill.

Trevor.

Old February 18th 13, 11:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Peirce[_2_]

In article , "Trevor"
wrote:

Why would they if like many people I know they only print 6"x4" with the
occasional 8"x10" print.
Those who take their photography seriously are far more likely to buy a D800
as the replacement.
The 5200 may be a good camera for those upgrading from older base models or
compacts though.

My first digital camera only had 4Mp and I printed up to 12"x18" with
it. The key is whether people are going to look at the print from
normal viewing distances or through a magnifying glass.

From what I have seen and read, printing much over 300-360dpi is a waste
of ink no matter how closely it is viewed. Even prints down to 100dpi
can look great from a reasonable viewing distance. 16Mp will allow
12"x18" prints at 272dpi. You don't really need 24Mp
Old February 18th 13, 02:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-02-18 02:11:07 -0800, Robert Peirce said:

In article , "Trevor"
wrote:

Why would they if like many people I know they only print 6"x4" with the
occasional 8"x10" print.
Those who take their photography seriously are far more likely to buy a D800
as the replacement.
The 5200 may be a good camera for those upgrading from older base models or
compacts though.

My first digital camera only had 4Mp and I printed up to 12"x18" with
it. The key is whether people are going to look at the print from
normal viewing distances or through a magnifying glass.

From what I have seen and read, printing much over 300-360dpi is a waste
of ink no matter how closely it is viewed. Even prints down to 100dpi
can look great from a reasonable viewing distance. 16Mp will allow
12"x18" prints at 272dpi. You don't really need 24Mp

I agree. My D300S with its puny 12.3MP sensor is capable of producing
images which can be printed at 12X18 (13X19 being the largest simple
solution for my E2880) indistinguishable from anything produced from
24MB image files. Any larger prints I trust to Bayphoto and they have
been able to present me with astonishing enlargements from image files
produced via my D300S.
http://db.tt/GvAFmtLY
http://db.tt/e0SRj5PB

At a time my primary cameras were my, then 25, now 37 year old K1000
and my then 32 now 44 year old Yashica Electro 35, my first digital
camera was a 2.1MP CoolPix 775, which served its purpose as a snapshot
camera from which I have been able to get some acceptable 8X10 prints.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil.../DSCN0201w.jpg

Savageduck

Old February 18th 13, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Hare-Scott

On 2013-02-18 02:11:07 -0800, Robert Peirce
said:
In article , "Trevor"
wrote:

Why would they if like many people I know they only print 6"x4"
with the occasional 8"x10" print.
Those who take their photography seriously are far more likely to
buy a D800 as the replacement.
The 5200 may be a good camera for those upgrading from older base
models or compacts though.

My first digital camera only had 4Mp and I printed up to 12"x18" with
it. The key is whether people are going to look at the print from
normal viewing distances or through a magnifying glass.

From what I have seen and read, printing much over 300-360dpi is a
waste of ink no matter how closely it is viewed. Even prints down
[...]

I understand what you are saying about print quality and image resolution
but it leads me to a question. Is what you are saying assuming that the
original image isn't cropped before printing? So it seems to me that if you
had 24MP at your disposal you could crop it by 50% and still get that good
quality A3 print. If this is correct isn't that an advantage to the higher
resolution camera in many circumstances?

David