How to start your own website?

Old June 16th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.technique.nature

Default How to start your own website?

If I get my a$$ in gear, I should have a enough scanned pics soon to
load onto a website.

Where do I go to get a website? What's a good price? Are there any
where I can maintain the photos myself, rather than having them do it?

Thanks for your help.
Jim

Old June 16th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.technique.nature

In article . com,
Jimbo wrote:
If I get my a$$ in gear, I should have a enough scanned pics soon to
load onto a website.

Where do I go to get a website? What's a good price? Are there any
where I can maintain the photos myself, rather than having them do it?

Thanks for your help.
Jim

t35.com (free hosting) plus jalbum or picasa to generate
your website (free).

http://picasa.google.com/download/index.html

http://jalbum.net/

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Old June 16th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.technique.nature

Jimbo wrote
(in article
. com):

If I get my a$$ in gear, I should have a enough scanned pics soon to
load onto a website.

Where do I go to get a website? What's a good price? Are there any
where I can maintain the photos myself, rather than having them do it?

Dozens of options. If you want your own private domain name,
and not be tied in with other photographers, build your own. It
is real easy to do, even without prior experience.

First, get webhosting. Hardest part is finding a decent domain
name that isn't already taken. Start with www.nameboy.com

Someplace like godaddy.com is cheap and low-pain to set up
hosting. A few dollars a month for a lot of space.

If you're using a Mac, it's real, real easy. Rapidweaver is the
best choice, but if you want dead simple, iWeb which is part of
the iLife suite is even simpler.

If you want to pay someone to maintain it for you, something
like pbase might be a better option, unless you just have to
have it on your own domain.

I would expect to pay very much at all for a simple photo
gallery site today. competition is fierce.

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

Old June 16th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.technique.nature

Google is offering free website space, 100MB. Quite basic and simple,
with quite a few templetes you can use. I have two and they seem to
work pretty good. The user name you choose is in the URL -
http://yourchosenname.googlepages.com/. Can't beat the price!

Search Google for "Google Pages", sign up for a Gmail e-mail address
which will be your site's name.

Bob Boudreau
Canada

Old June 16th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.technique.nature

Jimbo wrote:
If I get my a$$ in gear, I should have a enough scanned pics soon to
load onto a website.

Where do I go to get a website? What's a good price? Are there any
where I can maintain the photos myself, rather than having them do it?

Thanks for your help.
Jim

Why the **** do you want to inflict the internet with your crappy
photos of waterfalls and sunsets????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old June 16th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.technique.nature

railfan wrote
(in article
. com):

Google is offering free website space, 100MB. Quite basic and simple,
with quite a few templetes you can use. I have two and they seem to
work pretty good. The user name you choose is in the URL -
http://yourchosenname.googlepages.com/. Can't beat the price!

And you can't tweak it and maintain it to suit yourself. As I
said, there is a tradeoff between super easy to use and
functionality.

If $6 a month is too much, then perhaps the pictures aren't
worth putting on the web in the first place. If you just want
free photo space, flickr seems to do the job.

Besides, the downside is with google pages is a biggie.

From
http://www.onedegree.ca/2006/02/23/b...h-google-pages
But you might want to think twice before you hit ³publish².
See that last feature (simple memorable URLS) is also the
greatest weakness of Google Pages and I think it is going to
cause a huge headache for Gmail users. And a potential PR
nightmare for Google.

Why?

When you hit publish your site goes live at
username.googlepages.com.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact it looks like a feature - if
you can remember your Gmail address you can remember your
³Gpages² address.

The problem is it is now trivial to reverse engineer your Gmail
e-mail address. If you see a Google Pages site and want to
e-mail the author - just replace googlepages.com with gmail.com.
I was all set to tell my kids and my 85 year-old mother (all
Gmail users) that they could now post a web page or two super
easy, but Iım not going to. Iıve worked very hard to make sure
theyıre their addresses are not easy to find online and with one
click of the publish button Google will make their e-mail
addresses available to every stalker, sexual predator, phisher,
and spammer out there!

I suggest you tell those non-technical users you know and care
about that they should NOT use Gpages at this time. Right now
Iıd have to say that Gpages users are just setting themselves up
for a whole heap of spam if they decide to post a site.
How long will it take spammers to get Gmail harvesters out in
droves searching for URLs that can be converted into valid Gmail
addresses?

--
Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)

Old June 16th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.technique.nature

Jimbo wrote:

If I get my a$$ in gear, I should have a enough scanned pics soon to
load onto a website.

Where do I go to get a website? What's a good price? Are there any
where I can maintain the photos myself, rather than having them do it?

pbase.com is the best and most popular inexpensive advertising free one
I know of. If you want your own domain, 'gallery' is a free php based
program, it takes a bit of studying to set up properly but offers a
similar functionality to pbase and is very expansible and customizeable.
I wrote something similar myself though less sophisticated. Avoid static
published type formats, you want something dynamic and php/mySQL based
so that changes are easy. If you want to sell prints, I don't have good
advice for shopping carts, there are serious security issues and that
will cost money or include advertising which is annoying and unprofessional.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1
Old June 16th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.technique.nature

In article ,
Randy Howard wrote:
railfan wrote
(in article
.com):

Google is offering free website space, 100MB. Quite basic and simple,
with quite a few templetes you can use. I have two and they seem to
work pretty good. The user name you choose is in the URL -
http://yourchosenname.googlepages.com/. Can't beat the price!

And you can't tweak it and maintain it to suit yourself. As I
said, there is a tradeoff between super easy to use and
functionality.

If $6 a month is too much, then perhaps the pictures aren't
worth putting on the web in the first place. If you just want
free photo space, flickr seems to do the job.

Godaddy will give you 5BG (I think) of server space for about
$4/month. Add $10/year for your own domain name and you're set.

Look at all the free add-ons that come with that. I think there is
a photoalbum package.

That price also gives you php so if you want to fancy up your website,
someday, you'll be set.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Old June 17th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.technique.nature

Randy Howard wrote:
railfan wrote
(in article
. com):
[...]

GMail accounts are free, so just get another one that you don't use for
the title page name. Let the spam fly to this unused address.

I have multiple gmail addresses for different clubs and groups I belong
to.

B. Boudreau
Canada

Old June 17th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.technique.nature

Jimbo wrote:

If I get my a$$ in gear, I should have a enough scanned pics soon to
load onto a website.

Where do I go to get a website? What's a good price? Are there any
where I can maintain the photos myself, rather than having them do it?

Thanks for your help.
Jim

Google "websites for dummies"