Medium format projection

Old November 17th 04, 06:35 PM
Arnaud B

Default Medium format projection

Hello,

Is the MF projection popular ?
Is it possible to use slides without glass ?

Regards

Old November 18th 04, 12:31 AM
Bob Monaghan

see http://medfmt.8k.com/bronslideproj.html on MF slide projectors;
prices now are quite low, you can use non-glass slides, but most of the
pros use glass slides to reduce "popping" etc.

hth bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old November 18th 04, 02:24 AM
Jos. Burke

As Bob Monaghan stated MF projectors have really come down in price!! I have
seen even the outrageously priced Hasselblad PCP 80 come way down in the
secondhand market. I had a Rollei 2 1/4 projector and was in awe at some of
my slides that I hadn't really looked that closely at before. If there is a
better way to view a slide I would like to know how. If the image is sharp
you'll see all the detail as never before and if not sharp, well!--you'll
see that too. I sold the Rollei but still have an old manual Bell & Howell
that can make those slides really look good. Under $75 for mine. I've only
used the glass type mounts!!
J Burke

Old November 18th 04, 02:35 PM
Arnaud B

Here are the results of my first research :

Here in Europe it seems rollei 66 is less wanted than the old P11 model. I'm not
sure to find the reference you told me here in europe. By the way most of the
P11 projectors are with the modest heidosmat lens.

regards

Old November 20th 04, 04:46 AM
Michael Weinstein

On 2004-11-17 12:35:31 -0500, Arnaud B said:

Hello,

Is the MF projection popular ?
Is it possible to use slides without glass ?

Regards

But if you want to project 6x7 you are looking at the impossibly
overpriced Cabin - I don't know of any lower priced ones.
--
Michael Weinstein | Never underestimate the power of
Nashua, NH | stupid people in large groups.

Old November 20th 04, 12:46 PM
Marv Soloff

One more time:

There were many slide projectos made is this country up to about 1975 or
so that took slides up to 3" x 4" (military). All you have to do is
look on eBay. Golde is one, Bausch and Lomb is another and there are
many more.I have purchased such a machine (Balopticon) for under $10
plus shipping. Your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Marv

Old November 20th 04, 08:49 PM
Bob Monaghan

the markup in USA is huge on the Cabin 6x7cm slide proj. bought new (from
MAC/Mamiya USA), but the same projector is often bought overseas for $400
new and imported for individual use under US Customs exemptions etc.
see http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/hongkong.html for related details...

grins bobm
Old November 20th 04, 10:20 PM
Marv Soloff

Lets put it this way - they were made for seventy (70) years and bought
by the hundreds of thousands. They had to be using quality glass.

Regards,

Marv

Arnaud B wrote:
What about the lens quality ?

Old November 20th 04, 10:44 PM
Marv Soloff

There is a Cabin listed on eBay at $675, a Kinderman at $275, one at
$9.95, a Hasselblad P80 at $21.00, a Bausch & Lomb at $9.95 etc, etc,
etc. You pays your money and takes your choice. Haven't seen the Kiev
66 projector listed for a while - perhaps they are no longer in production.

Regards,

Marv