Share beauties of Canadian Rockies

Old October 22nd 03, 06:51 PM
PWW

Default Share beauties of Canadian Rockies

On 10/22/03 1:14 PM, in article
, "Bill Hilton"
wrote:

What does "go after" them mean, other than raising your neck hairs and
growling
at them? Have you taken anyone to court? If so, where do you sue, their
backyard or yours? Won any judgments? Very few people have been successful
in
court on these kind of cases.

I only recently put up my web-site full time. I would put images up but take
them down quickly to prevent theft. So I don't have any experience from it
yet. Put I do try to limit my exposure to theft by, heavy watermarking,
small Image size, and low resolution.

In a previous life when I used to sell prints at Outdoor Fine Art Shows, yes
I did file a copyright infringement lawsuit against a nationally know
painter for using two of my spoonbill photos in a painting and then limited
edition prints. It took a couple of years and a lot of hair pulling but we
did settle out of court for a heck of a lot more than if he would have
licensed them from me in the first place. That is why some say, I am overly
protective of my photographs on the web.

For the most part about all you can do is get them to remove the images, I've
found. I've taken it to the lawyer stage twice but both cases it wasn't worth
pursuing in court. Are you able to get these cases prosecuted?

Wasn't worth pursuing? Are these legitimate business's using them? Are your
photographs registered with the copyright office? Copyright Cases aren't
prosecuted (criminal), but civil cases. If you have your photographs
registered they have to pay attorney fees plus, statutory and punitive
damages. A pretty big club against legitimate business's. And attorneys
should be interested if they know they can charge the infringer with all
their fees. Of course if you do NOT register with the copyright you lose
this big carrot for attorneys and club against infringers. If we don't
pursue cases it seems to me that we might be just slapping their hands and
it won't stop much. I'll let you know when it happens to me, and I find out
about it.

Just wondering ... image theft is a real nuisance. A generation that thinks
nothing of downloading music or movies also feels images should be free game
too I guess.

Agreed. But when a legitimate business has an attitude like that it is a
different matter.
--
PWW (Paul Wayne Wilson)
Over 1,000 Photographs Online at,

Old October 22nd 03, 08:49 PM
Carole

Thanks Paul, I'll give it a try. As soon as I find a job and get caught
up, PS 7.0 is on my wish list. I went to a Photoshop seminar for
photographers last summer and was really impressed with the things I saw

PWW wrote:
That might be to old for me to comment on. I am sure you can still do it
with PS 5.0 but it might be one photo at a time. With PS 7.0 I know you can
make a droplet and watermark a whole folder of photos at once.

The basic way I do it is. I make all my photos the same dimensions. With the
only difference being Vert or Horiz. Then I open 1 photo with the smallest
edge, (bottom of a Vert being the smallest edge) and make a layer with my
watermark. I then size it, place it and tweak it (opacity), to the effect I
want. I save this file as a PS file and named it 400pxl PSF template. That
way I can open it when ever I want. I then go to the layer that has the
watermark and select all and do a "copy". That saves the watermark in the
clipboard (on a Mac, I am sure Windows has a similar function). From then on
as long as you do not "copy" anything else. You can open any of the Photos
you are ready have sized correctly and do a "paste". And viola. The
watermark is on that one. Save and do the next one. And so on.

With a "droplet" you can make PS actions to do all this for you
automatically. But I do not know if PS 5.0 has that capability.

Hope that helps some.

Old October 22nd 03, 08:54 PM
Carole

PWW wrote:

Wasn't worth pursuing? Are these legitimate business's using them?

Are your
photographs registered with the copyright office?

Question: in the past I have copyrighted music that I wrote. I put it
all on one tape and sent it in as "Music from Carole Volume I". Can
photographs be done the same way, say "Photo Album of John Smith" and
include a number of them at once? Also, which form do you use to
copyright them? I'm only familiar with the music forms since I have a
friend who works for a record company.

Thanks

Old October 22nd 03, 09:13 PM
PWW

You betcha. You can register thousands at once as long as they have not been
"published" yet. All for $30. Even by jpegs on a CD. And even thousands of
Published photos as long as they were published in the same year.
http://www.copyright.gov/register/visual.html
http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2001/66fr37142.html
Form VA either short or long form.
Good Info Here
http://www.krages.com/copy1.htm
--
PWW (Paul Wayne Wilson)
Over 1,000 Photographs Online at,
http://PhotoStockFile.com

Old October 22nd 03, 10:37 PM
Liz

In message
Carole wrote:

Just wondering....I just added a photo section to my website. I put a
"no right click" javascript on all the photo pages with a friendly kind
of message that says it you would like a copy to contact me Is that
enough to stop people from stealing my photos?

No.
On RiscOS, we save with the middle button, so that doesn't work at all.

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles

Old October 29th 03, 09:05 PM
Jim Hutchison

Beautiful pictures; quite stunning.

Your guest book is broke....

jim h

http://www.jamesphotography.ca

More than photographs: free downloads, prizes, a bit of humour...

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 20:41:30 -0700, Shu wrote:

Sept 2- - Oct 4, 2003, I hiked in Canadian Rockies for two weeks.
Now the photo web for my hiking trip is up on-line.
You are cordially invited to visit the new photo gallery. Hope you will
enjoy the beauties of Canadian Rockies.

http://128.111.124.127/ssr/CanadaRockies.htm

Ronald