Snapshots of Afghanistan - August 2009

Old August 28th 09, 09:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris H

Default Snapshots of Afghanistan - August 2009

In message , Bill Graham
writes

"Elliott Roper" wrote in message news:26082009194843

Why are us Western idiots bombing the B'Jasus out of those beautiful
people? I don't care if they look static and posed. I'd like to be able
to sit down and hear their story, just after looking at their faces.
Why can't we just get along?

I believe we are attempting to bomb the B'Jesus out of the terrorists
who took out our twin towers and their supporters.

Then you are WRONG... the terrorists who took out the twin tower were
Saudis. (Saudi has a far more oppressive regime than Afghanistan

(The Taliban) If you want to turn your back on those actions, then be
my guest. But don't bitch at me for taking the fight over there. I am
only exhibiting common sense.

Not at all. This was discussed at length on uk-current-events,terrorisum
NG for the last 8 years and not only was it NOT common sense, the US hit
the WRONG target and has made a complete mess of it.

I was only just, "getting along" on September 10th, 2001. But there
were others who obviously didn't want to just, "get along" with me.

That is written by some one with their head in the sand.

People reap what they sew in this world.......

Very true which is why Al-Qeada launched three *RETALIATION* attacks.
The WTC being the third one. The WCT attack was by Saudis. The first
two was by Africans and Arabs. None were Afghans.

Old August 28th 09, 09:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris H

In message , Kulvinder Singh
Matharu writes
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 07:54:21 -0400, Walter Banks
wrote:

What took you to Afghanistan? You have done some interesting trips
Sorry about the lens.

I'm not sure, really. I'd been to Syria and Lebanon and was very
interested in Greek, Roman and Persian histories. So that made
Afghanistan a candidate for visiting...and I guess I took the phrase
"off the beaten path" to heart!

What is your occupation that you can travel so much? (Not that I am
insanely jealous :-) You have some fantastic photos.

I have wanted to travel a lot more but family and work precludes that.
And "when I retire" seems to be more of a dream than an actuality.

Old August 28th 09, 01:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
J. Clarke

Chris Malcolm wrote:
In rec.photo.digital.slr-systems B. Colton wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:38:38 -0500, Douglas Johnson
wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

Your "portraits" of people are too static and posed (although very
detailed and rich), so shots like the farmers working tell us more
about the people than a mere impromptu portrait. More of that and
less of the posed shots would have been welcome.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. There are some very
interesting faces in that collection. It's fun to think about the
things that formed those faces.

The images of how much artillery is an important part of their lives
says much about the ignorance of their culture and childish chosen
religion(s).

It says that for the last hundred or so years they've been fighting a
civil war and been fighting off invading foreign armies who were
taking sides at the same time.

This could be why the rest of the world has advanced into the 21st
century and they're still a 3rd-world country with nothing but rocks
and sand to show for their beliefs and values for the last 2000
years.

I think it's very impressive that they beat off the Russian army and
are now giving the US army a very hard time.

Who is "giving the US army a very hard time"? So far the US loses about as
many soldiers in Afghanistan every year as it loses cops at home. The
Soviet Union lost almost 15,000 soldiers in 10 years in Afghanistan. So far
the US has lost about 800. The US casualty rates for both Afghanistan and
Iraq are _tiny_ compared to any previous war.

Old August 28th 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Walter Banks

Bill Graham wrote:

I believe we are attempting to bomb the B'Jesus out of the terrorists who
took out our twin towers and their supporters. (The Taliban) If you want to
turn your back on those actions, then be my guest. But don't bitch at me for
taking the fight over there. I am only exhibiting common sense. I was only
just, "getting along" on September 10th, 2001. But there were others who
obviously didn't want to just, "get along" with me. People reap what they
sew in this world.......

That is like saying you are guilty of murder for the slaying of a gang
member in the east end of Toronto by a Jamaican whose mother
lived for a time as an illegal in the US.

Old August 28th 09, 03:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:27:07 +0100, Chris H
wrote:

[snip]
What is your occupation that you can travel so much? (Not that I am
insanely jealous :-) You have some fantastic photos.

I'm a telecoms engineer (Engineering & Assurance Manager)...although
people say that I'm actually a photographer who just happens to do
telecoms

I've always been interested in photography (helping dad in dark
room!) and I always wanted to travel. I guess I only started
traveling after I graduated and earned enough cash to feed my
increasing expensive hobbies! These were the days before the phrase
"gap year" existed!

I try to fit in at least one major holiday every year.

I have wanted to travel a lot more but family and work precludes that.
And "when I retire" seems to be more of a dream than an actuality.

Work is pretty flexible and understanding with regards to time. As
for family...I'm holding off on that for the time being
--
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

Website : www.metalvortex.com
Contact : www.metalvortex.com/contact/

"Brain" and "brain"! What is "brain"?!
Old August 28th 09, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_3_]

? "Kulvinder Singh Matharu" ?????? ???
?????? ...
I've just returned from a trip around Afghanistan and have put some
of the more decent photos online here using a Flash-based engine:

http://www.ninjatrek.com/

You will need to select "Album" from the menu and then click on
"Afghanistan". From the "View" option you can adjust the
functionality of the presentation.

I took the following equipment:

1. Nikon D700 camera + 2 x 32GB CF cards + four batteries
2. Nikon AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D IF ED
3. Nikon AF-S VR 105mm f/2.8G IF ED Micro
4. Nikon AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF ED

However, I soon dropped my 70-300mm lens into the bottom of a lake so
was left with the 17-35mm lens and the 105mm lens for most of my
shoots which was a bit of a challenge; I just had to re-adjust my
photographic mind set and use my feet a bit more!

The dust was incredible. It was constant and it was everywhere. Had
to be very careful with keeping the sensor clean, but I guess the
only real problem suffered was getting some dust into the lenses but
that was easily dusted off. I just need to clean the camera and
lenses now as they're looking in a bit of a state.

The camera performed well and I had no reliability issues with the
camera, lenses, batteries or CF cards. It was only the stupidity on
my part which resulted in the loss of the 70-300mm lens...I should
really use a proper lightweight camera jacket that can securely carry
these lenses. Any suggestions?

Excellent photos, despite the lens loss. Well done;-)

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Old August 28th 09, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Han Schutten[_2_]

You're too modest when you call your album "Snapshots". Beautiful
collection.
Those who like the atmosphere or the landscapes might be interested in my
images of Pakistan - taken in the era of slides and slide scanning ....
www.hsphotography.nl, go to the english section.

"Kulvinder Singh Matharu" schreef in
bericht ...

Old August 29th 09, 05:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"Chris Malcolm" wrote in message
wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

Your "portraits" of people are too static and posed (although very
detailed and rich), so shots like the farmers working tell us more
about the people than a mere impromptu portrait. More of that and
less of the posed shots would have been welcome.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. There are some very interesting
faces in that collection. It's fun to think about the things that
formed those faces.

The images of how much artillery is an important part of their lives
says much about the ignorance of their culture and childish chosen
religion(s). This could be why the rest of the world has advanced
into the 21st century and they're still a 3rd-world country with
nothing but rocks and sand to show for their beliefs and values for
the last 2000 years.

I believe that that "artillery" says more about having been invaded by
two
different superpowers in the past 30 years than it does about "the
ignorance
of their culture and childish chosen religion(s)".

As for their having nothing but rocks and sand, see above.

There is a huge difference between the relationship between the Soviets
and
Afghans and the U.S. and Afghans over the years since the middle of the
19th
century. I advise reading up on it. (Wikipedia has some nice write-ups) I
certainly wouldn't lump us together as, "Invaded by two superpowers". In
general, we (the US) has done little but give billions in friendly aid to
the Afghans over the years.

While doing nothing effective to stop the distortion of their economy
and the financing of their criminal warlords by the free world's
insatiable demand for black market heroin.

--
Chris Malcolm

Yes. Well, damned if you do, and damned if you don't......We are always
being castigated for "interfering" in the affairs of others, and Afghanistan
is one of those cases where we have avoided that. (probably because we don't
think they have any oil) So now they are bitching at us for that?

Old August 29th 09, 05:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"Chris H" wrote in message
In message , Bill Graham
writes

"J. Clarke" wrote in message news:h778ep113j0@
news2.newsguy.com...
wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

[...]

Interestingly both the Afghans and Pakistanis would lump the US and the
USSR together. They can see little between the US and USSR except the
USA has done more damage.

This is patently incorrect. Read up on it. We have steadfastly refused to
interfere in Afghani politics over the years. Certainly the USSR has done
much more damage there than have we.

Old August 29th 09, 06:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Who is "giving the US army a very hard time"? So far the US loses about
as
many soldiers in Afghanistan every year as it loses cops at home. The
Soviet Union lost almost 15,000 soldiers in 10 years in Afghanistan. So
far
the US has lost about 800. The US casualty rates for both Afghanistan and
Iraq are _tiny_ compared to any previous war.

Exactly true. And this is just another indication that we have avoided
interfering in Afghani politics over the years. Contrary to Chris' beliefs,
we haven't done anything like the damage to them that the Soviets have.